Blogs

Notices

Quotes

Old 03-30-2009, 10:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
☯ ⓌⒾⓁⓁ☯

What each must seek in his life never was on land or sea. It is something out of his own unique potentiality for experience, something that never has been and never could have been experienced by anyone else.
-Joseph Campbell

As we grow as unique persons, we learn to respect the uniqueness of others.
- Robert H. Schuller

Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.
-Sir Cecil Beaton
Old 03-30-2009, 11:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Never settle.

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone when you are uncool. --from the movie Almost Famous

'Sometimes you just need to jump and have faith that the net will appear.' And if it doesn't? Well, you'll face plant on rock bottom. But at least you'll know you didn't let fear overcome you. --My friend Jill

The most important scientific revolutions all include, as their only common feature, the dethronement of human arrogance from one pedestal after another of previous convictions about our centrality in the cosmos. --S.J. Gould

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds. --Bob Marley, Redemption Song

And just for fun:
What constitutes the essence, the nare, the principle of diddling is, in fact, peculiar to the class of creatures that wear coats and pantaloons. A crow thieves; a fox cheats; a weasel outwits; a man diddles. To diddle is his destiny. 'Man was made to mourn,' says the poet. But not so: --he was made to diddle. Edgar Allan Poe, Diddling

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, Zencat. I'd forgotten about it.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hands down, my absolute and favorite one:

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
—Krishnamurti
Old 03-30-2009, 05:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Then there is this, although not a quote:

She let go.

"She let go. Without a thought or a word, she let go.

She let go of the fear. She let go of the judgments. She let go of the confluence of opinions swarming around her head. She let go of the committee of indecision within her. She let go of all the 'right' reasons. Wholly and completely, without hesitation or worry, she just let go.
She didn't ask anyone for advice. She didn't read a book on how to let go... She didn't search the scriptures. She just let go. She let go of all of the memories that held her back. She let go of all of the anxiety that kept her from moving forward. She let go of the planning and all of the calculations about how to do it just right.

She didn't promise to let go. She didn't journal about it. She didn't write the projected date in her Day-Timer. She made no public announcement and put no ad in the paper. She didn't check the weather report or read her daily horoscope. She just let go.

She didn't analyze whether she should let go. She didn't call her friends to discuss the matter. She didn't do a five-step Spiritual Mind Treatment. She didn't call the prayer line. She didn't utter one word. She just let go.

No one was around when it happened. There was no applause or congratulations. No one thanked her or praised her. No one noticed a thing. Like a leaf falling from a tree, she just let go.
There was no effort. There was no struggle. It wasn't good and it wasn't bad. It was what it was, and it is just that.

In the space of letting go, she let it all be. A small smile came over her face. A light breeze blew through her. And the sun and the moon shone forevermore."
- Ernest Holmes
Ok, not a quote, but good nonetheless.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

And then this...just sharing the best of the best
It doesn't interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for, and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart's longing.

It doesn't interest me how old you are. I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for your dream, for the adventure of being alive.

It doesn't interest me what planets are squaring your moon. I want to know if you have touched the center of your own sorrow, if you have been opened by life's betrayals or have become shriveled and closed from fear of further pain!I want to know if you can sit with pain, mine or your own, without moving to hide it or fade it, or fix it.

I want to know if you can be with joy, mine or your own, if you can dance with wildness and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes without cautioning us to be careful, to be realistic, to remember the limitations of being human.

It doesn't interest me if the story you are telling me is true. I want to know if you can disappoint another to be true to yourself; if you can bear the accusation of betrayal and not betray your own soul; if you can be faithlessand therefore trustworthy.

I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.

I want to know if you can live with failure, yours and mine, and still stand on the edge of the lake and shout to the silver of the full moon, “Yes!”

It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up, after the night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done to feed the children.

It doesn't interest me who you know or how you came to be here. I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back.

It doesn't interest me where or what or with whom you have studied. I want to know what sustains you, from the inside, when all else falls away.

I want to know if you can be alone with yourself and if you truly like the company you keep in the empty moments.

by
Oriah Mountain Dreamer

Old 03-30-2009, 06:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

There is no spoon
The Following User Says Thank You to BP44 For This Useful Post:
Zencat (10-25-2013)
Old 03-30-2009, 06:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BP44 View Post
There is no spoon
What does this mean? However, you might be a right-winger. In which case I might have to remind you that I pay for benefits BY LAW. Honestly, I don't want to spin out, but I am at that point. LEGALLY, I can pay for benefits, per the LAW. And I PAY for them.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

My favorite quote of all time is by Oderus Urungus, lead singer for GWAR....

