Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

So now the therapist says I am to go to five AA meetings a week?

So now the therapist says I am to go to five AA meetings a week?

Old 03-18-2009, 03:02 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
Glad to hear you're okay, Katie.

I have a question... what are you hoping to get out of an inpatient treatment?
Hi doorknob At this point, really nothing. What I really need are some secular support groups to deal with this "condition" as I call it. I can't think of any other way to deal with this. Too, half of the deal has to do with mental health issues, and I have to get a handle on that as well. I don't know. My friend and his wife are being super supportive of me. In fact, I might just move to Ventura County to get out of here. It's an option. At any rate, cleaning crew comes on Saturday. Things have gotten out of control on my end, but it's great to have people like you to "talk" to. Hugs. Katie
Old 03-18-2009, 03:08 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  
sentient puddle

Glad you got it sorted and got (most of) your money back katie.

It was out of order for them to deceive you and imply there were non-AA options, only to try and force AA onto you.

AA is not the only way, and you shouldn't have to do something you don't want to do.

IMHO it's a religious program, and people who want to get sober without religion have the right and the option to do so.

Stay strong and i hope you're well today.

I'll sacrifice a goat for you!
Old 03-18-2009, 03:10 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Glad to hear you are doing well and that you are working on a plan.
This is certainly a nice time to move to So Cal.
So how is the sobriety going?
Is your friend respecting the boundaries you set?
Wishing you the best!
Old 03-18-2009, 03:24 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by spark42 View Post
I'll sacrifice a goat for you!
Yo Spark, can you hook me up with a chicken?

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2009, 03:29 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Is it Friday night already DK? hehe
Old 03-18-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

It's Wednesday afternoon.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:33 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  
sentient puddle

duplicate post (see below)
Old 03-18-2009, 03:34 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  
sentient puddle

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
Yo Spark, can you hook me up with a chicken?

Thanks!

first time anyone's asked me that one....
Old 03-18-2009, 08:45 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  
problem with authority

Wait, I thought this was Secular Forums...why is everyone talking about A.A.?

Originally Posted by daisydookie278 View Post
Katie,
I agree with you about AA. I've been to over 200 meetings in my life so I can have an opinion about it. The neurotic AAer's can't judge or tell me what to do. I would be really upset if I was tricked into the rehab. I went to a rehab this summer. It was 12step based but also strong emphasis on spirituality, yoga, hypnosis, mountain climbing, and art. We were required to go to the meetings daily. It wasn't all that bad. Luckily they taught us how to meditate, the meetings were the perfect time to practice! What I'm saying is, meditate or take the hour to really think about life,love, or God. Good luck!!!
Old 03-18-2009, 10:31 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  
trying to get it right

sounds wonderful katie!!!! pm me and i will get w/my sponsor ans see which day is best!!!

am am so glaad you are doing better, you sound good!!!
love and blessings in sobriety!
Old 03-18-2009, 11:31 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

pointless post of mine so i deleted
Old 03-19-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
I can't tell you how many AA meetings I've walked out of only to head for the wine aisle. Why is AA this sacred cow that no one is allowed to disagree with? I quit smoking yesterday and after being told I was expected to go to these meetings the first thing I wanted was a cigarette. In fact, I might just walk to the store and buy some now as I am so angry. I don't want AA shoved down my throat by anyone. I don't want it. I went to my first meeting 32 freaking years ago. It's not for me. I am tired of people in AA constantly coming back at me with stuff like, it doesn't work if you don't work it and the other gazillion cliches. And the fact I can't even post in the secular forum without AAers coming in and attacking me REALLY irks me! Not you...I don't mean you. On this note, I am going to find the nearest store and light up a smoke.

To me, as an AA member, it doesn't matter if you disagree with AA. That is not my business and it is not my business to persuade you to believe otherwise.

What I really see Katie is someone needing something or somebody to blame. Like I blamed my dad for my whole life. I blamed him for my drinking, my screwed-up attitude, you knew name it. It was "If my dad had been a better dad and stayed around, maybe I wouldn't have turned out the way I did." Anything to avoid taking responsibility for my own life, my own actions, my own recovery. I don't know much about methods other than the twelve-step approach, but I do know that any method, be it spiritual, secular, psychiatric, etc. requires that suffer take responsibility and participate in his/her own recovery.

