Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Who would have thought my only legal issue would have to do with a 12 step rehab?

Who would have thought my only legal issue would have to do with a 12 step rehab?

Old 03-27-2009, 02:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SelfSeeking View Post
If you think you have a year to live, honestly, is this how you want to spend it? Tied up in the red tape of a lawsuit against the last of the many rehabs that "failed" to get you sober?

All I'm saying is... 1.check out the statute of limitations. 2.Get yourself sober. 3. Once sober, go after them with your faculties intact... bc they ain't right now.

Your credibility will be nil in court. The rehab knows this. There's no way in he11 they'd just give you your money back. They'll tie you up in red tape for as long as possible (which is reeeeeeally long) and meanwhile you're helping them out by upping the odds of the lawsuit outliving YOU.

Get sober. Just do it. Think of the resources you're marshalling to sue the rehab and refocus them on getting well.

Or don't. I am a nurse on a psych unit. I've seen the alternative... it's turning yellow and losing your mind and crapping your pants from the medication they give you for clearing the ammonia from your blood. It's dying in the ugliest ways imaginable. NOBODY thinks they will wind up like that, really, but.. they do.
Thank you, but I am very confused here. First, the rehab didn't "fail" to get me sober. They misrepresented the program to the extent I could not hang with it. That is on them - failure to be honest about things. I was very honest about things and I hate to have to keep repeating myself here.

Second, the year comment was based on the assumption I don't change what I am doing. That is only valid if I continue to drink (although something else could happen like a car accident, etc).

I feel like people (not all) are taking what I say and interpreting it incorrectly. Further, as I mentioned in the OP, this was/is a vent, a rant. If people don't want to read or respond to it, that is fine with me. Honest.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Firstly, congratulations Katie on remaining sober.

You seemed so excited last week when Sfgirl (sorry if I'm not acknowledging the right person) who offered the links to treatment and meetings. I know you have said that you have spoken to your therapist and you have gone to some non 12 step meetings and that is certainly a start in the right direction. But what I find unusual is that you never mention anything about this, or what you are struggling with so people on SR could help you with your recovery.

As a side note, I would agree with self seeking with respect to legal action against the treatment centre. Law suits can be time consuming, very expensive and emotionally and mentally draining. You might be throwing good money after bad.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Katie I meant to add, if you are remaining sober do you feel you need a treatment centre? I don't think you are going to find one that will satisfy your wish list and I am not meaning to be critical when I say that. Why not give that up and concentrate on f2f meetings, therapy and more interaction on SR to do with recovery. It's fine to rant once in awhile, but the benefit in support groups comes from discussing pertinent issues you are facing with alcohol.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Smile

Legal issues aside, I'm wondering how your doing with your mental side of the duel diagnosis. I'm not trying to be judgmental, but do you think there is some obsession going on. I mean are obsessive thought something you have to deal with? I'm just trying to be helpful. I know for myself that my mental illness gets in the way of my recovery sometimes. I have to remind myself to slow down and take it easy. Anywho I'm just checking in with you and would like to understand some of the symptoms you might have or have had in the past. As a duel-diagnosis addict myself I understand the unique problems people like myself face in recovery. Some day's people don't get where I'm coming from...why hell I have a hard understanding it myself now and then.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I remember that you agreed to 4 AA meetings a week and the therapist wanted you to go to 5. I don't really understand the big difference with this. One meeting a week is being dishonest, a misrepresentation and worth a law suit? I know, I wasn't there, but a lawsuit will be a real challenge. Are you sure you are really up to this?
Old 03-27-2009, 06:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LosingmyMisery View Post
I remember that you agreed to 4 AA meetings a week and the therapist wanted you to go to 5. I don't really understand the big difference with this. One meeting a week is being dishonest, a misrepresentation and worth a law suit? I know, I wasn't there, but a lawsuit will be a real challenge. Are you sure you are really up to this?
I agreed to no AA meetings a week. Zero, zip, nada. I was very clear and upfront before I went there - I wanted no part of anything 12 step. Big sigh. Just curious, but how long have you been going to AA?
Old 03-27-2009, 07:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I haven't been to an AA meeting in nearly 3 years. I got sober in AA, but left after 2 years. So 2 years sober in AA and 3 years sober without it. I am not an AA is the only way advocate, but it worked for me and it is all I know. I am a advocate for recovery because sobriety and recovery are to different things. I think working a program is a must, but I understand AA isn't for everyone.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LosingmyMisery View Post
I haven't been to an AA meeting in nearly 3 years. I got sober in AA, but left after 2 years. So 2 years sober in AA and 3 years sober without it. I am not an AA is the only way advocate, but it worked for me and it is all I know. I am a advocate for recovery because sobriety and recovery are to different things. I think working a program is a must, but I understand AA isn't for everyone.
Well, congrats to you on finding something that worked for you. I am glad you have continued to remain sober and that AA seems to have worked well for you!
Old 03-27-2009, 07:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Boy, i am GLAD I have a truly loving friend whom I can say whatever I am thinking or feeling to....face to face.
I have some mental dx, it sure does complicate all of life.
My friend knows when I am just throwing out an angry thought, expressing a feeling etc etc and doesn't magnify it. And if it is something that matters we can always talk about it calmly the next day....but she does not immediately discount what comes out of my mouth at the time. WOW, I have a GREAT friend!
Old 03-27-2009, 09:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
I'm just a girl

In a dual diagonsis is one of the issues usually addiction or can it be a combination of mental health issues?
Old 03-27-2009, 09:22 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seemethrough View Post
In a dual diagonsis is one of the issues usually addiction or can it be a combination of mental health issues?
Hmm, from my understanding dual diagnosis refers to both an addiction and one or more mental illnesses that they say arer co-occurring. Some will say comorbid, but these days they say co-occurring