Blogs


Notices

A new approach: The Healing power of Mozart.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 11
A new approach: The Healing power of Mozart.

If this is not in the proper place, please help me get it there. Thank you.


Mozart's music, for me, is profound. He is arguably the greatest musical genius the world has ever seen. This is not stated for amusement. It's true. Mozart's music was for everybody back then and now. It is timeless in its mastery and boastful brilliance.

His music helps me when I'm down, doing good and in times of inner reflection. It has a powerful effect on me. In the pits of my problems I can listen to Mozart and find nothing but happiness while i listen. That significantly helps my mood, focus and in the long run, my recovery.

For me when i listen, my problems stop and the music takes over. Like nature is his music and I suggest him to others only because it might help some as it does me. And that is worth it alone.

YouTube - The Genius of Mozart (Part 1 of 18
this will peak your interest.

I recommend his Piano Concerto No. 20 in D minor. All 3 movements. You tube it.

thanks all.

:ghug2
samsung is offline  
Old 03-27-2009, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 4,150
Thanks for sharing.
This is probably a good place for this post.
Music of one's choosing is very helpful in recovery.
Fubarcdn is offline  
Old 03-27-2009, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,141
Originally Posted by samsung View Post
If this is not in the proper place, please help me get it there. Thank you.


Mozart's music, for me, is profound. He is arguably the greatest musical genius the world has ever seen. This is not stated for amusement. It's true. Mozart's music was for everybody back then and now. It is timeless in its mastery and boastful brilliance.

His music helps me when I'm down, doing good and in times of inner reflection. It has a powerful effect on me. In the pits of my problems I can listen to Mozart and find nothing but happiness while i listen. That significantly helps my mood, focus and in the long run, my recovery.

For me when i listen, my problems stop and the music takes over. Like nature is his music and I suggest him to others only because it might help some as it does me. And that is worth it alone.

YouTube - The Genius of Mozart (Part 1 of 18
this will peak your interest.

I recommend his Piano Concerto No. 20 in D minor. All 3 movements. You tube it.

thanks all.

:ghug2
Yes, you are right. I have a lot of classical music, to include Mozart, yet it's been a while since I've listened to it.

I think my favorite piece of music is Barber's adagio for strings. Although it is very sad, it is haunting in its beauty. Last summer when I put my baby boy (Teddy Bear) to sleep, each Monday night at 7 I'd light a candle (they have a worldwide candle light ceremony at that time) and just listen to his music. It did help me move through that painful time, to an extent.

Anyway, perhaps I'll put some on today. Thanks
Katie09 is offline  
Old 03-27-2009, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Never settle.
 
gneiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Under immense pressure
Posts: 1,505
Meh. Just kidding. **Deleted**
gneiss is offline  
Old 03-27-2009, 03:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Member
 
Eroica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Htown, baby!
Posts: 384
I'm an 18th-century music specialist. I play piano and teach music theory and music history.

Listening to Mozart does NOT help you relax more than listening to other music. There is no such thing as the Mozart effect. Its just another marketing scheme. People should just listen to what they enjoy. And there is probably no bigger Mozart fan than me.. lol
Eroica is offline  
Old 03-27-2009, 03:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith
 
shockozulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On a Sailboat
Posts: 3,871
Originally Posted by Eroica View Post
I'm an 18th-century music specialist. I play piano and teach music theory and music history.

Listening to Mozart does NOT help you relax more than listening to other music. There is no such thing as the Mozart effect. Its just another marketing scheme. People should just listen to what they enjoy. And there is probably no bigger Mozart fan than me.. lol
Agreed. We actually studied these false statistics and the studies behind them in my Research Methods courses.

As for classical music, I love to relax to Aaron Copeland and Ravel with either of the Johann Strausses in a distant third.
shockozulu is offline  
Old 03-27-2009, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Never settle.
 
gneiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Under immense pressure
Posts: 1,505
My first violin teacher in the 6th grade studied under Copeland. Somehow you would think we would have played something other than Hoedown (Otherwise known as the song from the Beef commercials), but no!

I love classical music (except Bach. Never cared for him). I have played piano since I was 6 and violin since I was 11, and though I haven't been playing much lately I still love it. Lately I've also started to love Red Dirt music. Cross Canadian Ragweed is probably the best known Red Dirt band, and it seems like outside of OK and TX it's called Southern Rock, but it really is a separate type of music. It's so relaxing and always makes me feel restored after listening to it, much the way Mozart does.
gneiss is offline  
Old 03-27-2009, 09:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by Eroica View Post
I'm an 18th-century music specialist. I play piano and teach music theory and music history.

Listening to Mozart does NOT help you relax more than listening to other music. There is no such thing as the Mozart effect. Its just another marketing scheme. People should just listen to what they enjoy. And there is probably no bigger Mozart fan than me.. lol
I absolutely agree with you. I'm no casual fan of Mozart and it's not pleasing to me that Mozart got tagged with it.

