SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Secular Friends and Family group? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/175694-secular-friends-family-group.html)

Daisy09 05-04-2009 10:55 AM

Secular Friends and Family group?

I guess this is a message to the moderators, and if I'm not following apprpriate ettiquette I sincerely apologize - I had never used a message forum prior to finding out about my husband's addiction last week :0

Is there any sort of secular/non-12 step friends and family group on this site? I haven't found it, but I thought maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place. Thanks for any info you can give.

allport 05-04-2009 11:00 AM

Im not sure if there is one Daisy but if there isn't I can't see any reason why we shouldn't have one on here.

Its pretty quiet at this time of day but I'm sure people will be interested.

Katie09 05-04-2009 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Daisy09 (Post 2217069)
I guess this is a message to the moderators, and if I'm not following apprpriate ettiquette I sincerely apologize - I had never used a message forum prior to finding out about my husband's addiction last week :0

Is there any sort of secular/non-12 step friends and family group on this site? I haven't found it, but I thought maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place. Thanks for any info you can give.

Excellent idea! There really should be one! In fact, I post on another forum - an atheist forum - and mentioned I am in treatment. As a result, I was able to direct a mom to a resource in her state to help that does NOT involve 12 steps. I do hope the powers that be here consider this :)

Bamboozle 05-04-2009 02:21 PM

This is a great idea. Hi, Daisy. :wavey:

shockozulu 05-04-2009 03:00 PM

Hi Daisy! I work SMART Recovery and have utilized the same tools in my recovery as I use in dealing with the daily issues of having a family member who uses drugs.

Ananda 05-04-2009 03:02 PM

Many freinds and family are in recovery as well...

I think you should feel free to post here in the secular forums

Glad you found us.

Katie09 05-04-2009 03:51 PM

Ok, so what I am thinking is might it not be useful to have a secular friends and family? Or is the friends and family already of no persuasion and I'm just spacing it? It IS possible. :)

Morning Glory 05-04-2009 05:56 PM

This forum is open to all secular members. We open new forums when the need is great enough. We don't have enough secular friends and family members yet to open a new forum.

Please feel free to post here for now Daisy.

Daisy09 05-05-2009 05:10 AM

Thanks for making me feel so welcome :) I was afraid that maybe people who were struggling with recovery themselves had enough on their plates without having to listen to other peoples family members trouble too, but I have been made to feel very warmly welcomed here. Thanks again!