Blogs

Notices

Studying my DOC

Old 04-28-2009, 02:23 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Sorry about that Katie, but you know what I am saying.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:34 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
mergirl

Originally Posted by jimhere View Post
1."Or, let's assume that I can control the fact that I will not drink more than a specified amount, let's say twelve beers or three bottles of wine? Will that not also put me in the grave in short order?"

Yes it will, but it's not alcoholism. It's called drinking too much or hard drinking. There are people that can drink tremendous amounts of alcohol, get in trouble, get DUI's, end up in treatment centers, and may even need medical detoxification, but give them a good reason and they will stop or moderate.

Jim
woohooo, according to this I am NOT an alcoholic, because something cruddy happened and I just quit, same way I quit meth and cigs, cold turkey and for good (I hope:P)

When it comes to working with alcoholics, with a few rare exceptions, people's opinions and beliefs don't matter to me at all unless they are alcoholic. Like I said, you can read a book about being an astronaut, but it doesn't make you an astronaut. Someone recovering from meth or crack can't offer me any insight at all about what it's like to be an alcoholic. I'm not interested in someone's opinion of an experience they've never had.
Jim
I guess because we have determined I am not an alkie, this doesn't apply BUT, I drank every day for the last 28 years except for when I was preggers. I thought about quitting for at least ten years. I have learned SOOOO much from SOOO many people here on these forums about how to make my life more manageable and how to be more at peace with my self (among other things). Half of the time I don't even know if the person is an alkie, an addict, an AAer or not, but I feel really lucky to have found this site, with all its cool people and its wealth of information. And whether or not I am or was an alcoholic, I believe my life is going to be better without relying on and being dependent on booze.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:04 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Katie, is the SOMA you mentioned the muscle relaxor? Because I take a muscle relaxor called SOMA and have for many years but I'm not addicted to it I just take 1 before sleeping.

I think I must be a blueberry too because I was definetly a blackout drunk (I don't remember much of anything during 2 decades of my life) but when I nearly died 2 yrs ago I accepted on my own that I couldn't handle drinking and haven't since but I didn't have any kind of treatment and only went to about a dozen AA meetings; I've just done the work on my own. So I guess I don't belong here?

Judy
Old 04-28-2009, 03:08 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Never settle.

When I call myself an alcoholic/meth addict--

-Things I do to stay off alcohol: exercise, eat right, don't drink, avoid people who drink, learn to cope with things that stress me out.

-Things I do to stay off meth: exercise, eat right, don't use, avoid people who use, learn to cope with things that stress me out.

When I call myself an alkie/methie--

-Things I do to stay off alcohol: exercise, eat right, don't drink, avoid people who drink, learn to cope with things that stress me out.

-Things I do to stay off meth: exercise, eat right, don't use, avoid people who use, learn to cope with things that stress me out.

When I call myself a problem drinker/partier--

Now, how much does the label matter? And how much does it matter which addiction I'm talking about?

Maybe I'm not an alcoholic, cuz they go to meetings. I must just be a drunk.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:20 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Labels aren't important Gneiss, I agree. Other peoples opinions aren't very important either.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:32 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I enjoy learning about how the brain is altered by drugs like meth, alcohol and opiods/opiates. I find it interesting and when I hear the description of the "high" of heroin etc. I no longer obsess over it, mostly it makes me a little sad. My brain has slowly repaired itself from my abuse of opiods and it gets better every day. I don't want to go back to the beginning.

The more I know, the better I am.

I remember myself as a teen, I didn't listen to anyone. It wouldn't have mattered if it was a police officer or an active/recovering addict. What kept me pretty straight during my teen years was the fear of jail. Funny thing is, that was my bottom...being faced with jail.

