SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Pennsylvania Method? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/169628-pennsylvania-method.html)

TryingSoHard 02-17-2009 05:23 PM

Pennsylvania Method?

Has anyone heard of this or familiar with its theories at all? My husband mentioned it to me very briefly tonight. He said there's some group in Phoenix that uses this as an alternative to a religious or 12-step approach. He said it's based on using medication to treat alcoholism instead of step-based programs because there is no evidence that 12-step programs actually work (or something like that, that's paraphrased). His focus in the conversation was not the medication aspect but their views on 12-step programs.

So, anyone have any experience with or knowledge of this?

Before you tell me to FGI ;) I'm going to... I just have to put my kid in the tub first!

Dee74 02-17-2009 05:53 PM

ok...just worked out FGI :lmao

D

yeahgr8 02-17-2009 06:03 PM

Interesting stuff just read about it, would need to read more but looks ok?!

I just remembered and this is nothing to do with your option, but i went for alcoholism resonance treatment 18 months ago, this is going to make you laugh i had to sit holding 2 metal rods attached to a machine for a few hours 2 days on the trot then they gave me pills to take everyday and a 2inch metal tube which apparently was charged and i had to keep it in my pocket, it cost me $4000 lol im just shaking my head right now! i was pissed within 2 weeks heheh

I'd forgotten all about that!!!

As i said this is nothing to do with Pennsylvania Method so im not being negative:-)

Mariposa18 02-17-2009 06:17 PM

Okay...what's FGI!? lol

OH OH OH, is it f*cking google it? :lmao

TryingSoHard 02-17-2009 06:41 PM

You know it, my sista!

:lmao

TryingSoHard 02-17-2009 06:42 PM

And LOL - I'm trying to FGI now and I'm getting search results for a Pennsylvania winery. Um... nope!

TryingSoHard 02-17-2009 06:45 PM

Ok, finally got it. It's the Pennsylvania MODEL, not Method, so that's what was screwing me up. Looks like it's also called Assisted Recovery (ARCA). More after I actually read about it.

Katie09 02-17-2009 07:21 PM

TSH, I went there in 2004 (ARCA is Assisted Recovery in Phoenix). Long and short of it, at the time it wasn't a licensed facility. I don't know about now. The therapist had no qualifications or training other than X years of sobriety. After he referred to women being hen-pecked, I demanded my money back. Turns out AZ started requiring that CD counselors be licensed and he did not pass the test - at least not when he took it and he is no longer with the facility. Too, I didn't care for taking naltrexone. I've taken Campral too and didn't like that. The program is based on REBT and holds SMART meetings. If you have SMART in your area, you might want to try that first. Your mileage may vary. That was my experience. :)

Fubarcdn 02-17-2009 07:26 PM

I don't like the idea of using drugs that may not be necessary to quit drinking.
I am generally suspicious of what appears to be another expensive way to get clean.

Katie09 02-17-2009 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn (Post 2113313)
I don't like the idea of using drugs that may not be necessary to quit drinking.
I am generally suspicious of what appears to be another expensive way to get clean.

I agree. One night in group someone said he felt like drinking. The suggestion by this therapist was to take another Naltrexone. I thought...wait, we are supposed to be learning how to live and find coping strategies not another drug. At any rate, maybe it's better now than it was back then. Places change.

I am thinking of going to a non 12 step place in FL called Alternative Recovery International. I've talked with their staff and it seems like the best option for me at this point. If my psychiatrist blesses it tomorrow, guess I will go to FL.

TryingSoHard 02-17-2009 08:23 PM

Keep us posted, Katie.

I should clarify: this place/method didn't come up as a suggestion of some place for me to go. My hub just heard about it (not sure how) and it intrigued him because of their thoughts on 12-step programs. He's a pharmacist and I haven't even gotten his opinion on the use of medications in recovery; I don't think I'd like that very much. I also don't think I personally need it. I'm really glad the meds are available for people who need them and benefit from them, but I'm not in that group.

