Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part IV

Old 03-28-2009, 02:48 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gneiss View Post
Random post because it's cold and snowing outside and I'm bored.
80 degrees here, going to get an iced coffee and try not to fall asleep while reading my textbook.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:49 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

iced coffee sounds good.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:27 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Old 03-28-2009, 04:02 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
lunarlovelunar

geoff...its a professional photography class but it starts with the basics...haha thats the part I am having trouble with! Its all digital, I dont think its going to go into the use of film much.....possible later in the course.

Shutter speed, ap, depth of field....their relationships... I may have to read this chapter a few hundred times!
Old 03-28-2009, 05:52 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by vividserenity View Post
geoff...its a professional photography class but it starts with the basics...haha thats the part I am having trouble with! Its all digital, I dont think its going to go into the use of film much.....possible later in the course.

Shutter speed, ap, depth of field....their relationships... I may have to read this chapter a few hundred times!

Vivid, I just got a book on basic photography today. I bought a bridge camera a few weeks ago and it's a trip! I couldn't bring myself to drop some serious dough on a DSLR because I'm inexperienced and I want to see how involved I'm going get before making a larger financial commitement. I have a degree in printmaking but I always wanted to learn photography. I'm going to teach myself at a slow pace. Have fun with your class! Sounds like a good time to me.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:54 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Oh yeah...TSH is a photographer (I wish she'd come back soon...) and I think stone does photography. Maybe you could chat them up? Happy shooting!
Old 03-28-2009, 06:10 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

You'll catch on soon enough; with digital, the learning curve is much shorter.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:12 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Saturday night doing calculus problems at home...total party.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:21 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Originally Posted by geoff View Post
Saturday night doing calculus problems at home...total party.
Sounds as fun as mine. A Saturday night with SR.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:24 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Oh. Here's the update. Went to that banquet tonight, ex told me a couple days ago he couldn't make it, so I invited someone else. It snowed so she couldn't make it into town (supposedly... the snow wasn't that bad. But then I grew up in snow, and people here did not). I went, had a good time, avoided the cash bar. I felt pretty good about it. It did not bother me greatly to be around alcohol. A good evening, overall.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:02 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  
lunarlovelunar

Gneiss I am glad your night went well! Yeah...i love it when the things we worry about turnout to be not much at all! Makes me think that I really dont have to worry about stuff all the time! lol Thats cool about the camera! I am just getting started in the class so...let me know if you really get into it....

I dont know why I thought today that I should just be able to KNOW this stuff..I just read over the material...geesh..guess I can be a little rough on myself.

WOW I didnt know about TSH...is she gone now? taking a break?
Old 03-28-2009, 09:48 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Thanks Viv. It is funny, I was really worried about the alcohol but it was ok. Not nearly as big of a deal as I thought it would be.

I was actually WAY more uncomfortable during the benediction at the end of the banquet. One of our geology profs is also an Episcopalian minister. At the end of the banquet and all the awards and speeches she asked everyone to stand. I can stand and not pray just as well as I can sit and not pray, and no one around seemed to notice or care whether I bowed my head or not. But I still felt weird standing for a prayer that I was not participating in. But I also felt like it would be uncomfortable to sit during the prayer.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:49 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

WOW I didnt know about TSH...is she gone now? taking a break?

Don't know....
Old 03-29-2009, 03:57 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by gneiss View Post
I can stand and not pray just as well as I can sit and not pray, and no one around seemed to notice or care whether I bowed my head or not. But I still felt weird standing for a prayer that I was not participating in. But I also felt like it would be uncomfortable to sit during the prayer.

Sit there and tell people your *ss hurts...see if anyone looks at you strangely.

Me, I'm so stubborn right now I'd probably sit and if anyone wanted to know why, I'd let them worry about it.

The last time I went through the motions of sitting/standing in a church was for my brother's wedding. It was uber uncomfortable (I even did a reading! The horror!), but I kept telling myself I was doing it for him. I didn't want to draw any attention to myself, so I (uncomfortably) went through the motions. Did not sing...did not say "amen"...just sat and stood in silence.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:19 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Ok.. rant time! lol I'm starting to really dislike my thesis advisor. She makes me feel so stupid.. She's helpful at times but she is the biggest micro manager I've met. She finds fault with every sentence I write.. And she never offers praise so I'm left thinking she hates everything I write, even when she doesn't say it. Problem is I can't find a new advisor, so I'm stuck with her.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:46 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Originally Posted by Eroica View Post
Ok.. rant time! lol I'm starting to really dislike my thesis advisor. She makes me feel so stupid.. She's helpful at times but she is the biggest micro manager I've met. She finds fault with every sentence I write.. And she never offers praise so I'm left thinking she hates everything I write, even when she doesn't say it. Problem is I can't find a new advisor, so I'm stuck with her.
I haven't started my thesis yet. If I stay where I am to finish grad school, and I hope I don't, there's only one option for my thesis adviser (that's the reason I want to transfer elsewhere. There really isn't a program here for what I want to do, I'd be better off in a department with more options). He has a reputation as being a jerk, nobody seems to like him. But I took a class from him last year as an undergrad and I guess I was sorta his pet student. It was uncomfortable because the other students felt like they had to compete against me. And I ended up with the only A he's given in the last 2 years. Academic politics are so weird.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:19 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

just checking in..... *waves*
Old 03-29-2009, 08:25 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Having my morning speedball (SR & coffee)...
Old 03-29-2009, 08:26 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
The last time I went through the motions of sitting/standing in a church was for my brother's wedding. It was uber uncomfortable (I even did a reading! The horror!), but I kept telling myself I was doing it for him. I didn't want to draw any attention to myself, so I (uncomfortably) went through the motions. Did not sing...did not say "amen"...just sat and stood in silence.
I felt like it was similar to the Pledge of Allegiance, which I don't say. I stand for it and face the flag because it seems like the best way to respect others' beliefs and show respect for the country. Similarly, I try to respect others' beliefs and part of that is not being distracting in this type of a setting. There's a time and place to take a stand, but a professional banquet isn't one of them. I actually watched my rabidly atheist professor and even he stood quietly... which is a great contrast to his rants during lecture.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:34 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
Having my morning speedball (SR & coffee)...
Speedball. DK, you crack me up.