Interesting topic.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:48 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
If alcohol addiction is that much different than addiction to OTHER drugs, then by that logic, there should be a different group/program for every individual substance.
Paul,
There are different groups for different problems. Since this is a secular forum, I will respect that and not go into the fact that there is one program that will work for any problem, provided it is grounded in truth.
Jim
Old 04-28-2009, 06:51 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by uglyeyes View Post
woohooo, according to this I am NOT an alcoholic, because something cruddy happened and I just quit, same way I quit meth and cigs, cold turkey and for good (I hope:P)

I guess because we have determined I am not an alkie, this doesn't apply BUT, I drank every day for the last 28 years except for when I was preggers. I thought about quitting for at least ten years. I have learned SOOOO much from SOOO many people here on these forums about how to make my life more manageable and how to be more at peace with my self (among other things). Half of the time I don't even know if the person is an alkie, an addict, an AAer or not, but I feel really lucky to have found this site, with all its cool people and its wealth of information. And whether or not I am or was an alcoholic, I believe my life is going to be better without relying on and being dependent on booze.
We didn't just determine that you are not alcoholic. You did. Congratulations on realizing your truth.

You do realize that you are the only one that can determine if you are alcoholic don't you?
Old 04-28-2009, 06:54 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eroica View Post
You can say I'm in denial all you want.. but if the alcoholism label was helpful then the AA treatment model would be more successful. The 12 step movement popularlized it, not science. I'm honestly happy the label has served all the AAers. And of course it would, its a de facto Step 1. If you don't believe that people become powerless over things (loss of control), then you naturally wouldnt believe that you became powerless over drugs.

Now addiction is real. But do all addicts lose control every time they use? Of course not. Even the hardest drinker could stop after drink number 1 if a gun was held to his head. There's no evidence to support the magical out of control theory.
Why do you insist on bringing AA into this? It seems that the only reason you post is to start a debate on the merits, or lack of, of AA.

Although I'm an AA'er, I realize that this is a secular forum and respect that. I'm not here to debate about AA. We are discussing alcoholism. On this forum it doesn't matter to me what approach you take to recover. Oh by the way, I'm not powerless over drugs, just booze. As far as evidence to support what you call a theory, go ask my uncle who tried every known means including going to AA meetings, for thirty years to not drink. One morning he realized it wasn't go to be any different than the previous morning and couldn't stand the thought of going on one more minute the way he was and went out in the back yard and blew his brains out. Or ask the ones who show up in the de-tox where I work time after time. You think they want to do that?
Jim

Last edited by jimhere; 04-28-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:05 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stone View Post
Sorry about that Katie, but you know what I am saying.
No worries, Stone. I think I know what you are saying.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:10 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
Katie, is the SOMA you mentioned the muscle relaxor? Because I take a muscle relaxor called SOMA and have for many years but I'm not addicted to it I just take 1 before sleeping.

I think I must be a blueberry too because I was definetly a blackout drunk (I don't remember much of anything during 2 decades of my life) but when I nearly died 2 yrs ago I accepted on my own that I couldn't handle drinking and haven't since but I didn't have any kind of treatment and only went to about a dozen AA meetings; I've just done the work on my own. So I guess I don't belong here?

Judy
Yes, that is it. I know what you mean about taking it for sleeping purposes. I have a friend who gets high off of it. I just tend to get relaxed and sleepy. I think the point is that all of these drugs affect us differently, due to our unique chemistries. For example, I cannot tolerate pot due to paranoia, so that could never be my thing. Guess I am lucky in that regard. But I can tolerate prescription drugs as I know what they will do and they are predictable - to me at least - hence my preference for them over alcohol. But - I am not about to break the law for them lest I get thrown in the slammer.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:13 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hi Katie,
How are you today?
Old 04-28-2009, 07:18 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hi Katie,
How are you today?
Thanks for asking, Jim. I am doing ok. Went to my therapist, we had a good session. In spite of my bumpy road, she sees growth. Not everything is as it appears to be, I am discovering. That is ok with me. Like they say in my treatment place, "suspend judgment." That is what I am trying to do and to not take things personally - as well.

