Blogs

Notices

Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part III

Old 02-20-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

gneiss...

Secular whine:

Anyone ever feel physically ill when getting really upset or depressed?

I'm very cold and a little queasy.

Basically I feel like crap, both physically and mentally.

The urge to drink has been pretty strong now for at least three weeks...when is this going to end? Never? Is there any relief to be had? I hate feeling this hopeless...I want to get off of this ride, but it's moving and I don't know how to stop it.

Therapy (or as I like to say "talk sessions") didn't help...when I went before alcohol took over. Even if they gave me pills...would that help? I doubt anything will help.

If I didn't know any better I'd swear I have the flu...
Old 02-20-2009, 03:24 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I was just gonna say... my gut reaction is that you've got some bug that's going around. My kids both have it, but for them it's mostly head/chest congestion and a cough that just will NOT QUIT. Little one did throw up once. He's just not been himself... tired, generally "blah", and that DANG COUGH.

Anyway. You very well might be honest-to-goodness sick.

When you ask about pills, do you mean antidepressants or do you mean something like Antabuse or Campral? I do honestly believe there is relief to be found... we just have to figure out the path to our own personal relief. Unfortunately what works for some does not work for all.

:ghug3
Old 02-20-2009, 03:38 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

antidepressants.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:43 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Years ago when I first gave in and tried anti-depressants, I fought it tooth and nail. I didn't want to "need" drugs to make me better. I thought I should just be able to BE BETTER. Well, I wasn't. Zoloft was a wonder drug for me, truly.

Over time my doc(s) changed my dosage and eventually my pills and nothing ever worked as well as Zoloft did for me. I need to find a way to get back on it.

But that was just me. I also, at some point in time or another, was on Effexor (AWFUL panic attacks as a side effect!!), Celexa (just plain didn't do anything for me) and... one other one that I can't remember. But I know people who have used those very successfully - they just didn't do it for me.

My long-winded point being: yes, there is relief out there.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:35 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  
☯ ⓌⒾⓁⓁ☯

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
Anyone ever feel physically ill when getting really upset or depressed?
My depression symptoms were like I had chronic fatigue or something. I remember dragging myself around for about a year and a half before my depression treatment took hold.

Originally Posted by Strangef8 View Post
Have any of you looked at SmartRecovery?
I use the SMART tool's constantly. My whole addiction treatment is based in CBT/REBT principles. Even the 2 groups I go to are CBT mainly. Well except one group counselor, she has a long history with AA but doesn't push the program...I think the AA program is outside the realm of the practiced treatment modality used at clinic.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:05 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Originally Posted by zencat View Post
My depression symptoms were like I had chronic fatigue or something.
I will totally second that.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:08 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I am addicted to the internet, I think.

I've just spent about six hours on the net....I've been on since getting home from work and only took breaks for things like the bathroom and a quick trip to the store.

I get on everyday...I look forward to it when I'm at work.
It's all I do (besides eat).

This is getting ridiculous.

I have no life.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:49 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I have a life, but I'm still plenty addicted to the 'net.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:58 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Anyone hear from spark lately?
Old 02-20-2009, 09:20 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I'm tired...and my intestines are making some strange noises. I think I'm going to go to bed soon.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:22 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  
Never settle.

I managed to be the designated driver last night. A bunch of friends wanted to go to the bar. And it worked out fine. I really wasn't even tempted to drink. I took a bunch of drunks home. None of them smoke but I have a mysterious pack of cigarettes in my car. I think we had a little drunk kleptomania last night at the bar. Insane. Makes me wonder what I did on all those nights I can't remember.

Thanks for all your thoughts and comments. It's been a long couple of days.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:41 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Hope things continue to go well for you gneiss, I was so sorry to hear about your friend it must have been really upsetting for you.

When I went out on the town I always used to come back with a collection of lighters and other peoples cigarettes, lol.

I never set out to steal them but I used to always worry that I would run out, guess it shows the selfish side of a drunk.

I havent seen spark around for a while, hope he is ok (but it gives me a bad feeling).
Old 02-21-2009, 02:31 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

On the depression thing, Bam, I wonder if TSH has a point. I know when I'm depressed I wouldn't be able to tell whether I was sick or not - it can really help if there's someone else to check us over or we can neglect ourselves too easily.

Sure, in long term depression fatigue and anxiety will slowly but surely consume and poison our muscles until they're chronically weak and painful, but some of the other symptoms you describe perhaps aren't necessarily connected to depression.

Anyway, get well soon.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:41 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

When I get really upset I feel sick.

I'm tired all the time...been this way for almost 15 years...and they tell me there's nothing wrong with my thyroid. WTF?
Old 02-21-2009, 04:49 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Just a thought, have you looked into M.E., Bam?
Chronic fatigue syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 02-21-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  
Resident

Just checking in.
Maybe Spark just hasn't checked in for awhile.
I have an exciting weekend item on the agenda. Getting a new electric frying pan because the teflon is peeling off the old ones and it adds nothing to the flavor of my tacos.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:50 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  
☯ ⓌⒾⓁⓁ☯

Doing some moving today...new apartment. And boy am I out of shape...LOL. Might be off line for a couple days...I'm not sure, I might get on elsewhere. My GF severely injured her ankle and is in the hospital. Maybe surgery. So I'll be busy for a wile helping he out with loving support and stuff. Ah well, it is what it is and I'll manage it all the best I can. I'm good to go actually...not stressing and I feel calm...Kinda funny feeling really. I thought I might have urges to use but that's not the case...cool.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:41 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
When I get really upset I feel sick.

I'm tired all the time...been this way for almost 15 years...and they tell me there's nothing wrong with my thyroid. WTF?
I feel sick to my stomach when I get really upset or stressed out. Like BAD. I hate it.

I had a ton of thyroid tests done in 2000 and they said (repeatedly) that nothing was wrong. it was incredibly frustrating because *something* was wrong with me but every test I had done came back normal. It's pretty bad when you start HOPING for bad test results just so you'll know what's wrong with you... I hope you don't ever feel like that, Bam.

What about iron levels? I've heard that being anemic can make you feel tired/run down a lot.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:43 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn View Post
Just checking in.
Maybe Spark just hasn't checked in for awhile.
I have an exciting weekend item on the agenda. Getting a new electric frying pan because the teflon is peeling off the old ones and it adds nothing to the flavor of my tacos.
This reminds me - we recently got a new wok from Calphalon. The one we had started flaking off the teflon right in the middle of the pan. It was the first time I've ever attempted to take advantage of the warranty on cookware, and it went beautifully! I mailed them the damaged wok with a very brief note, and about 3 weeks later a brand new wok showed up at my house! I love it when companies do what they say they will do.

Good morning, y'all.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:44 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Good luck with the moving and with taking care of your Gf, Zen! I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible.