Blogs

Notices

Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part IV

Old 04-01-2009, 07:50 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I don't know if I have a "reason" for it. I just like it. It makes me feel more "me". I've really enjoyed embracing the concept that it's my hair and I can do to it whatever I desire. If someone else doesn't like it, well... it's not their hair.

I took my child to a school event at the roller skating rink. One of his classmates was accompanied by his grandfather. The man was very nice and chatted with me on and off the whole time. At one point he looked at me and said, "Don't take this the wrong way. I just have to ask because I like to try to understand people. Why the pink hair?" I looked at him and smiled and said, "Well, why not? I like it." He got very defensive and said, "Well I didn't mean anything by it! I was just asking..." and babbled on about how sometimes he just doesn't understand what runs through people's minds. I said that was fine and I didn't mind him asking, but if someone asks me why my reaction is why not.

I DEFINITELY get a LOT more compliments on my unconventional colors than I EVER got with regular hair styling and highlights. Just an extra bonus.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:54 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Originally Posted by Phaleron View Post
I like the color it is now (in the pictures it's red)!
LOL the pictures can actually be deceiving. And it depends on which picture(s) you're looking at. On my Flickr account, there aren't any RECENT pictures of me. If you look at the Mexico 2008 album, that was when I had the hot pink (it was actually striped but in some of the pictures the wind was blowing and it looked like it was pink all over - it was not).

The RED looking pictures are fairly old.

Right now my hair is a combination of Raspberry Kamikaze and Midnight Blue. I did it myself at home (using professional products) right before the Superbowl. Those pictures are on Facebook, not Flickr. I might put one or two up now that I have people looking at my Flickr again. LOL
Old 04-01-2009, 08:29 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  
Never settle.

I was at home on my own with my green hair one day and some people came around handling out fliers for a church. I didn't think anything of my green hair, I just sorta forgot anything was unusual about it most of the time. So... I opened the door and said hello to these people. They looked so shocked! They stammered something about their church and handed me a flier. And left, post haste. Were they really that uncomfortable with a little green hair?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:40 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

LOL Gneiss! Yep, some people really are THAT uptight.

How sad.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:41 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

My best friend's daughter colored just a small strip of her hair green using Kool Aid, of all things. It's naturally a pretty dark brown so it wasn't BRIGHT green, but was noticeable. I was really surprised how well the Kool Aid colored the hair, and how long it stayed green!!
Old 04-01-2009, 08:43 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Oh yeah, something else I was going to bring up when I was talking about it making me feel more "me".

The manager at my gym was talking to me about it once when I showed up with the really bright pink hair. He's a SUPER nice guy and we get along really well. He said that he thinks it would be neat if his wife did something like that, and it would probably look really good on her, but she doesn't have "pink hair personality", and that that's just not "who she is".

I'm not sure why, but that really made me stop and think. Does that mean I DO have "pink hair personality"? And if so, what does that mean? Is it a good thing, or an insult? That was over a year ago and I still haven't figured it out.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:51 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  
Never settle.

My sister dyed her hair with purple Kool-Aid! It went through the strangest succession of colors as it faded-- purple to red to pink to copper-- and I think it took several months to completely go away. Purple Kool-Aid on blonde hair really sticks around for a while!

Red is usually associated with passion and intensity. Pink with being girly. So a bright or intense pink would be a good thing, to me. Intense or passionate and feminine. From your posts it seems to work, and I should think it was a compliment.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:56 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Phaleron View Post
If I hadn't of been a 'square' I'd have dyed mine black.
That's what I usually dyed mine; bleached it once, but my classmates in Spain called me "pelo pollo".
Old 04-02-2009, 06:27 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Oh god I'm ready to torch some bridges
Old 04-02-2009, 06:48 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

I was going out with my best friend's wife's friend, we were together for a year and a half. During that time, through my ex, I found out what my friend's wife really thought of him, how she basically cheats on him, etc...oh yeah and she would constantly bad mouth me as well without cause. I promised my ex that I'd never say anything to my best friend. Anyways, just found out that she continues to demean me and even bashes her friend(my ex). I'm kind of tempted to tell my friend all the crap I know...I won't though, it's not going to solve anything. Ugh, this sounds like high school.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Again, thanks Phal. I don't know why I got so irritated about it yesterday...I do know that I don't care to, nor will I hang out with my friend if she's around.

