Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

I will only post in the secular forum, I will only post in the secular forum, etc.

I will only post in the secular forum, I will only post in the secular forum, etc.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Katie, you need to quit saying my name in vain... and that's Doorknob *Almighty*!
Old 03-25-2009, 04:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
Katie, you need to quit saying my name in vain... and that's Doorknob *Almighty*!
LOL, um, sorry!!! I just think it's cute. If you'd prefer I reference something else, pls. let me know. I just remember in AA they said the "doorknob" could be your HP.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hmm...I think I should stick to the Secular forum for quite a while again. It's scary "out there".
Old 03-25-2009, 04:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
You're just terminally unique... get over yourself.

I get this, finally. I was wondering what you folks were talking about.

Can I now be considered an inspirational figure?
Old 03-25-2009, 05:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
I get this, finally. I was wondering what you folks were talking about.

Can I now be considered an inspirational figure?
Absolutely! You started that thread over in Newcomers as a new voice - based on your gut. That took a lot of courage. Yet you followed your instincts, which is great. I applaud you for that. However, you might find more comfort here as, personally, I didn't find those posts to be very affirming. JMHO.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I was trying to be slightly sarcastic. I need to work on that.

Thanks, Katie. I honestly do appreciate the support over the last couple of days that I've received from several people, whether in posts or PM's. I'd be completely lost without you folks.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
I was trying to be slightly sarcastic. I need to work on that.

Thanks, Katie. I honestly do appreciate the support over the last couple of days that I've received from several people, whether in posts or PM's. I'd be completely lost without you folks.
No worries, it IS hard to convey sarcasm over the Net. At any rate, thank you. I do appreciate your honesty and will ALWAYS support you. The only thing I cannot do, for my mental and physical health, is engage in this stuff in Newcomers. It's just too much for me. I figure I am MUCH safer in this fora, and I learned that today!
Old 03-25-2009, 05:22 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Phaleron View Post
This place feels much more like home than any of the other sub-forums.... I'm glad you're here Katie.
Aww, thank you so much Phal! I loved your puppy thread! Considering I have two of my own sweet and precious Shih Tzus, who are absolutely adorable. Yes, it does feel like home...
Old 03-25-2009, 05:30 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Hey Katie.

Keep coming back.

LOL
Old 03-25-2009, 07:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I need to keep out of those other forums too I'm feeling too vulnerable and isolated, I'm with you katie. I think elements of AA are so dangerous I've seen it at work, AA is so powerful its untouchable.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:08 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kurtrambis View Post
I need to keep out of those other forums too I'm feeling too vulnerable and isolated, I'm with you katie. I think elements of AA are so dangerous I've seen it at work, AA is so powerful its untouchable.
Well, I've been in this deal for too many years. To quote a phrase (sorry) keep coming back,(ok, therein lies the phrase) cause we will help ya! For real. We are just a bunch of people who have had our struggles. No labels. Just us!
Old 03-26-2009, 12:39 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

We need to be nice to the rice on this side, we work our own "unique" programs, and more power to us, we'll all have powerful programs that work. There is not a one size fits all "truth" out there. So lets pick and choose what we like and what works from everyone's experiences here and even "over there" if we dare venture....
Just so you know, I really like all you guys in secular.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:19 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

LOL! Having said I couldn't resist, I have gone and posted on the terminal uniqueness thread. Think I am just a masochist that's why I keep going on binges resulting in hell hole withdrawals! LOL!
Old 03-26-2009, 12:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

LOL! Having said I couldn't resist, I have gone and posted on the terminal uniqueness thread. Think I am just a masochist that's why I keep going on binges resulting in hell hole withdrawals! LOL!
Ah geez, you must be! I have pretty much decided I cannot go there for the sake of my mental health.

Disclaimer: To each his own and God bless 'em if it's working.

My only point of contention is it has NOT worked for me. And it's not because I was not "working it." I actually went to AA back in the late 70s and did have a couple of years of sobriety. But that was back in the old days when there were far fewer rules and one didn't need a sponsor (although I did get one and she was more like a friend) and I never worked any steps. The only thing I did was to go to one meeting a week and coffee afterwards. Actually, it was the meeting after the meeting that helped me more than anything. But that was a long time ago and it's never been the same since.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

With all due respect, I don't think SR is the place to debate whether AA works or not. It's distracting to what we are all here for. Recovery.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:49 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
With all due respect, I don't think SR is the place to debate whether AA works or not. It's distracting to what we are all here for. Recovery.
I wasn't debating. I think it's quite clear that AA works for a lot of people - just not me. I was sharing my experience and history. Thanks for your post.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:52 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
My only point of contention is it has NOT worked for me. And it's not because I was not "working it."
I never worked any steps.
These two statements seem contradictary to me.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:53 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justanothrdrunk View Post
These two statements seem contradictary to me.
AA has changed. Therefore, what used to work (for me) no longer works.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:14 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

AA has changed. Therefore, what used to work (for me) no longer works.

I do hope there is a solution for you, Katie, and that you find it. I look forward to you sharing it when you do. Otherwise, it's just more looking for instant answers and "better living through chemistry," instead of doing the inner work required by all of us in recovery.

Good luck.

Donna
Old 03-26-2009, 01:35 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

What's AA? Never heard of it...