The researchers who did the study of how music can improve spacial recognition happened to use a piece by Mozart. In reality it could be any music that please one.

That wasn't the focus of my post. Sorry if you were misguided. Mozart is my musical hero biased on his ability as a composer. Not any market scheme.

:praying
samsung is offline  
Old 03-28-2009, 03:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,141
Hey guys (and gals )

I have this really cool book that was published in 1909 - 100 years ago. It is called Master Musicians. I bet it would fetch a price, but I cherish it. In it, I have pics (?) of all of the master musicians and their life stories. I found it in a used book store in San Diego. At any rate, I think I shall read it again. Thanks for this inspiring thread. It is one of my most cherished books. I have Schumann, Handel, Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Schumann, Mendelsohn, Chopin, Wagner, Listz, Verdi, and Grieg - all with their life stories.
Katie09 is offline  
Old 04-01-2009, 09:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Never settle.
 
gneiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Under immense pressure
Posts: 1,505
Originally Posted by Phaleron View Post
I grew up playing the saxaphone, so my first love is jazz, but I do dig Sibelius.
I don't know how I ended up on stringed instruments. Both grandmothers, grandpa, dad, uncles, sister, cousin, aunt.... everyone plays saxophone!! Except my cousin and I. We're exclusively string players. But... you can't grow up with that much saxophone and not like it.

Now... how my dad got started on the bagpipe is a bit of a mystery...
gneiss is offline  
Old 04-01-2009, 10:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Never settle.
 
gneiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Under immense pressure
Posts: 1,505
I was 'forced' to play the piano. Meh. I took up violin because I knew I wouldn't have time for two instruments, and I didn't want to play the same thing sis played. Or have to see her in band class every day.
gneiss is offline  
Old 04-01-2009, 10:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith
 
shockozulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On a Sailboat
Posts: 3,871
Originally Posted by Phaleron View Post
I grew up playing the saxaphone, so my first love is jazz, but I do dig Sibelius.


Please lend an ear
That ye all may hear
Some shimmering sharps and flats.
For those cozy virtuoso,
Known as 'hipsters' to the trade,
Wish to show you now
Precisely how
Jazz music is made.

Take some skins,
Jazz begins,
Take a bass
Steady pace,
Take a box,
One that rocks,
Take a blue horn New Orleans-born.
Take a stick
With a lick,
Take a bone,
Dixie-grown,
Take a spot,
Cool and hot,

Now you has jazz, jazz, jazz, jazz, jazz, jazz!
shockozulu is offline  
Old 04-01-2009, 10:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Never settle.
 
gneiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Under immense pressure
Posts: 1,505
Originally Posted by Phaleron View Post
haha! My brother played trombone because he didn't want to be in the same section as me.

Do you still play?
Occasionally. I'm pretty rusty now though, and it doesn't sound very good when I do play. But I still have my trusty old violin, and whenever my grandmother decides she's done with the viola, I'll inherit a viola as well. Guess I might have to start practicing again....

Of course we all know why a viola is better than a violin: it burns longer.
gneiss is offline  
Old 04-01-2009, 10:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith
 
shockozulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On a Sailboat
Posts: 3,871
Originally Posted by gneiss View Post
Occasionally. I'm pretty rusty now though, and it doesn't sound very good when I do play. But I still have my trusty old violin, and whenever my grandmother decides she's done with the viola, I'll inherit a viola as well. Guess I might have to start practicing again....

Of course we all know why a viola is better than a violin: it burns longer.
Never heard that one before
shockozulu is offline  
Old 04-01-2009, 10:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Member
 
joinedintime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Road to recovery
Posts: 866
I agree with "whatever music that pleases you can have a positive impact"

But since I happened to bump into Dr Drew getting interviewed by Dennis Miller last night thought I pass along that Dr D says classical music in general as well as cardio exercise are on a par with medication in regards to the treatment of depression.

I could see where that might be true.
joinedintime is offline  
Old 04-02-2009, 01:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith
 
shockozulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On a Sailboat
Posts: 3,871
Originally Posted by joinedintime View Post
I agree with "whatever music that pleases you can have a positive impact"

But since I happened to bump into Dr Drew getting interviewed by Dennis Miller last night thought I pass along that Dr D says classical music in general as well as cardio exercise are on a par with medication in regards to the treatment of depression.

I could see where that might be true.
/throws hands up in the air

So much for those of us (like me) that choose Musicals over the majority of Classical music.

Then again, it just might be the fact I have the soundtrack to High Society by Cole Porter in my head tonight.
shockozulu is offline  
Old 04-02-2009, 05:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child
 
windysan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: La
Posts: 5,664
I recommend Slayer. "South of Heaven" is a good one for relaxation.

windysan is offline  
Old 04-08-2009, 10:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Member
 
Eroica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Htown, baby!
Posts: 384
The Digital Mozart Project contains every score by Mozart, all free and available to print for private and educational use!

License
Eroica is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:09 AM.