SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Cleaning House....literally (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/175621-cleaning-house-literally.html)

Ananda 05-03-2009 06:55 AM

Cleaning House....literally

OK...so i have really let things slide because well...lots of excuses

anyhow...what does this have to do with sobriety? Well.....something htat helps me to stay sober is to continue to do my daily things even when i feel like my mind is in chaos...like see....if i am depressed and don't do anything i should...the mess is sooooo bad when i come out of it...but if I do what needs to be done as much as i can...then there is less of a mess to deal with when i come out of the funk....

I'm more likely to stay sober if i am not in constant chaos.

So...I've let things slide and i will be checking in periodically today about what i am doing...its something that has worked for me in the past...it doesn't make me wonder woman and it doesn't even make me get alot done...but it generally means i'll get SOME done and mostly i won't get too totally down about it....humor welcom :)

Ananda 05-03-2009 06:57 AM

soak dishes and pick up trash

OK....did you know that the dead food on the dishes doesn't smell bad at all....till you start cleaning them....Phew

all of them will have to be soaked as they have 2 week old food bits on them :(

every time i leave a room I will pick something up...

And she is off to the races!:herewego

Bamboozle 05-03-2009 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by ananda (Post 2215670)
....if i am depressed and don't do anything i should...the mess is sooooo bad when i come out of it...

*Bam raises hand in the air*

That's me. I need to clean my room. It looks like it exploded.

Amazing how the stuff just piles and piles.

Ananda 05-03-2009 07:11 AM

OK.....first set of plates in....soaking glasses cause no more room for plates :)

I've started trash bags...one started for what i call "dead stuff"...it stinks and has to go in the actuall trash container to go out...then regular trash...it can be set on the side as the bin won't hold the amount i have...dogs and stuff will probabl leave it alone...and 2 yeas 2!!! 13 gallon bags full of pizza containers...jeeez i am pittiful!!!!!!

come on bam...you got anything started yet (grin).....

Lenina 05-03-2009 07:24 AM

ananda,

Sometimes I take a trash bag and just run through a room and pick up everything that needs tossing and into the bag it goes!

I totally understand about the chaos. I've been painting and cleaning so the whole house is a mess. Today I feel so overwhelmed I don't even know where to begin. The kitchen and bathroom are clean and tidy but that's about it.

I can't even bear to think about getting into the closets. I have some boxes marked "Save" "Donate" and "trash" and that's about it!

I'm a bit moody today and may need a good cry later.

Hang in there, girl.

Love,

Lenina

Bamboozle 05-03-2009 07:25 AM

Yeah, I'm doing some laundry. Once I get everything washed, it will be easier to see the floor and then I can pick up papers and vacuum.

allport 05-03-2009 07:30 AM

I am having a cleaning day today as well, great minds think alike!

Well i say day I have done half an hours work and I am now having a rest.

Ananda 05-03-2009 07:33 AM

yep...quick break....

bam...you got a good plan going

alley....slow but steady wins the race

ok...quick chat and i'm off to pick up some more in the kitchen

Bamboozle 05-03-2009 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by allport (Post 2215726)
Well i say day I have done half an hours work and I am now having a rest.

It will take me all day to do one hour's worth of work.

Ananda 05-03-2009 07:35 AM

true..i'm the same way bam...but you know it's an hours worth i wouldn't have done if i didn't come here and talk about it...

ok thats sick .... but its the truth...

Rowan 05-03-2009 07:38 AM

Okay Nands you have motivated me to do the same - I go through the same process in that when depressed I don't do anything and when I start to surface there is so much to do it's just overwhelming. I have to go out in a couple of hours so I will make sure I accomplish bits and pieces here and there. Thanks for posting this, it helped me. :hug:

Live 05-03-2009 07:41 AM

there is an amazing site flylady that sets you up to keep the house up that I think is pretty cool!
I took the trash out right away and wanted to do dishes but my roomie is sleeping in the LR.
I have twice asked her to go to her room ....so I don't have to be quiet but...zzzzzzzzzzz.

I wish I had a washer and dryer!

I dunno....her movie kept wåking me up last night. Think I ought to start rattling dishes?

Ananda 05-03-2009 07:52 AM

rattle away livewire! Part of living with an active alchoholic son for me has been not letting his choices dictate my day....he was drunk this morning and is currenlty trying to sleep it off...but i will shake rattle and roll my way through the day ... not my problem :)

OK....first load of dishes running....it's making an odd clanking noise...i've never had a dishwasher before so i probably packed somehting in too loose or something. Also, i always run it on the pots and pans setting..figure the cleaner the better....dishwashers are strange but i sorta like it :)

Ok..so does anyone else do this? I get out a clean coffee cup and i use it for a month without ever washing it...i mean i'm the only one drinking out of it and i drink out of it every waking momnet...soo...no biggy....BUT..jeeez it took forever to wipe all that black sht out of it today....might change my habits there...i know my friends are sometimes grossed out by the filth of it.