How are you today?
Old 04-28-2009, 07:24 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Gneiss, I think your post makes alot of sense. I think it would be wonderful if they had a special mandatory class in every junior high and high school in America, and all over the world. Showing a picture of the meth addict before use, and the meth addict after, with no teeth, open sores, aged and ragged. The heroin user, before and after. It's just a thought, and it would be really good for the young people to see rehabs, institutions, car crashes, jails, hospitals, and all the other lovely places that addiction takes really good people to. It's just a thought. But hey, I think it would be very effective. Once addicted the addict doesn't care about the consequences. I am always amazed at that.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:27 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Angelic17 View Post
Gneiss, I think your post makes alot of sense. I think it would be wonderful if they had a special mandatory class in every junior high and high school in America, and all over the world. Showing a picture of the meth addict before use, and the meth addict after, with no teeth, open sores, aged and ragged. The heroin user, before and after. It's just a thought, and it would be really good for the young people to see rehabs, institutions, car crashes, jails, hospitals, and all the other lovely places that addiction takes really good people to. It's just a thought. But hey, I think it would be very effective. Once addicted the addict doesn't care about the consequences. I am always amazed at that.
Angelic17, I have seen some of those pics you describe. It IS amazing. From meth mouth to puffy and bloaty stuff due to alcohol - I had an uncle who asked for a beer with his abdomen all distended due to drinking. It really is something else.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:30 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
Thanks for asking, Jim. I am doing ok. Went to my therapist, we had a good session. In spite of my bumpy road, she sees growth. Not everything is as it appears to be, I am discovering. That is ok with me. Like they say in my treatment place, "suspend judgment." That is what I am trying to do and to not take things personally - as well.

How are you today?

Good deal. For what it's worth, I've seen a change over the last several days as well.

It was a great discovery for me when I realized that not everything is as it appears, and that I could change a crappy day into a good day with a simple change in the way I perceived the day's events and the people I encountered. Actually that is when I began to get over being so thin-skinned. I realized that most people don't think I'm that important. They don't get up in the morning and think "What can I do to **** Jim off?" They're too busy thinking about themselves to waste too much energy on me.

Suspending judgement is another good practice. Things are not good nor bad, they just are. I'm not saying that I practice that 100% every day, but when I can, the days go much smoother and I'm not exhausted at the end of the day.

Just got home from work, so I am a bit tired. Going to take it easy this evening.
Jim
Old 04-28-2009, 07:41 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Things are not good nor bad, they just are. I'm not saying that I practice that 100% every day, but when I can, the days go much smoother and I'm not exhausted at the end of the day.

Just got home from work, so I am a bit tired. Going to take it easy this evening.
Jim
Well, my therapist studied with a "guru," of sorts. I will write down his quote tomorrow night and share it with you, but it escapes me at the moment.

Get some rest

Katie
Old 04-28-2009, 07:56 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
Angelic17, I have seen some of those pics you describe. It IS amazing. From meth mouth to puffy and bloaty stuff due to alcohol - I had an uncle who asked for a beer with his abdomen all distended due to drinking. It really is something else.
I just thought that if the kids could see those pictures before they start using, that it would definitely make them want to do something other than get high on that poison. I believe that if they put that mandatory class in Junior high and high schools it would probably decrease the number in teen addiction. Let them see a young good looking kid, coming off of heroin, or oxys. Cold turkey. Let them see the meth and heroin addicts before and after.
I'm wondering why the government doesn't demand this mandatory class. With all the drugs all over the schools. All of the young people in rehab. It's sickening. I mean I can't be the only person who thought of this. :wtf2
Old 04-28-2009, 07:59 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

There are different groups for different problems. Since this is a secular forum, I will respect that and not go into the fact that there is one program that will work for any problem, provided it is grounded in truth.
Just for informational purposes, like NA, the secular groups/programs are inclusive of all substance dependencies.

Oh by the way, I'm not powerless over drugs, just booze.
You mean other drugs, lol...
Old 04-28-2009, 08:18 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Never settle.

I see what other people have mentioned. SC does kind of take everything anti-AA. I started this with comments about drug education and somehow we got into AA. Not trying to squash comments regarding AA, but I sure didn't expect that.