Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part V

Old 05-27-2009, 08:04 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

gneiss, you should post some of your pics more often...that is if you don't mind, of course. I like this stuff.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:21 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Thanks, Bam. I maintain all fossils are cool, whether found or purchased. I actually went out with the idea of finding those ammonioids and bringing one home as someone had told me they were there. But then I found them and realized I was not prepared to spend the next 8 to 10 hours chiseling one out of the rock then dragging it-- probably weighing 30 pounds-- over a mile back to my car. Plus, it was on Bureau of Land Management land, and it would be illegal to remove fossils from BLM land. I would never do such a thing (note sarcasm... I came home with about 200 pounds of rocks collected on BLM land). So I just took a picture instead.

And thanks, Bam, for the comments about my pics. Maybe I should put some over in the hobbies forum... but I kinda like it here. And I'm worried that posting evilution info outside of SC might cause a bit of a row.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:36 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Well, used to collect agates on country roads. I still remember that fondly. And then they could be tumbled and made all shiny, but I still think I liked their natural state the best All I know about agates is they are pretty. Ignorant about fossils.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:40 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Agates are pretty. When I was little I bought them all the time, in all those goofy little tourist shops. Tumbled and dyed rocks. I still don't mind them tumbled but I think the natural colors are much nicer.

Just for Bam, a couple more pics from my adventures last summer.

Ankylosaurus (or something like that) footprints:

This is actually the underside of the footprint. The dinos walked along here, and when this weathered out you see the bottom of the footprint underneath an overhang, sort of a negative cast of the footprint. Each footprint was around 8 inches wide.

And sauropod footprints (These were likely left by a smaller cousin of Brontosaurus):

I had to climb up this little hill and the easiest way to do it was step right in the dino footprints (those large-ish dents, two are obvious: one just left and below the center of the photo and one up and to the right of that). And it made me wonder how many people stepped in the dino footprints and never knew they'd been Walking with Dinosaurs.

Last edited by gneiss; 05-27-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:42 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gneiss View Post
Agates are pretty. When I was little I bought them all the time, in all those goofy little tourist shops. Tumbled and dyed rocks. I still don't mind them tumbled but I think the natural colors are much nicer.
Me too. I had an uncle who died of cirrhosis (at 72) and this was some 24 years ago. It was his farm road I used to walk on and find agates. Nice guy, but he died asking for a beer on his death bed, as a sidenote, not to be macabre but somehow fitting for this forum.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:28 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  
Never settle.

This is ridiculous. I know those Cali wildfires were bad, but this made me laugh.
Mildfires Amble Through California | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Feeling somewhat better lately. I planned my road trip-- at least to the normal extent of 'planning' for me. Which means I made an appointment for my car to get that funny sound in the left front wheel checked out before I leave, and I might even make it to the store to get a road atlas... perhaps I can do that while waiting on an oil change... or I could just wing it. And I even asked my boss if I could take the time off. That's really about all the planning I do.

Not sure how he got hold of my phone number but ex called me today. That was weird but it went fine, just a quick check-in to see how I was doing and say hi. I don't understand that dude. But, much as I hate to admit it, hearing from him still put me in a better mood. It's a sickness.

I had basically decided sis couldn't come on my road trip with me, but then I decided that wasn't cool if my friend wanted to see her. So I told him if he wanted her there I would ask, "even though there are other people I would prefer to spend 10 hours in a car with. Like Charles Manson." He told me he would prefer if she does not come with me.

Oh... and yours truly, the Speeding Queen, got a *warning* on Saturday night. I usually get tickets, that's the first time I've ever gotten just a warning. Yay for nice hwy patrol officers! Ten times better than townies any day of the week.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:44 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Originally Posted by zencat View Post
So for the rest of the day I had the sad's. Crying on the drop of a dime...and for what I have no clue! another WTF! moment. On one hand I feel nothing (well kinda mellow) and yet on the other hand I tear up and break down for no apparent reason...at least to me. And then its boing! I'm feeling okay again.
I just re-read and caught this. That describes me for about the last month. It's exhausting. Thanks, Zen.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:42 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

