Leaving SR and done with treatment

Old 05-02-2009, 06:46 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Never settle.

*Throat clearing*

Hi Katie, glad you're back.

I only smoked a puff or two at a time when I was drinking, never really wanted it otherwise. BF would tell me it was sexy... and then in the same breath tell me I shouldn't take even a puff like that because that's how he started smoking and I sure didn't want to be addicted... and then of course we'd head inside to light up the meth pipe...the irony hurts! LOL. I dunno, I always thought it looked unsexy. And it's sure not much fun to kiss a smoker.

I used to be really anti-smoking but after dumping all the other chemicals I could find into my body a little nicotine once in a while didn't seem like it was so terrible.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Glad to see you back Katie
Old 05-03-2009, 07:21 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keithj View Post
I was kind of wondering about this. It's not a reason to judge harshly, condemn, or turn away. It's just part of the sickness. All the more reason to show kindness. And many here have done so.

But how and what kind of kindness? Is it true kindness to foster the attention seeking and self pity? I know it's more comfortable and it feels good. But is it really kindness?

There is a big focus in my recovery on getting away from selfishness and self-seeking, on getting out of the me first, I'm so important mindset. The people I surround myself with today are people that love me enough to tell me the truth, even when it isn't comfortable. Katie is sick, just like me, and I don't begin to get better if I live in delusion, manipulate, and run away when I don't get my way.

Hmmm. Something to think about.
I need to address this, now that I have the energy. Katie has been sick with bronchitis for DAYS, not grandiosity, not self pity - NO, a bacterial infection which makes anyone feel like crap. People, please do not jump to pablum conclusions. There are physical illnesses which really DO affect the psyche. I've held off this long, as I didn't have the energy to address these comments, but now I do.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:10 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TTOSBT View Post
You don't see this as her being grandiose or her saying she was giving up on treatment, even if just for the night?
I find that interesting.

I think Katie was sick and you think too highly of your predictive abilities. Stick to the place where you are less likely to offend people - like me - for the sake of my sobriety. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2009, 09:41 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
I'm just a girl

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
I think Katie was sick and you think too highly of your predictive abilities. Stick to the place where you are less likely to offend people - like me - for the sake of my sobriety. Thanks!
why is Katie talking in third person?
Old 05-03-2009, 10:21 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by seemethrough View Post
Doorknob has no idea...
Old 05-04-2009, 01:25 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
mergirl

hmmm, the "thank" button and the "quote" button are not the same thing!

I have watched the debate on these forums of the virtue of "coddling" vs the virtue of "tough love", I find it interesting. If it makes you feel any better, Lisa did not post here until now for a few reasons, to avoid offending or upsetting what sobriety you have found among them.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

TTOSBT had a good chuckle this morning and now will take her "predictive" abilities and go post where she can be of most service to folks that are honest, open minded and willing.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:12 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I need to address this, now that I have the energy.
I have no desire to argue or engage with you on this Katie. If you look at your original post, seems like there was some drama. Honesty is sometimes required to see these things. Glad you are feeling better.

Katie wrote:
"I think Katie was sick and you think too highly of your predictive abilities. Stick to the place where you are less likely to offend people - like me - for the sake of my sobriety."

Hmmm. Good luck to you. I mean that.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:24 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
friend of bill w.

seahorse will practice 'restraint of pen and tongue' as it advises to do in 'that book'.concerning the tenth st*p. or maybe it should be 'pen, tongue, and fingers'...lol. like in typing..that didn't sound right..haha!
Old 05-04-2009, 12:35 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

What a facetious lot ! The third person is so much fun, you'll all feel like kings and queens, or did they use the first person plural? As usual CRS hits again.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by TTOSBT View Post
TTOSBT had a good chuckle this morning and now will take her "predictive" abilities and go post where she can be of most service to folks that are honest, open minded and willing.
Yeah.. why would you want to hang out with a bunch of stubborn, close minded liars...

Old 05-04-2009, 12:50 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
Yeah.. why would you want to hang out with a bunch of stubborn, close minded liars...

TTOSBT thinks doorknob is da bomb!
Phal, that was FUNNY! It gets even more confusing knowing I have another name!
Happy Monday to you all!
Old 05-04-2009, 01:03 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seemethrough View Post
Because Katie has a literary flair? I did get an "A" in creative writing In fact, and just to share, I'd been six months sober at the time. The professor asked me to read what I'd written. Immediately - panic attack. Left the room for a drink of water. Refused to read what I'd written. When I look back on that time, I think it was great to not drink. I also think that many people with alcohol problems have psychiatric problems as well.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:12 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

jamdls is happy to see that Katie is back! I'm fairly new here but I've gotten a lot out of reading Katie's posts and did worry about her. Judy's daughter often gets bronchitis and knows how it can make her absolutely perfect child (she's 28) a real be-otch.
Judy is going to sit back and keep reading

Hope you feel better Katie.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
jamdls is happy to see that Katie is back! I'm fairly new here but I've gotten a lot out of reading Katie's posts and did worry about her. Judy's daughter often gets bronchitis and knows how it can make her absolutely perfect child (she's 28) a real be-otch.
Judy is going to sit back and keep reading

Hope you feel better Katie.
Thanks so much! Yeah, so you do understand how it can turn a human into a lunatic? I do have asthma, as well.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:05 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

BTW, just going to throw this out to the universe, FWIW, in case anyone wanders along this way...the ONE thing -Katie NEVER needs is so-called "tough love." In fact, I think anyone of an adult age does not need that. I think ANOTHER recovery method that is not secular in nature DOES advocate this. But, there is a reason people like me/us spend time in a SECULAR forum. Hopefully, it is not to have folks come in and talk about tough love and the like. Thank you very much
Old 05-04-2009, 02:34 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Curious reaction, Katie. At the time of your post, there was no mention of illness. Your post did seem a bit grandiose. But then again, I think that goes a long with addiction. As far as tough love, you may not like it. None of us do. However, I seriously question whether or not you really are capable of knowing what is the best thing for you. At this point, I really don't think you do.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:40 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

FYI, tough love is not limited to non-secular programs. It can also be utilized by those who work secular programs. I was exposed to the concept in a fully secular way by a secular author and it nearly saved my life.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:01 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Alera View Post
FYI, tough love is not limited to non-secular programs. It can also be utilized by those who work secular programs. I was exposed to the concept in a fully secular way by a secular author and it nearly saved my life.
Sure, but I would think it would be of a somewhat different nature though, and not focus on things like character defects and symptoms of the "disease".