Blogs

Notices

Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part III

Old 02-16-2009, 07:33 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

It's nothing big. Certainly not worth yet another atheists vs. Christians dust-up. But I guess I've been pretty sheltered and lucky, living in the urban northeast for too long. I had forgotten that for some people, it doesn't matter how you live your life or if you put your hand out to newcomers or love your family or try to be compassionate or whatever... by nature of being an atheist you are a moral degenerate, just a fundamentally bad person. It's what people say when they're not really thinking about it. I don't know why I care. Maybe it's an ego thing, I can't stand the idea that someone out there thinks I/people like me are really bad. Not because of anything I do or say. Just because I am me.

Ha, you can tell I'm white and straight.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:45 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

TSH - How did the date go and I hope you are in a better mood.

DK - Hope your heads better

We had a nice weekend of video gaming and movie watching. Went out to Famous Dave's for ribs and then took the wife shopping for VD. I will say this - Ribs just don't taste quite right without a cold beer to wash them down.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:54 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Heh. The way I drank I couldn't taste the food I was "pairing my wine/beer" with, as it turns out. I loooooove ribs and buffalo wings, they do go pretty good with sparkling water with lime. The tanginess ya know. Mm I want some wings today.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:13 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Strangef8 View Post
My first post in her.

Is this where the "non-Godders" come to chat? If so, I'm in.
Welcome, Strange.

Sorry I missed your entrance...
Old 02-16-2009, 09:27 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Drunkaholic

Hey gang ... I've been mostly hiding out in my Class of December thread. I'm doing well though. I'm back visiting my boyhood home in Missouri where I started my drinking career 30 years ago.

I have survived this, Las Vegas a couple weeks ago and a few rock concerts along the way and tomorrow makes 60 Days so I am feeling pretty groovy.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

ExNavyInHouston, I'm glad to see you have joined us here. Congrats on stacking up those days.

Strangef8, those ribs sound good. What video games are you playing?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:37 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I'm cold and need to move to south Florida. South Louisiana is too cold.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:44 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Awesome, ExNavy! Welcome to SC!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:42 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Windy! How can you say South La. is too cold?! I was born and raised in N.O. and our definition of "cold" certainly didn't match the rest of the country's. LOL

I'm a LITTLE further north now - enough that we get snow (like real snow, not NOLA snow) about once a year and the winter temps hover in the 15 - 25 range for longer than I'd like. But, it's still the south and we still have 100-degree summers so there ya go.

Date Night on Friday was fun. Food was really good. I forgot how much I loved that restaurant and missed going there.

The rest of the weekend was hectic. I spent most of it in a bad mood (but trying really hard not to project that mood onto others, I'm much more aware of that now). The kids are out of school today and tomorrow so we're about to go run some errands.

I got a new Xbox karaoke game called Lips and it is AWESOME. You can even hook up your ipod and sing to your own music library (it just doesn't show the lyrics when you do that). It's SO much fun. But it's making me neglect Rock Band and Guitar Hero so I'm going to have to figure out how to play 3 games at once. ROFL
Old 02-16-2009, 11:32 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

If it gets in the 40's I'm freezing. I'm a tropical guy. I wish that global warming would hurry up and get here. I hope the weather will be warm for the crawfish boil I'm going to on sunday. I think somewhere around Miami would be nice.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:42 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I'm workin' on hookin' up with a new chiro... can't stand tha pain.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:08 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Oh man, crawfish boil...

sigh

I'll spend the rest of today daydreaming. Thanks, Windy.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:08 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

DK, I sure hope you feel better soon. ((gentle hugs))
Old 02-16-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by SelfSeeking View Post
It's nothing big. Certainly not worth yet another atheists vs. Christians dust-up. But I guess I've been pretty sheltered and lucky, living in the urban northeast for too long. I had forgotten that for some people, it doesn't matter how you live your life or if you put your hand out to newcomers or love your family or try to be compassionate or whatever... by nature of being an atheist you are a moral degenerate, just a fundamentally bad person. It's what people say when they're not really thinking about it. I don't know why I care. Maybe it's an ego thing, I can't stand the idea that someone out there thinks I/people like me are really bad. Not because of anything I do or say. Just because I am me.

Ha, you can tell I'm white and straight.

Hello, SS. Before I became a heathen I was AFRAID of atheists. They really scared me. I'm serious. I can laugh about it now, but at the time I felt that they (by merely existing) threatened my system of belief. I felt insecure because I thought they were more intelligent than I was...besides, their arguments made a lot of sense and I was too afraid (of eternal damnation) to acknowledge what they had to say.

This morning I came across a Youtube video with Paula Zahn at CNN and it was a segment on discrimination against atheists. During the second part there was a panel discussion. Not one of the three participants was an atheist. I was so disgusted with the rhetoric I could not finish watching it...they were basically saying that atheists bring discrimination upon themselves and that they should shut up.

For what it's worth, I think your complaints are valid.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:30 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  
lunarlovelunar

OMG there are atheists in here!!!!!...(vividserenity faints dramtically to the floor) lol just kidding. I can say that I wasnt ever afraid of atheists I just thought they had to be saved hahahaha as you can tell that went over quite well. Im glad I dont have that job anymore. Well for an update...things are good today. I went to the new counselor and I think she rocks. Not too clinical but not too fooofy either. A good balance is important you see. Huzzy is sticking to quitting today so far...I hope it sticks. Plus I bought a magazine at the store..ohh the little things that make us happy.....
Happy Monday Everybody!!!
:ghug
Old 02-16-2009, 04:36 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I just came across a video in relation to the ones I previously mentioned. It was Paula Zahn again (CNN) and it was another segment on discrimination against atheists. I wasn’t searching for this one…it happened to be on a site I was checking out…

Apparently CNN had gotten an overwhelming response by atheists concerning the fact that the panel did not consist of any atheists, so they brought on Richard Dawkins and Ellen Johnson (at the time president of American Atheists)...and they also brought on some religious figure who made offensive comments about atheists, gays and lesbians....AND he kept talking over everyone who disagreed with him...I can't believe I finished watching that video...I wanted to put my fist through the monitor. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

Anywho, if you want to see the videos (warning...it might peeve you off) a simple search will produce them. I'm not sure I recommend it.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:24 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

LOL... not tonight, Bam!
Old 02-16-2009, 05:49 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Sorry....
Old 02-16-2009, 06:07 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Administrator

lol
D
Old 02-16-2009, 06:42 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Hi, pretty new here. I am a life long atheist and I am thankful the internet exists because I haven't met anyone who sticks to atheism in local AA meetings!