Fantabulous Secular Connections Check-in Part III

Old 02-11-2009, 07:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm too techno-ignorant to quote, but the "church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence" gave me a good laugh for the day!!!
Old 02-11-2009, 07:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Good to see ya over here, Least! You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile...
Old 02-11-2009, 07:52 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

First time over here, don't know that I'll fit in real good....
but some of you here I've learned from....
and if your always here....
and I'm always somewhere else....
that doesn't work too good.....

Just don't want to miss out hearing from valuable folks like you.

I'll sit in the corner and listen. Is that ok?
Old 02-11-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

So far they've been nice to me (psst....i do aa )
Old 02-11-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Thanks, Massey. Good to have ya here!
Old 02-11-2009, 08:06 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I don't do aa either ananda, don't agree or disagree with it. To each their own in this fight for sobriety.

I'm also not a secular person, as you may know.... however, I value honest opinion and well thought out personal introspection....stuff like that, no matter if I agree or disagree with the belief system it comes from.

That's why I snuck on over here...what you folks say matters to me
Old 02-11-2009, 08:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I know you all think I fell into the abyss and have been ASSIMILATED!

Nah, I was away for a week visiting my daughter and her family in chilly Minneapolis.

Obviously, I haven't been to a meeting since but went last night (okay, do the big shudder now) and got a gentle ass chewing for not letting anyone know I was going to be out of town. It was kind of touching knowing that peeps care if you're there or not, godless heathen that I am and all.

Glad to see all secularists alive and thriving. Saw that Tomas aka Mr. Kon Tiki got everyone in a stir and has left the building. Talk about group conscience in action, wowza.

Hugs to everyone,

Donna
Old 02-11-2009, 12:05 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Welcome Massey

Hi Donna!! Glad you made it out of frozen MN.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Still here, still a druggie. Ha ha. Exams are coming up so I've been busy and not really checking in. Starting to realize maybe it's not such a bad thing if BF and I are friends and that's it... he's a wonderful person when he's clean but not a very good influence on me. Love him to death but I can't take the drug use.

Today I mark 6 weeks clean.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:24 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Hi Gneiss, good to hear from you. Congrats on the 6 weeks, sweetie.

Heard anything from those other schools yet?
Old 02-11-2009, 07:34 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Not yet, TSH. Probably March or so. I'm really excited. I didn't really realize I might be a little over-confident until last Friday I was talking to a friend and told him I expected my acceptance letters in March. He laughed at said "Well, nothing like a little confidence, eh? I vote Wyoming, but that's where I'm moving after I graduate so I might be biased." Ya know, for my first undergrad degree none of my friends expressed any opinion about my future plans. Now? All of them have an opinion, and they all seem to want me to choose the school to be closest to them. It feels amazing to feel like my friends actually want me to remain close to them, for the first time in my life really. It sort of makes me sad that I am leaving them behind.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:37 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

yeah...people come into our lives for a while and then they go...i just have to aprreciate them while they are here.

And amazingly enough some float in and out and in and out and they become very special...even if we don't talke for several years....when we do we connect again

(hug)

It is very hard to move...take care of yourself.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:59 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Never settle.

I'm sad about leaving my friends, but this town is my drug problem. It's too easy, too available, and I know too many people. It's a daily fight. I run into dealers/ people I have used with at the bank, the store, everywhere I go. I think moving somewhere else will be really nice in that regard.

My sister has been on a rampage. She has basically decided that the fact that I don't visit her and my parents means I don't like them and I don't want to be part of the family. Hate to tell her this, but it's kind of true. When I do go over there my dad watches TV, sister stays in her room, and mom is on the computer. No one talks to me. I can't figure out why she gets so out of shape about it. They make it clear no one wants to talk to me, so I don't bother. And then when I do go over there she gets all upset and yells at me and it makes me want to go buy some drugs so I quit going over there because at this point I can't deal with it. They have no idea about the drugs or my recovery. Argh.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:38 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Welcome, massey!

Hello, Donna! Gentle ass chewing? I don't know why but that phrase struck me funny this morning. I needed a laugh.

How's everyone doing?
Old 02-12-2009, 05:42 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by gneiss View Post
My sister has been on a rampage. She has basically decided that the fact that I don't visit her and my parents means I don't like them and I don't want to be part of the family. Hate to tell her this, but it's kind of true. When I do go over there my dad watches TV, sister stays in her room, and mom is on the computer. No one talks to me. I can't figure out why she gets so out of shape about it. They make it clear no one wants to talk to me, so I don't bother. And then when I do go over there she gets all upset and yells at me and it makes me want to go buy some drugs so I quit going over there because at this point I can't deal with it. They have no idea about the drugs or my recovery. Argh.

Is your sister okay? Maybe she has something going on right now and is taking it out on you? I don't know...I'm sorry, gneiss.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:59 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

sorry to read about the family stress Gneiss. I have a family member that sets off my urgings so before I visit I reopen my notebook of SMART tools and give my CBA on using a good hard look. I have even folded a copy up and put it in my purse to pull out if it gets too stressful.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:31 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Quick check in - Haven't been on this thread in a while.. but my path is about as secular as it goes and always feel comfort with all of you.. Lots of familiar friend here.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:04 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I'll do a quick check-in, too. Hi, y'all.

I've been feeling myself slipping down into a funk the past few days. My son's birthday was Tuesday and it was great, it really was. But I had A LOT to do to get ready for it, and he's had a REALLY busy week at school this week, so there's been a lot of unusual, time-consuming things happening. I'm starting to feel very overwhelmed by a lot of different things. And to top it off, my teenager is coming home with his schedule/registration for next year - he'll be in 10th grade - and now all I can think about is how fast time is going by and soon he'll be leaving home. It absolutely breaks my heart. I know it's a GOOD THING and I know that it's inevitable, and I also know that I still have 3 years left... I'm just getting a swift kick in the butt from reality and it's making me sad.

My emotions are all over the place. I've been thinking - and dreaming - about drinking lately. Not CRAVINGS per se, but nagging thoughts and desires. I got a fountain Diet Coke from Subway the other day and I SWEAR TO GOD it tasted like it had rum in it. It FREAKED ME OUT. So I'm an emotional basket case, my mind is playing tricks on me, and to top it off, things here have been out of control. I feel like I have no "safe place" right now and I don't like it.

Hubby is going to another Al-Anon meeting tonight. I have mixed feelings about it.

I submitted a request for info to SOS like... 10 days ago?... and still haven't gotten anything from them. Frustrating.

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble on so long.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:12 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard View Post
I got a fountain Diet Coke from Subway the other day and I SWEAR TO GOD it tasted like it had rum in it.

This may sound weird, but I had a similar experience the other day when I was eating a peach. It tasted like it fell into a bottle of whisky. I think that something about the way the peach tasted reminded me of it...this happens from time to time. Oh, well.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:28 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard View Post
I submitted a request for info to SOS like... 10 days ago?... and still haven't gotten anything from them. Frustrating.
Yeah, they never got back to me either, and I hear that there may be more meetings than the one that is listed on their website. LifeRing is much more organized and pro-active, part of why they broke way from SOS. BTW, I've decided to start my own meeting.