I swear I post things that just keep disappearing! I'm already terribly depressed and losing my mind and this isn't helping. I can't even imagine what I could have said that was 'against the rules'. I should just find some other form of entertainment. I'm just going to sit in the corner and cry
Old 05-28-2009, 01:57 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hello, jamdls. What's going on?
Old 05-28-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
Hello, jamdls. What's going on?
This is it, Bam, that point you were wondering about.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:06 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yo!
Old 05-28-2009, 02:21 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I was hoping jamdls would talk some more. That's my way of saying, "I'm listening".
Old 05-28-2009, 03:13 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  
Administrator

there's a lot of reasons things get taken down jamdls, and a lot of them have nothing to do with doing anything wrong

There's been a lot of database errors recently too (for me anyway) so maybe we're losing data - maybe it's not a deliberate thing at all?

If a mod deletes a post they should tell you - PM the relevant mod if you really want to know what the hell, or just leave it where it is and move on - roll with it...

D
Old 05-28-2009, 05:06 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

ok ... i'm checking in

i'm ok...but not alot to say at the moment..just wanted to say i'm still here
Old 05-28-2009, 10:37 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Never settle.

I have a fierce independent streak. Sometimes I hate it. I got tired of feeling all bunched up piggy-backing on my dad's cell phone family plan. He didn't mind. I got my own plan. Boom. Doubled my phone bill. But hey, it's MINE.

My car needs to go into the shop before I attempt driving it 600 miles away. These little issues and several others seemed to hang up on me today. I felt worn down by life, basically. I never used to feel this way. I'd get annoyed at things, but I didn't feel like a little tiny worm on a big hook all the time.

I've been singing this song all day. "F*** you and f*** Nashville, I'm leaving Tennessee." Somehow it made me feel better to belt it out.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:52 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  
Optimist

Very cool pictures, Gneiss
Old 05-29-2009, 07:58 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by gneiss View Post
This is ridiculous. I know those Cali wildfires were bad, but this made me laugh.
Mildfires Amble Through California | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
I got a good laugh at that link. Thanks for sharing it! Passing that one on for sure.

This morning my roommate made the best breakfast. She can't cook worth crap but one item she doesn't manage to burn is fried eggs. We both had great fried eggs after reading all night and are headed off to sleep.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:09 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Hi, if I could remember where I posted what I remember posting I would ask why it was deleted but I don't remember it what section it was.
Been a bad week feeling very alone, it appears my daughter wants nothing to do with me other than the obligatory birthdays and holidays and that's her choice but it hurts and I should understand heck I left home at 17 and left the state my parents were in and I went years w/o seeing them and when my mom died last year I hadn't seen any of my family in 10 years so I should understand but my daughter lives just 15 miles away and works within 5 miles of where I work but she has a very busy stressful job and she has a home/husband/kids/and her own life outside of work so there's no room for me there's no bad blood between us that I know of but when we do get together we talk very little but I always thought that's cause we are both quiet people. So I'm just feeling very alone and upset that people just don't get this whole sobriety thing they think it's easy and no big deal or they think ok you've proved you can go w/o now have a drink so I just spend all my time alone and I can't sleep at night because my body hurts too much and they can't figure out what's wrong with me they say it's possibly nerve damage from back surgery and/or a car accident I was in but there isn't any they can or will do about it, they'd give me pain medication but because of what I did to my liver I can't take the pain med so I sit around wondering what the heck am i living for I'm not suicidal - tried that and failed-but what the heck is my purpose in this world I don't feel like I have one I have no friends daughter doesn't need me I just go to work-go home-and nothing- and I can't do much of anything else because I can't stand or walk for more than 30 minutes in a day w/o being in extreme pain and being around people wears me out/stresses me out and I start having anxiety attacks. Other than that life is just flippin wonderful.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:19 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

jamdls, I am a chronic pain sufferer as well as a mod at SR's Recovery and Pain Management forum. We can always use more folks visiting there.

I know how pain can effect your mood all too well. Hope you feel better later today.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:31 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Thanks Alera, I didn't know there was a pain and recovery forum