SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Rational Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/169633-rational-recovery.html)

Fubarcdn 02-17-2009 07:16 PM

Rational Recovery

I have heard a lot about this book here so I ordered it and it is on it's way from amazon.ca.
I just checked out the web site and came upon this.
Although most of you have probably already seen this I had not.

Hope it is OK to post this link. If not so sorry.

This pretty much describes how I think about quitting.
I will never drink again.
That is my big plan.

It is so simple and I think it will work for me.

Comments appreciated.

TryingSoHard 02-17-2009 07:21 PM

I have the book. I like it.

Well, I should qualify that. Trimpey does a lot of AA-bashing in the book. Blatant, in-your-face, bashing. If you can get past that (or if it doesn't phase you), then I think you will LOVE the book. I can't tell you how relieved I felt when I read my copy. It all just made such perfect sense!! It gave me clarity and hope.

Want to quit drinking? Great. Quit. Now get on with your life and quit yer bitchin.

LOL! That was basically it. And I was like... really? That's it? So simple and yet so freaking profound to my pickled mind!

Let me know what you think once you read it.

p.s. And yeah, he's an NOT an advocate of "just don't drink today". When he explains why it really makes sense, and I finally came to grips with it myself. Why fight with myself on a daily basis? Why have to make the choice not to drink every day for the rest of my life? All I have to do is acknowledge that I can not drink anymore and I win. No more arguing with that Addict Voice. There are no more choices to make - I simply will not drink anymore. It was a huge relief when that finally "clicked" in my head.

Fubarcdn 02-17-2009 08:15 PM

When I finally decided to quit that is what I said to myself. " I will just quit and then the more I read the more I thought that there was more to it than that. After reading the 5-6 pages of the above link I am back to thinking that there isn't anything more to it tham that. Maybe there is for some people but not for me.

Eroica 02-18-2009 05:33 AM

I use AVRT, even though I know the "AV" is really me, but it helps to divide up the mind that way, into that part of the mind that wants instant gratification, and the grown-up part which wants everything else for us: relationships, jobs, health, important things we work towards.

lrvp99 02-18-2009 08:26 AM

After several attempts at staying sober thru AA, I found RR/AVRT on the internet and decided to give it a try. I've now been sober since July 28, 2008. For me it is an effective technique for staying sober, and it gets easier as time goes by. It was remarkably simple and easy from day one. I used a similar technique 18 years ago to quit smoking.

You simply learn to separate your concious human mind, or higher brain, from your animal mind, or lower brain. You recognize that the urge to drink, the "addictive voice", comes from your animal mind. Your human mind has ultimate control over your animal mind, so when the urge hits you, it is quite easy to discard the craving and move on. It's that simple.

agrippa 02-21-2009 04:40 AM

I quit on my own. I decided that It was in my way, so I just stopped doing it. Sometime later, I found RR on the internet. I talked to the wife on the phone and I found out that used RR.

Kallista 02-23-2009 12:39 PM

I'm in AA and found this book very interesting. I've used some of the techniques. I've referred people who don't "do God" to it.