Maybe if my cup were cleaner i'd get more dates?????? what cha think???

californiapoppy 05-03-2009 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by ananda (Post 2215752)
Ok..so does anyone else do this? I get out a clean coffee cup and i use it for a month without ever washing it...i mean i'm the only one drinking out of it and i drink out of it every waking momnet...soo...no biggy....BUT..jeeez it took forever to wipe all that black sht out of it today....might change my habits there...i know my friends are sometimes grossed out by the filth of it.

Maybe if my cup were cleaner i'd get more dates?????? what cha think???

Yeah that sounds like me, my cup gets washed twice a year whether it needs it or not. I'm not worried about dates, but I doubt if a cup would chase them away, but it's not all that hard to rinse it everyday either. Mine stays upstairs next to my bed and I bring the thermos up to it every morning, so...

I'm beginning to feel guilty about my dirty house, I've been out having fun for the past week, even when I'm not around the house gets dirty, probably because I'm around enough to dirty it and not enough to clean it. Tomorrow.

doorknob 05-03-2009 08:14 AM

Since I'm not working and my gf is covering the rent, I am pretty much responsible for all the housework. But honestly, it wasn't much different when I was working. It wouldn't be so bad, but she makes no effort whatsoever to be neat. Her car looks like she's living out of it and our sides of the room are like night and day. And it seems like as soon as something gets cleaned up, it's messy again.

What I do:

Dishes
Take out garbage
Clean up dog poop
Clean cat box
Feed the animals
Vacuum
Try to keep the kitchen and bathroom clean
Try to keep up with laundry
Mow lawn/shovel snow
Most of the cooking (which is never good enough)
Get b!tched at constantly...

californiapoppy 05-03-2009 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by doorknob (Post 2215773)
Since I'm not working and my gf is covering the rent, I am pretty much responsible for all the housework. But honestly, it wasn't much different when I was working. It wouldn't be so bad, but she makes no effort whatsoever to be neat. Her car looks like she's living out of it and our sides of the room are like night and day. And it seems like as soon as something gets cleaned up, it's messy again.

What I do:

Dishes
Take out garbage
Clean up dog poop
Clean cat box
Feed the animals
Vacuum
Try to keep the kitchen and bathroom clean
Try to keep up with laundry
Mow lawn/shovel snow
Most of the cooking (which is never good enough)
Get b!tched at constantly...

Would you give lessons to my husband?

doorknob 05-03-2009 08:25 AM

She's even managed to turn sex into a chore. And if you ask her, she'll tell you that all I do is play on the computer all day... :lmao

Ananda 05-03-2009 08:27 AM

OK...DK... a bit of alanon advise....

My son doesn't do anything much to do anything and he has no job...

Now...actually to try and teach him differently would probably be best for him...be the right mom thing to do....

but i can't live that way..drives me bonkers and just about ruined our relationship.

He doesn't help me do housework...I can't change him...it's his problem if he is 50 with no job, no skills, and no mom to live with (when i die is what i mean). None of this has anything to do with my life.

So...i do what i need to do for me to be happy..do the dishes, clean...insist on being able to use my basement...i pay the bills afterall...last night i was running late..totally because i was busy playing with my friends...he was hungry and there wasn't any food....really not my problem...i droped a 20 on the counter as i ran out to play with friends some more...up to him to sort it out...

We live quite well this way...not painful most of the time....

ok..i've got the silver ware soaking, i'm gonna pick up some more trash and maybe even get the vacume out :scoregood

Live 05-03-2009 08:29 AM

similar to knob.....I am rooming with a friend at her house since my divorce and I get on my feet......so, housekeeping is not her strong point. Not my favorite thing either...but past a point I can't stand it!
Last week she started clearing out a room full of junk and piled the sink up with dirty dishes she found...some are closed topped coffee mugs that must have had creamy coffee drinks in them 2 years ago!
The deal is...i wash dishes, she puts them away.

So, anyway...I am taking the advice here and have washed two sinkfuls.
And it hasn't seemed to bother her slumber at all.

I am a morning person and she is a night person.

But I have been getting in a tizz about the house...so thanks for this thread!

Ananda 05-03-2009 08:46 AM

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/e...7/S7300186.jpg

who said cleaning can't be fun...... snirkle