Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part IV

Old 04-27-2009, 07:37 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  
mergirl

bugs don't scare me, rodents are fine, snakes are cool but every time I am out body boarding I am sure to get the theme of jaws going in my head, and then it takes everything in me not to full on panic and swim for shore!
yes I am afraid of RUBBER SHARKS!!
Old 04-27-2009, 09:01 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

You made me laugh out loud, thanks i needed that.

(Change your username I can't call you Ugly Eyes lol)
Old 04-27-2009, 09:24 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Originally Posted by Phaleron View Post
Out here we have an abundant population of diamondback rattlers. You're correct about the snakes not generally attacking unless they are provoked. The problem is when you're breaking trail in the tall sage you can't see very well and even with a walking stick it's easy to startle and provoke a rattlesnake. The freakiest aspect of these snakes is the sound!

Sounds like you had an adventure!

I love diamondback rattlers. Beautiful. I was walking through some scrubby brush in Arizona once and heard one rattle at me. Only slightly terrifying, right?

The copperhead sure thought he was being attacked yesterday, struck at me a couple times because I was moving the brush around to get a good picture of him. And he tried to mimic a rattler, actually. He wiggled his tail against the leaves on the ground so it kind of sounded like a rattlesnake. Nature's so cool.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:30 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Great pics Gneiss! Cute puppy! aweful looking tarantula! gave me the creepy crawly feeling

Judy
Old 04-27-2009, 10:53 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  
lunarlovelunar

WOW!

Ill pass on the snakes and the spiders and the thunderstorms! Nice pix though! lol
I know we have quite a bit of wildlife here...I just havent seen most of it. There are cougars and bobcats out here as well bears. I guess the neighbor guy caught a bear eating the fallen apples from his apple tree which is in his yard!

Things are ok this morning. Huzzy was high last night so we had a tiff. Made me feel YUCKY! Then I had a drinking dream last night. It seems I couldnt get to the store in time to buy more beer. Boy was I mad! So Im not feeling great.

Plan for today is to clean clean clean. Maybe do some pilates, maybe read some. Lack o motivation.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  
mergirl

I am considering the name change, but it's a pretty powerful reminder of why I came here.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Ah, Judy. The tarantula just sat there and ignored me while I took its picture. Most of the wildlife did, in fact. It's like once they realize you're just curious and won't hurt them they don't mind. Ticks give me the creepy-crawlies though.

There's a lot of wildlife around. I know there are scorpions out there, I've seen them, so I hope to get a pic of one sometime. Other potential photos I would like include the standard rabbits, skunks, and raccoons that live bloody everywhere in North America. Also coyotes, razorbacks (aka ugly wild hogs), armadillos, possums, foxes, quail, and roadrunners. Bats, hawks, and eagles are cool but present a challenge for a mediocre photographer such as myself. Yesterday I missed getting pics of two white tail deer and a wild turkey. Perhaps if I didn't have my dog with me... haha. There are mountain lions and in Eastern Oklahoma there are black bears but frankly I hope I never run into either of those-- most of the time encounters with these critters are uneventful but I'd hate to test the odds with such formidable predators.

Oh. I just realized this is SR not the Nature Conservancy.

Last edited by gneiss; 04-27-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:40 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  
Never settle.

I like the tie-in: "This is your brain... this is your brain on drugs.... this is your brain fried over-easy on a pasta bed."

It's awfully hard to stay on the straight and narrow when others around aren't. Not that their choices have anything to do with you, necessarily, but it's a constant reminder of that lifestyle and makes leaving it behind difficult.

:ghug
Old 04-27-2009, 03:37 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  
mergirl

relationships are so tricksy!!
Old 04-27-2009, 06:46 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Survived my final presentation in class tonight and I just submitted my last exam for the semester (yes, I love take-home exams). I have a couple papers left to write and that's it... semester's almost over!! And mostly the papers should be not too bad. Feeling pretty good about this.

Found out today I was not accepted to grad school at either of my first choice universities so I will be here for a couple more years. I think it will be ok, I just worry about the number of people I know around here on drugs. As long as I don't run into them at any point I think it will be ok. But... town's not that big. I might have to dig a little deeper here. I had been prepared to ride it out for a couple more months then disappear, but now I need something a little more permanent.

What I've figured out so far: When my contract is up this summer I am moving so the druggies no longer know where I live; though they have not shown up here-- I just would like to move so I'm more comfortable. Already changed my phone number, so no biggie there. And I have been pretty successful recently sticking to my non-druggie friends. Also, walking 6 or 7 miles a few times a week kind of takes up a lot of the time I would otherwise have been doing drugs and it makes me want to stay clean.

Any other suggestions?
Old 04-28-2009, 01:15 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  

gneiss - you sound like you are on a good path - getting away from past friends, walking a lot, feeling OK about going to one of your second place schools - your intuition will probably carry you away from those friends in the long run..

Phal - your egg pic is the best.. how did they taste?

I love creepy crawlies - all of them.. snakes are pretty amazing.. guess I don't like ticks though, or fleas for that matter.. but most insects and definitely arachnids are just amazing.. Our only snake is a garter but still really beautiful.. have run into rattlers in Arizona too - hear them then see them.. and scoot by quickly!
Old 04-28-2009, 01:49 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Time for a new thread!
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ck-part-v.html