SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Let's build our own treatment plan! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/175711-lets-build-our-own-treatment-plan.html)

Katie09 05-04-2009 03:57 PM

Let's build our own treatment plan!

This is what I was thinking earlier today. I am no stranger to the rehab movement. To me a huge problem lies in focusing on what NOT to do instead of WHAT to do. I've been in my group now and everything centers around avoiding a substance - like avoiding a piece of chocolate cake. I don't mind saying, but the more a person thinks about how NOT to eat a piece of chocolate cake the more a person WANTS/NEEDS a piece of chocolate cake. In fact, I never eat chocolate cake, but I can guarantee if today someone told me I wasn't supposed to eat chocolate cake I'd eat a piece of chocolate cake.

It's my belief it would be far better to come up with a blueprint for living, than a way to avoid something. So, this is just a thought that popped into my head this a.m. Thoughts? I should really sit down and put pen to paper but this is a new concept for me and would be for the whole treatment industry at large - How to get a life instead of how to avoid a life. This doesn't mean swapping addictions or spending hours on end at some meeting drinking coffee, smoking tons of cigs - rather, getting a whole and healthy and balanced life!

gneiss 05-04-2009 05:32 PM

Katie, this is perfect. I've been successful with avoiding my DOCs but I've always needed something else-- school, work, whatever-- to focus on. Constantly telling myself I can't do drugs or drink just reminds me that I wouldn't mind getting drunk and high. Eating right, exercise, and having a balance of intellectual pursuits and fun is much better than sitting in my house saying, "I can't do drugs. I don't want drugs. I won't do drugs."

It's like the old, "Don't think of an elephant" thing. You immediately think of an elephant. And of course... my elephant resides in the living room, right? :D

windysan 05-04-2009 06:02 PM

1. Don't do dope
2. See step 1

Katie09 05-04-2009 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by gneiss (Post 2217558)
Katie, this is perfect. I've been successful with avoiding my DOCs but I've always needed something else-- school, work, whatever-- to focus on. Constantly telling myself I can't do drugs or drink just reminds me that I wouldn't mind getting drunk and high. Eating right, exercise, and having a balance of intellectual pursuits and fun is much better than sitting in my house saying, "I can't do drugs. I don't want drugs. I won't do drugs."

It's like the old, "Don't think of an elephant" thing. You immediately think of an elephant. And of course... my elephant resides in the living room, right? :D

I could not agree more. Am thinking of doing something radical - along those lines of guru stuff up in Grants Pass OR. Called there today and listened to some podcasts. Seemed to be powerful just within the short time I listened. Perhaps that is my next step! At any rate, let's put our collectiveness together and maybe we can advance history (ok, I can dream, but seriously, maybe we could!)

windysan 05-04-2009 06:07 PM

i try not to think too much. it hurts my haid.

gneiss 05-04-2009 06:08 PM

Hey. One dude started that other recovery program. So why not?

Any more details, what sort of thing did you have in mind?

Katie09 05-04-2009 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by windysan (Post 2217596)
i try not to think too much. it hurts my haid.

Egads, Windysan, I just love ya so much brotha! You make me laugh!

Katie09 05-04-2009 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by gneiss (Post 2217598)
Hey. One dude started that other recovery program. So why not?

Any more details, what sort of thing did you have in mind?

I'm not sure, but we've got so many resources available to us these days. It would seem to me a matter of pulling all together to do the deal. I could contact Marty at LifeRing, someone else could call WFS in PA, someone else SMART in NY. It seems to me that the only thing lacking is someone or some people to pull all of these resources together! BTW, my horoscope did say I'd be entering a period of clarity. Maybe this is it! Of course, the one thing we'd need is money. It's one thing to have a vision, another money. Thinking, thinking here....

gneiss 05-04-2009 06:20 PM

You seem wonderfully optimistic, glad to see it. I'm familiar with LifeRing and SMART. What's WFS?

Katie09 05-04-2009 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by gneiss (Post 2217612)
You seem wonderfully optimistic, glad to see it. I'm familiar with LifeRing and SMART. What's WFS?

Thanks, gneiss! Not optimistic, but a realist. There is a real market out there for people in need (ok, do have an MBA in marketing). Still, right now is the time for SOMEONE to step forward, pull it all together and make a LOT of money!!! ::) sorry.

It's always been a dream of mine to get it together enough to do something in this arena. Who knows?....

WFS is women for sobriety. I can just see it now...the best in medicine - addiction medicine - joining forces with WFS, SMART, LifeRing and maybe even AA, provided it stays in check, all to come together to help people.

totfit 05-04-2009 07:11 PM

LifeRing Home Page

Katie09 05-04-2009 07:25 PM

gneiss, just for you....:)

The Women for Sobriety Program

13 Statements of Acceptance

1. I have a life-threatening problem that once had me.

I now take charge of my life. I accept the responsibility.

