Made a HUGE step

Old 05-12-2009, 09:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made a HUGE step

I came out to my brother after all these years of hiding. I got home from my group last night and sent him an email telling him everything and about all the years I've struggled. About the dual diagnosis. While I was driving home, it just hit me and I cannot explain it. I can't say whether it's a function of aging, being tired of hiding or what is up. It astonishes me, quite frankly. At any rate, I did receive an email back from him at 7:12 this a.m. For the FIRST time in my life, I actually can turn to a family member. He was very supportive and I'm still in shock. In fact, this morning I wondered if I wasn't crazy for having sent that email. Just want to share. People DO surprise us. Wow.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ok, guys, I am going to blab a bit. So bear with me please. I've had to hide my ENTIRE life from everyone, for the sake of the family. I've had to compete with big executives and the like. So, I do believe this whole thing is a failing, of sorts. I *know* they say this is a disease or some such, but to me it's just a failing. A defect.

Anyway, I cannot tell you how astounded I am, and relieved to have some support. My best friend has been threatening to contact my family. Of course, with an 87 year old Mother who is infirm, you don't exactly contact her. My Dad is 93 with Alzheimers. 'Nuff said.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Glad you're still here, Katie.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, I don't believe its a failing or a defect - that's 19th century stuff - but I get being the black sheep so I know how you can get to feel that way.

I'm glad you found an sympathetic ear, Katie.

D
Old 05-12-2009, 09:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Well, I don't believe its a failing or a defect - that's 19th century stuff - but I get being the black sheep so I know how you can get to feel that way.

I'm glad you found an sympathetic ear, Katie.

D

Thanks, D. His first wife had a problem like me. It may have well caused their divorce. He's not a stranger, but in my family one has to tow the line. Thanks, Katie.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I glad you have gotten some support and with that comes understanding...yes maybe.