Blogs

Notices

I think I'm becoming a hermit

Old 03-18-2009, 02:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Resident

Since I quit, with the exception of my wife and son, most of the human contact I have had is here at SR.
I have had coffee with an old drinking buddy who quit a couple of years ago and I ran into on the street but that is about it.
I have to find some other activities since my wife is busy with her work and well my son is 20 so you know how that is. Who wants to talk to their old man.
For now though being a hermit is OK with me.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spark42 View Post
I only do stuff that i really want to do
I think that is the key and what I found out is that I was actually doing a lot of things pre-sobriety that I actually didn't want to do. I almost especially mean that socially— I felt certain obligations and now I am like f*ck it.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sfgirl View Post
I felt certain obligations and now I am like f*ck it.
Lol, I can totally relate; though, I think part of the issue, for me at least, is finding friends who have similar interests outside of drinking. How's the weather in "The City"? I miss living in SF sometimes...not the weather though.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
sentient puddle

Originally Posted by sfgirl View Post
I think that is the key and what I found out is that I was actually doing a lot of things pre-sobriety that I actually didn't want to do. I almost especially mean that socially— I felt certain obligations and now I am like f*ck it.
yeah i like what you said before about contentment - for me it's like i'm working towards being content in how i am.

I was always feeling the need for approval from others, in relationships, or social groups, the need to be out doing loads of stuff in order to somehow validate myself.

For the first time in ages, possibly ever, i'm content and happy to be single, and content and happy with myself, or at least getting there!

I don't feel this need to be socially active in a huge way. If i feel like seeing people or doing something, then i will, and that's cool. But it's also cool if i don't feel like going out.

Whatever things are like, i'm kinda basically at peace with it.

That's just my experience of how things are for me at the moment...