2. Negative thoughts destroy only myself.

My first conscious act must be to remove negativity from my life.

3. Happiness is a habit I will develop.

Happiness is created, not waited for.

4. Problems bother me only to the degree I permit them to.

I now better understand my problems and do not permit problems to overwhelm me.

5. I am what I think.

I am a capable, competent, caring, compassionate woman.

6. Life can be ordinary or it can be great.

Greatness is mine by a conscious effort.

7. Love can change the course of my world.

Caring becomes all important.

8. The fundamental object of life is emotional and spiritual growth.

Daily I put my life into a proper order, knowing which are the priorities.

9. The past is gone forever.

No longer will I be victimized by the past, I am a new person.

10. All love given returns.

I will learn to know that others love me.

11. Enthusiasm is my daily exercise.

I treasure all moments of my new life.

12. I am a competent woman and have much to give life.

This is what I am and I shall know it always.

13. I am responsible for myself and for my actions.

I am in charge of my mind, my thoughts, and my life.

(c) 1976, 1987, 1993
Women for Sobriety, Inc.

shockozulu 05-04-2009 08:28 PM

One of the reasons I chose a Secular Recovery was the ability to deal with the "elephant in the room" while learning techniques that helped me in other parts of my life. I found that talking about ways to avoid the use and abuse of my pills was VERY important, especially in my early recovery. It also helped me live a life that was not surrounded around using/abusing.

To use one of the examples from the WFS statements:

3. Happiness is a habit I will develop.

Happiness is created, not waited for.
Until I learned what happiness is, and that to achieve it I don't have to turn to a pill bottle, I was as far from recovery as one can get. Until I learned how to substitute behaviors that lead to abusing, my life was focused on using, wanting to use or simply feeling stagnant when I had cravings.

Let me give an example. I used to be in fear to turn on my MP3 player. If my mind wandered, it would wander to drug abuse. It wasn't until I learned to deal with this fact of my addiction that I was able to get these feelings under control. Now I have a brand new CD on my player and I can listen without fear. The music brings me pure happiness and enjoyment.

doorknob 05-04-2009 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Katie09 (Post 2217638)
WFS is women for sobriety. I can just see it now...the best in medicine - addiction medicine - joining forces with WFS, SMART, LifeRing and maybe even AA, provided it stays in check, all to come together to help people.

LMAO, you had to throw that in.. stay in check, omdk, you just can't help it... :lmao

Great idea... but LifeRing can't even get along with SOS, who considers them to be their hostile splinter organization.

I propose a generic recovery support organization for all substance abuse issues. Signs would be yellow with black lettering. :D

Bamboozle 05-05-2009 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by doorknob (Post 2217801)
I propose a generic recovery support organization for all substance abuse issues. Signs would be yellow with black lettering. :D

Would it be called Generic Recovery Support Organization?

evmdimples 05-05-2009 05:51 AM

Katie09 wrote: "It's my belief it would be far better to come up with a blueprint for living, than a way to avoid something."

Hmm, it's interesting you feel that 12-steps does not offer you that. I find that the 12 steps are a blueprint for living a healthier life. I've never felt that the program tells me what not to do/avoid, but rather gives me some guidelines and suggestions about what to do, to take care of all aspects of me in a healthy way: emotional, intellectual, physical, (spiritual). Meanwhile, I can't ignore what the ultimate goal for doing recovery work is: to abstain from certain behaviors that are detrimental to me living a healthy life. I guess it's all about what speaks to each person.

Interesting project nevertheless, and I'd like to see what you guys come up with! Who knows, I may like it better than 12 steps, lol! I'm always open to new things to make improvements in my life! I tend to tweak things to suit my needs better and I do this all the time with 12-steps (I take what I need and leave the rest.)

Ananda 05-05-2009 06:25 AM

I honestly think all the recovery programs are based on how to build a healthy life...or at least at their core they are.

I always like zencats approach of building a program that works for you as an individual.

windysan 05-05-2009 06:28 AM

boiled crawfish is important to any recovery plan

and evil rock n roll

and Slayer

oh, I already said evil rock n roll

Slayer rules

suki44883 05-05-2009 06:47 AM

Windy's plan is the best. Can't beat that one with a stick.

gneiss 05-05-2009 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Katie09 (Post 2217670)
gneiss, just for you....:)

9. The past is gone forever.

No longer will I be victimized by the past, I am a new person.

Of all the things on that list, I think this is the one I have the most trouble with. I have trouble letting go sometimes.