As a side note, I finally got my info from SOS today in the mail. It's a 2-sided pamphlet that doesn't really say anything except what's already on their website (which I had to go through to request the info - LOL). But it did include a list of "local" names and email addresses. I'm not sure if these are people who HAVE started a group or who WANT to start a group or what... I guess I'll email one of them and find out. Hope they're still intersted in SOS since there's no telling how long ago they put their names out there! :)

coffeenut 02-17-2009 08:31 PM

I can NOT believe how long I haven't been able to figure out FGI. I also can't believe I'm admitting it! :)

Trying...if a trip to Phoenix is in the deal...I'd just maybe look into it! :P

Katie09 02-17-2009 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard (Post 2113401)
Keep us posted, Katie.

I should clarify: this place/method didn't come up as a suggestion of some place for me to go. My hub just heard about it (not sure how) and it intrigued him because of their thoughts on 12-step programs. He's a pharmacist and I haven't even gotten his opinion on the use of medications in recovery; I don't think I'd like that very much. I also don't think I personally need it. I'm really glad the meds are available for people who need them and benefit from them, but I'm not in that group.

As a side note, I finally got my info from SOS today in the mail. It's a 2-sided pamphlet that doesn't really say anything except what's already on their website (which I had to go through to request the info - LOL). But it did include a list of "local" names and email addresses. I'm not sure if these are people who HAVE started a group or who WANT to start a group or what... I guess I'll email one of them and find out. Hope they're still intersted in SOS since there's no telling how long ago they put their names out there! :)

Oh, how interesting your husband is a pharmacist. I do hope that SOS list yields results for you. What about SMART in your area? LifeRing maybe? I think the world of LR. :)

gneiss 02-17-2009 09:28 PM

A bit off subject but I find it hilarious that I read "FGI" in the original post and had to google it to figure out what it meant. Oh the sadness...

TryingSoHard 02-17-2009 10:43 PM

Katie: No SMART or LifeRing anywhere near me. SMART has *one* group elsewhere in the state; LifeRing doesn't even have a presence in my state. Thank you, Bible Belt. :c004:

Gneiss: ROFL!! At least you followed instructions! :lmao

windysan 02-18-2009 05:49 AM

I like my steaks "Pittsburgh style"

doorknob 02-18-2009 09:09 AM

I tried Naltrexone once and couldn't tell the difference. Personally, I think it is mostly placebo...

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard (Post 2113401)

I got mine yesterday too. Called the contact # for my area and it was disconnected... :lmao

I'm gonna try the email. :D

KindBird 02-18-2009 09:29 AM

Interesting thread..
Smart has a good handbook and web site - I think there are on-line meetings. For he their cost/benefit stuff has been really helpful fo rme, and their info on cravings.

Also reading through Fubar's new Rational Recovery thread - makes me really look at all this info we have.. For me the solution so far has been such a hybrid of things - lots of Smart recovery stuff, a lot of the having changing approach from Changing for Good (James O. Prochaska).. and loads of support from SR. I can't do the "stop forever" thing alone - I am about 30% one-day-at-a-time and about 70% in the forever side.. ratio goes more toward forever the longer I am not drinking.. I could not have started the first few weeks thinking "forever"..

Bottom line for me is that there are lots of paths and we all have to build our own - with a lot of help.. I feel so lucky that there are resources out there for us!

TryingSoHard 02-18-2009 10:27 AM

I could not have started the first few weeks thinking "forever"..
Oh, I absolutely could not have, either. It took me a while to accept that I REALLY could NEVER drink "normally" again. I fought that tooth and nail. I WANTED to believe that I could change and go back to how I used to be. It just isn't FAIR, FFS! I had to let go of the anger before I could start to see things more clearly.

But definite the early days were one day at a time. Heck, most days it was one *moment* at a time.