Instead you come on here and complain like a spoiled kid that isn't getting her way. Some here will induldge you and some are getting tired of it. You inflict your f**k you attitude on us. "I'm going to go pout and break the rules. I'm gonna have a smoke. So there! I'll show you!"

Either drink or don't. But don't blame anyone else.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:36 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Wow what a helpful post Jim!

Glad you came all the way to Secular to have Katies attitude inflicted upon you!

There is a reason she stopped posting in Newcomers!
Old 03-19-2009, 08:03 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

No.

The reason she stopped posting on the other forums is because people started to see through the b.s. and stopped buying into it and co-signing it.

It isn't about secular, non-secular, whatever. Alcoholics die of alcoholism. She just came over here where you guys can love her to death.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Well it is the business of the people on this forum to choose their own reactions, following someone from forum to forum in order to have a go is really not on Jim, I'm sure if Katie needs advice from you she will contact you.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

True enough. You guys are free to love anyone to death that you want to.

I ain't following anyone. But I'll call ******** wherever I see it.

Have a nice, time for me to go to work.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:25 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by jimhere View Post
True enough. You guys are free to love anyone to death that you want to.

I ain't following anyone. But I'll call ******** wherever I see it.

Have a nice, time for me to go to work.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:30 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

I guess that how I try to respond to threads is based on my own expereince with my own alchoholism....what helped me and what didn't. Course i have a temper and it gets the upper hand on occations as i'm sure all have noticed

I can make recovery less accesable to someone or more accesable.

Katie's last post

Hi doorknob At this point, really nothing. What I really need are some secular support groups to deal with this "condition" as I call it. I can't think of any other way to deal with this. Too, half of the deal has to do with mental health issues, and I have to get a handle on that as well. I don't know. My friend and his wife are being super supportive of me. In fact, I might just move to Ventura County to get out of here. It's an option. At any rate, cleaning crew comes on Saturday. Things have gotten out of control on my end, but it's great to have people like you to "talk" to. Hugs. Katie
Katie....It sounds to me like you are looking at making some changes and are focusing on some tools. It is helpful sometimes to get away from the people who we used with or even who drag us away from our goal in other ways.

You seem to have identified some problems areas to work on...let us know how the things you try work or don't work. Also, have you a plan in place to deal with the "mental conditions" as well? I find if I don't work on all areas of my life, the area i neglect can drag me down again.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jimhere View Post
To me, as an AA member, it doesn't matter if you disagree with AA. That is not my business and it is not my business to persuade you to believe otherwise.

What I really see Katie is someone needing something or somebody to blame. Like I blamed my dad for my whole life. I blamed him for my drinking, my screwed-up attitude, you knew name it. It was "If my dad had been a better dad and stayed around, maybe I wouldn't have turned out the way I did." Anything to avoid taking responsibility for my own life, my own actions, my own recovery. I don't know much about methods other than the twelve-step approach, but I do know that any method, be it spiritual, secular, psychiatric, etc. requires that suffer take responsibility and participate in his/her own recovery.

Instead you come on here and complain like a spoiled kid that isn't getting her way. Some here will induldge you and some are getting tired of it. You inflict your f**k you attitude on us. "I'm going to go pout and break the rules. I'm gonna have a smoke. So there! I'll show you!"

Either drink or don't. But don't blame anyone else.

Sorry, but I am not blaming anyone here. You don't even know me. If you are "getting tired of me," simply don't read my threads or respond to them. Furthermore, I don't need AA members coming into a thread in the secular forum to bash me. That is the ONE thing that sends me running from AA - all of the self-righteous indignation. Major issue I have with it.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:45 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Katie...my 2 cents for what it is worth. I don't like much of what aa teaches, I find the program seriously flawed and the excuses made for the obvious flaws redundant. However I am sober...you my friend, have been abusing alcohol for 32 years from your account of the situation. 32 years is a long time to have not found a solution that resonates for you. Your focus needs to be on what works, not on what does not.
I don't drink Katie...that's what works for me and many sober SR members...it's a proven method and works 100% of the time.