In response to being single, sure it can be lonely, but I need to work on myself before I even consider getting into another relationship and for the most part I enjoy it; it's nice not having to worry about anyone else's crap except my own.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:33 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  
Never settle.

I've been at work for almost 13 hours now. I'm a sticky, muddy, bruised, bloodied mess. (But feeling great about it. I earned every last bit of it). Just got home. And I'm supposed to be going out for dinner with some friends in 45 minutes. I'm sooo tired but in a nice "I actually did work and accomplished things today" sort of way. So, just wanted to let everyone know I'm still around and I'll check in later, or maybe tomorrow.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:15 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  
lunarlovelunar

Hey there peeps...

Phal... So sorry to hear about your vacation ending.... bahhhh work is over rated! lol

Gneiss..can I borrow some of your tiredness so I can sleep well tonight? Thought it was worth a shot. lol

Well I felt a little better today...less tense and anxious but its not completely gone. I went out and took some pix...tryin to learn how to use all those fancy schmancy settings lol Got a few decent shots....

A little vent....so huzzy knows he is gonna be gone past dark...KNOWS THIS...then calls at 9pm and wants me to go and shut the door to the coop.....its dark..we live in the country...theres not a chance!
Old 04-04-2009, 12:47 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vividserenity View Post
A little vent....so huzzy knows he is gonna be gone past dark...KNOWS THIS...then calls at 9pm and wants me to go and shut the door to the coop.....its dark..we live in the country...theres not a chance!
Eugene Oregon, I bet you've got bears, hey I wouldn't go out either ! But honestly I'm sure there are as many bears during daylight hours. Even so, he could have called before, and you can tell him I said so !

I bet that scares him GRRRRRR
Old 04-04-2009, 05:38 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Hello secular loves... Haven't been by in a while.I'm dragging my butt out of bed for an AA women's meeting. Hope everyone's having a beeyootiful Saturday.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:49 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

well...the report isn't done...and i will be working this weekend. And mom is coming too

I know I need to get dressed and get in to work, but I really just don't want to....

I've only found one pretty significant ooopsy from last summer so far....that ate up a bunch of my report work time...didn't fix it but had to document it and figure out the solution...go eat crow and hope my boss doesn't have to know next week to get it fixed...

After that yesterday morning i found that i wasn' near as good at staying on task and focused...fear is not a good motivator for me. being under preasure can help as long as the end goal is doable, as soon as the goal becomes not achievable i hit panic mode and don't do so well....

I guess when i drank the drinking must have made me oblivious to the panic mode...cause i actually did my job much better drunk. I know it's a big no-no to talk about that, but it really is true....hell...ask my boss or anyone that works with me they will whole heartedly agree.

off to the grindstone
Old 04-04-2009, 08:06 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Speaking of motivation...

After dinner with my friends last night we stayed up until some ridiculous hour and I ended up falling asleep at someone else's house. And then, despite the fact that I should have been at work at 8 this morning, I did nothing until 2:00. I couldn't even motivate myself to get off his couch and go to work.

Luckily I still got my work done for today in the 2 hours I had before my shift ended and my boss will be none the wiser. Yes, I do love grad school
Old 04-04-2009, 08:14 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  
lunarlovelunar

Hey all~

So today had to tell a girlfriend that I couldnt be her maid of honor..dont wanna go in to the details but I feel crappy about it....however not as crappy as I had been hiding the fact for weeks! Maybe part of my anxiousness recently? I think so.... Im glad its over...it was one of the most difficult calls Ive had to make.

Ananda~ You may have done better at THAT when you were three sheets but I bet the rest of your life didnt look to hot.....just a reminder :ghug3 Its not good to reminisce to much.

:ghug3 s for everyone
Old 04-04-2009, 08:19 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Had a good meeting earlier today in the chat room and saw a few friendly faces from this board which is always nice.

Vivid, I'm glad you were able to tell your friend that you weren't going to be able to be her maid-of-honor. Although it feels crappy, I can tell from your words you have relief now that its out in the open.

Now I'm off to watch Gordon Ramsay swear at some bad cooks. Catch you all later!
Old 04-04-2009, 11:01 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Realized a little bit ago. I have 30 days. Boom, baby!