When reality just bites

Old 04-13-2009, 01:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When reality just bites

This is not one of those feel-good posts, but I would like to hear how you all handle bad days. I did my taxes this a.m (first time ever sober) and owe more than several thousands of dollars. I also need a job in this jobless economy and that fact does not escape me today. Then I have to deal with bills and received a collection letter that I sort of blew off. Then I feel like a tossed-aside worn out shoe in my personal life. I can't tell which is worse - the taxes I owe or feeling like a tossed-aside worn out shoe. Then I have to go to group tonight and share all this stuff with me and two men. Anyway, just having a bad day. Well, I think I'll call the IRS to see if I can make payments. And thanks for letting me share!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I handle bad days the same way I handle good days. I watch my favorite TV shows, listen to some uplifting music and keep myself busy.

By making these habits during my good days, it is a lot easier on bad days.

Sometimes I feel I am really struggling, on those days I call friends of mine and let them know I need support. In return, when they have days like this, they know I'm on the other end of the phone to offer the same to them.

Don't forget this is still just one 24 hour day. Tomorrow will start fresh.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Phaleron View Post
I just cut a check to the IRS too, Katie.

You're doing wonderfully considering the stress of dealing with taxes and unemployment in a depressed economy. :ghug
Sorry, Phal. I hope it wasn't TOO big of a check. I will stick mine in the mail tomorrow.

I think we're ALL doing wonderfully considering the stress and strain of daily life without alcohol.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alera View Post
I handle bad days the same way I handle good days. I watch my favorite TV shows, listen to some uplifting music and keep myself busy.

By making these habits during my good days, it is a lot easier on bad days.

Sometimes I feel I am really struggling, on those days I call friends of mine and let them know I need support. In return, when they have days like this, they know I'm on the other end of the phone to offer the same to them.

Don't forget this is still just one 24 hour day. Tomorrow will start fresh.
Yes and thanks Alera. It IS just one 24 hour day at a time. Tomorrow will be here when tomorrow gets here.

I went to group tonight and I sure do like that therapist. He is really a great guy and makes me think. He says we need to change the lens through which we view life, which is true but hard to do.

Well, my friend gave me this book called "Excuse me, your life is waiting." I guess it's based on the law of attraction so guess I'd better read it so I can attract better things.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Life happens around us whether we are sober or not.

I'm really grateful that I'm clean and sober and that my eyes are wide open to all of it.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

On bad days I go outside and go for a BRISK walk ,one half hour minimum, even if I have too many other things to do, even if it's raining. Somehow just being outside, maybe it's the oxygen, who knows, helps me get things into a better perspective. If I'm able to remember (and that's not usual) I also tell myself, that everytime I feel awful, that life is just too much, that I'm overwhelmed, I don't have enough money, I don't have a job, how am I going to manage?...usually the next day or the day after I end up wondering how I could have gotten myself into such a tizzy. Sometimes things just iron themselves out, sometimes they aren't as scarey the next day and sometimes I can just say "Big deal", or "so what". And now I can also tell myself that drinking only made me even more scared, I can say "big deal" so much easier now !
Old 04-14-2009, 04:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by californiapoppy View Post
On bad days I go outside and go for a BRISK walk ,one half hour minimum, even if I have too many other things to do, even if it's raining. Somehow just being outside, maybe it's the oxygen, who knows, helps me get things into a better perspective. If I'm able to remember (and that's not usual) I also tell myself, that everytime I feel awful, that life is just too much, that I'm overwhelmed, I don't have enough money, I don't have a job, how am I going to manage?...usually the next day or the day after I end up wondering how I could have gotten myself into such a tizzy. Sometimes things just iron themselves out, sometimes they aren't as scarey the next day and sometimes I can just say "Big deal", or "so what". And now I can also tell myself that drinking only made me even more scared, I can say "big deal" so much easier now !
Thanks, Californiapoppy. As a result of your post and Phal's, I will do five whopping minutes on my elliptical cross trainer today. Oh sure, it's nothing, but it is a baby step. I used to do 45, but I have to start somewhere. I always have said working out saves my butt, and I feel great afterwards, but I just have to get back into the routine. And I like your comment that sometimes things just iron themselves out.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sometime five whopping minutes turn to ten,once your going.... Hope it helps.