"We share a cheeseball, we just do it all"

Oderus, Gawd bless him.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:50 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Katie I like that.

It gave me an idea. I'm going to go through it as an exercise and think about each paragraph and write notes to myself for each. Yes, no, how, what examples, what does that mean to me, how might I change myself so that I become better. Set goals.....
Old 03-31-2009, 12:45 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gerryP View Post
Katie I like that.

It gave me an idea. I'm going to go through it as an exercise and think about each paragraph and write notes to myself for each. Yes, no, how, what examples, what does that mean to me, how might I change myself so that I become better. Set goals.....
Good I am glad that I shared something that touched you. There are parts of that that really make me think. I have so much work to do to become the best human being I can!

This morning I sent an email to this place to see if they can use my help volunteering. I did so last year for six months at this place and must say I truly felt blessed in meeting a couple of people who had nothing. I've learned the most from those who have the least.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

That's a great idea Katie.

Volunteering will not only enrich your life, but the lives of those people that you will meet.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:49 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post

I have so much work to do to become the best human being I can!

I've learned the most from those who have the least.
Just adding the above excerpts from Katie09 to the list of quotes that I like.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:19 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

WOW!!!! I quote " The Matrix" and I'm automatically and immediately, seemingly without provocation, labeled a right winger and given a lecture on the law and insurance benefits. How in the hell does that happen? I figured a thread on quotes would be a safe bet in the secular forum, but I guess not. I shudder to think what would have happened if I had quoted the Merovingian.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:23 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BP44 View Post
WOW!!!! I quote " The Matrix" and I'm automatically and immediately, seemingly without provocation, labeled a right winger and given a lecture on the law and insurance benefits. How in the hell does that happen? I figured a thread on quotes would be a safe bet in the secular forum, but I guess not. I shudder to think what would have happened if I had quoted the Merovingian.
Ah, sheesh. Why didn't you just say The Matrix? I took the red pill, although I do always get them mixed up. (you know Blue is democrat = good. Red is republican = bad) At any rate, I chose the reality pill. My apologies. That is a great film. I wish I had it and I'd watch it now. I tend to read meanings into things for which there are no meanings. Sorry!
Old 04-02-2009, 01:56 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Do the thing you fear to do and keep on doing it... that is the quickest and surest way ever yet discovered to conquer fear.
Dale Carnegie
Old 04-02-2009, 07:02 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." J. Krishnamurti
Old 04-02-2009, 07:16 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

"I hate everybody"

-GG Allin
Old 04-03-2009, 04:32 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
mergirl

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us."
Helen Keller

"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved."
Helen Keller

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."
Martin Luther King Jr
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
Martin Luther King Jr

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"It is better to travel well than to arrive."
Buddha

"As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world - that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
Mohandas Gandhi
Old 04-05-2009, 11:10 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everybody agrees that it is old enough to know better.
- Anonymous
The Following User Says Thank You to joinedintime For This Useful Post:
loveon2legs (11-09-2011)
Old 04-05-2009, 02:56 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Up from the ashes

It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently.

My idea of a group decision is to look in the mirror.

When the whorehouse burns down, even the pretty girls have to run out.

Warren Buffett

It is impossible to calculate the moral mischief, if I may so express it, that mental lying has produced in society. When a man has so far corrupted and prostituted the chastity of his mind as to subscribe his professional belief to things he does not believe he has prepared himself for the commission of every other crime.

Thomas Paine

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt

I don't know what weapons will be used to fight world war three, but world war four will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein

As a cure for worrying, work is far better than whiskey. I always found that, if I began to worry, the best thing I could do was focus upon doing something useful and then work very hard at it. Soon, I would forget what was troubling me.

Thomas Edison

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Calvin Coolidge

When the lion is chasing the antelope, he doesn't look back. He has to eat.

Robert Cheruiyot, winner of the 2007 Boston Marathon 2:14:13

Enjoy the validation and support from others when it comes to you, but do not expect it or be disappointed if it does not happen. It is your job to validate yourself.

Kevin Cashman

Be patient with yourself. Self-growth is tender; it's holy ground. There's no greater investment.

Stephen Covey