Blogs

Notices

Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part III

Old 02-18-2009, 07:33 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  
☯ ⓌⒾⓁⓁ☯

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
The public library is gonna let me hold a meeting there (long as we don't get out of hand, lol). I'm gonna start this Saturday, but I'm not gonna expect any turnout. That way, if nobody shows up, I won't be disappointed.
Maybe promote the meeting on craigslist.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:52 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by zencat View Post
Maybe promote the meeting on craigslist.
That's not a bad idea.. I found my computer guy and a good auto mechanic on Craig's List... except most of the people that use Craig's List live in and around Spokane and I'm 35 miles out. They're just learning how to use the internet around here, lol... but it certainly can't hurt, and it's free. Thanks, Zen.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:50 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  
lunarlovelunar

OMG! Apparently I know nothing about myself or my problems.....AHHGGGGG sorry..some peeps on chat tonight were very condescending....it sucks when you want to say so much but you're so [email protected] confused hurt angry that you dont want to take the time to type it all.... I havent felt this crazy since the day I decided to get sober
Old 02-18-2009, 11:19 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Never settle.

This is TOTALLY nerdy but it was probably the best I have felt since I quit.

First, one of my old drug buddies (one who is unusually manipulative and I actually kinda *liked* so it was even easier for him to manipulate me) called me and asked if I wanted to party. I said no thanks, and he got pretty mean and, lo and behold, manipulative. I didn't let it work though. I hung up on him and called another friend to vent a little and he had me laughing about it in a few minutes. He sorta made my drug buddy look ridiculous, rather than threatening.

And then (this is where it gets nerdy) I went to a lecture today. It's research week on campus and there was an internationally famous paleontologist visiting to talk about his research on dinosaurs. I went to both lectures he presented. I am studying paleontology but I am interested in different kinds of critters than dinosaurs. But really, who doesn't love dinosaurs? By the end of it I was grinning ear-to-ear. I felt optimistic about my career and future and I was excited about school again in a way I have not been since I started drinking and doing drugs. And I felt confident in my abilities. It's an amazing feeling.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:09 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its so cool to see the secular forum active. Just a reminder tho...as difficult it can be...lets keep off the subject of AA as much as possible and avoid the
to all that Zencat
I really like the positive vibe here - lets keep it!
D
Old 02-19-2009, 02:42 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

I too like the positive vibe on these threads, but can we have a little bit of bitching and whining, it makes me laugh and we don't want to end up like pod people.

Maybe we could have a seperate thread for when you want to vent!

We could put a warning at the top so anyone who ventures in does so at there own peril. lol
Old 02-19-2009, 05:29 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Seeing as how SR is freaking huge and I don't wanna search for info. Have any of you looked at SmartRecovery? Wife gave me the link today but I like it here, lol. And it seems to be working. On day 30 and still keeping up with the positive attitude. Only had a few small cravings for a beer, like when having BBQ ribs and things like that.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:05 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by gneiss View Post
And then (this is where it gets nerdy) I went to a lecture today. It's research week on campus and there was an internationally famous paleontologist visiting to talk about his research on dinosaurs. I went to both lectures he presented. I am studying paleontology but I am interested in different kinds of critters than dinosaurs. But really, who doesn't love dinosaurs? By the end of it I was grinning ear-to-ear. I felt optimistic about my career and future and I was excited about school again in a way I have not been since I started drinking and doing drugs. And I felt confident in my abilities. It's an amazing feeling.
That brings back memories.. I think I'm missing college for the first time in a while... especially my sociology, anthropology and psychology classes.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by vividserenity View Post
OMG! Apparently I know nothing about myself or my problems.....AHHGGGGG sorry..some peeps on chat tonight were very condescending....it sucks when you want to say so much but you're so [email protected] confused hurt angry that you dont want to take the time to type it all.... I havent felt this crazy since the day I decided to get sober
Feel free to elaborate when you feel up to it.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Strangef8 View Post
Seeing as how SR is freaking huge and I don't wanna search for info. Have any of you looked at SmartRecovery? Wife gave me the link today but I like it here, lol. And it seems to be working. On day 30 and still keeping up with the positive attitude. Only had a few small cravings for a beer, like when having BBQ ribs and things like that.
SMART Recovery has some good techniques for fighting urges. Zen and Alera are pretty well versed in SMART.

SMART RecoveryŽ - Introduction

LifeRing is worth checking out too.

LifeRing Home Page
Old 02-19-2009, 08:16 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by allport View Post
we don't want to end up like pod people.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:02 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

I've scheduled an appointment for 3:00 next Tuesday to be de-poded

Let you know how it goes
Old 02-19-2009, 03:21 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  
lunarlovelunar

Thanks DK but I decided to get over myself instead.....ya know...cause acting 5 is very attractive.... Its hard to listen to other peoples opinion sometimes even when you ask for them....Everything is spiffy now....
Old 02-19-2009, 03:30 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  
Resident

I too like the positive vibe on these threads, but can we have a little bit of bitching and whining, it makes me laugh and we don't want to end up like pod people.

Maybe we could have a seperate thread for when you want to vent!

We could put a warning at the top so anyone who ventures in does so at there own peril. lol
You should check out the whiners thread under newcomers daily support. Very little AA talk there just genuine whining and support for people's whines.

Here is a typical example.
Someone posted.
Some idiot smashed up my car and I think it was me.
Check it out. It is one of my favorite spots here.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:58 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  
☯ ⓌⒾⓁⓁ☯

...and we don't want to end up like pod people.

NO! NO! Lets not turn out to be pod people...LOL.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:23 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Can we have a Secular Whiner's forum (or thread) because I'm too lazy to go over there?

(I used to frequent the Whiner's thread and loved it, btw)
Old 02-19-2009, 09:23 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  
Never settle.

OK, I was feeling great earlier. I just found out that, though it's been a few years since I spoke to him, a guy I was friends with in high school was killed in a car wreck and it's kinda hit me hard. He was a good guy. I am going to bed for now, take care. Thank you all for your kind words lately, I will check in after a day or two I think.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Resident

Sorry about your loss gneiss.
Just checking in today. I got my book order (Under the Influence and Rational Recovery) so I am going to try to do some reading today.
I hate reading. I wish I could wait for the movie.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:18 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that gneiss. Very sad day, there's been tragedy for a few people on SR.

Anyway, perhaps not the most auspicious moment, but I figured it was time I stuck my head through the door on this thread and said hi. So, hi.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:04 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by Strangef8 View Post
Yeap, I have worked SMART for a a few years now. It has saved my life. I mainly use the online meetings and the different tools more than their forum myself. I highly recommend it.