Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

People with higher religiousity and lower psychopathology do better in AA

Blogs

Notices

People with higher religiousity and lower psychopathology do better in AA

Old 02-27-2009, 03:36 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
mle-sober

This thread is crazy.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:53 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Roadhunter View Post
I found this part of the intro to the study interesting "Religiosity, however,
is strongly and positively related with psychopathology, which
we reasoned would be negatively related to AA affiliation."

So, the premise is that those who are more religious are more likely to have mental illnesses. Personally, I would go so far as to say that many religions are manifestations of mental abnormalities. Some religions were created by mentally ill people, and many religions prey on people with mental issues to this day. I'm just surprised to see it stated as fact in this paper, and I think that in so stating this, the authors show bias from the beginning.
This also seems to mess with the conclusion of the study. The way I interpret it, AA works more for those who are religious, yet works less for those who have mental issues, and those people who are more religious are more likely to be the ones with mental issues. Seems like the two "conditions" (religiousity and pyschopathology) should cancel each-other out to a certain extent as they pertain to success in AA.
Please correct me if I'm wrong in my assumptions. No offense will be taken at any answer from which I might learn.
Although there is a positive correlation between religiousity and mental illness, there are still those who are one but not the other. Those are the individuals who were chosen for the study. I could have been one of the subjects in the 'Mismatched' group; not religious, but plenty of psychopathology.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:28 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by mle-sober View Post
This thread is crazy.
Did you read the abstract?
Old 02-27-2009, 05:07 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Let's stop beating around the bush. Its up to AA to put forth convincing data that AA is effective, and they havent stepped up to the plate. Most likely, the people in AA who have been sober for years did it by themselves. They wised up, whether they're atheist or super fundamentalist or whatever. Is that so unbelievable?

How do you credit a program for your recovery? You're crediting YOURSELF. Thats why we say congrats to YOU, not your HP. lol
Old 02-27-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

You right it is one of a few crazy threads but i do love them!
Old 02-27-2009, 05:25 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

The study doesn't really evaluate the effectiveness of AA, but rather the effectiveness of 12 Step therapy, and whether religiousity and psychopathology are determining factors in it's success or failure.

Did anyone other than myself, Katie & Roadhunter RTFS?
Old 02-27-2009, 05:36 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

It doesn't matter what your religion is, One GOD for all people. We are all his children, and he loves us more than we could ever imagine. And faith is a beautiful thing. Faith is taking the first step when you can't see the stairs. A famous quote from Martin Luther King. Freedom from any kind of addiction can be attained, but only if the person wants it, and is willing to do the work. God Bless all of the struggling addicts. For addicts are the best people in the world, and the strongest. Regular people can not withstand what the addict has had to endure. Thanks for hearing me out. Angel
Old 02-27-2009, 05:43 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Thanks, Angelic. Not exactly on the topic of this thread though...

It doesn't matter what your religion is, One GOD for all people. We are all his children, and he loves us more than we could ever imagine.

Last edited by doorknob; 02-27-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:55 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Personally, I don't think tax money should be poured into studies like these at all. (I don't know if tax payer money was used in this study, but it is in others). You might as well spend millions to see if Christianity works as a recovery method. As helpful as it might be to some or ingrained into our society, 12-step therapy has absolutely no standing in science or medicine. No scientist as a result of experimentation discovered the 12 steps. Its empirically indefensible. Unfortunately, its still marketed because its SO profitable...a lot of people try it out.

Thats why I say its up to AA and 12 step groups to gather the funds to conduct a study that can satisfy neautral parties interested in seeing who it works for. The 12-step industry has a LOT of money, friends in high places, the whole deal. It should be easy, right?
Old 02-27-2009, 06:04 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

A report stating that people 'high in religiosity and low in psychiatric severity' tended to get involved in 12 step tasks and relate better to the twelve step therapists, as opposed to individuals that are low in religiosity and high in psychiatric severity, from the University of Mexico, to sum it up quick like!
Old 02-27-2009, 06:16 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
A report stating that people 'high in religiosity and low in psychiatric severity' tended to get involved in 12 step tasks and relate better to the twelve step therapists, as opposed to individuals that are low in religiosity and high in psychiatric severity, from the University of Mexico, to sum it up quick like!
And even though they connected with their therapists, did more Step work, and attended more meetings, it didn't make any (statistically significant) difference in their drinking behavior.

Last edited by doorknob; 02-27-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
Roadhunter i was taking the **** being sarcastic. I totally believe that alcoholism is a disease and totally agree that substitution is a complete waste of time to tackle any addiction.

Sorry i feel a bit bad now, don't be mad pls!
Ha! You got me there. Sorry it took so long to reply. I don't get mad.