Just Curious...

Old 02-06-2009, 03:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Just Curious...

I was wondering...does anyone here find it any easier to stay sober from your choice of fun if you have to take medication that could possibly react in a bad way?

I'm on a beta blocker on a regular basis now...because of that, I think (or maybe I'm fooling myself) that it's easier for me to stay sober. It must be that fear thing....I'm very afraid that if I drink (and it would be a lot if I did) it would really screw up my blood pressure or heart rate in a dangerous way. I have it stuck in my head (I hope it stays stuck) that drinking is NOT an option while taking pills. After what happened in December....I don't think testing the............ah......"fates"........is the answer.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Bam

I think I know what you mean. I'm on antabuse, 2nd time around, and yes, it does make it easier for me to not drink. I take it willingly every morning and it has helped me tremendously in the past.

For some reason, I get to thinking that wow, I really cannot drink now. No sense fretting about, just get on with it. No more worries about parties(just can't drink), weekends(just can't drink) or coming up with a new excuse to phone in sick on Monday(hey, I didn't drink)

In a way, it really eases my anxiety level. Works well for me.

That being said, I also think it's very important as time goes by to develop new habits and learn new ways to occupy my time. The antabuse buys me this time to get myself together.

I have tried to abstain without antabuse and usually didn't last very long before I was right back to drinking out of control.

I'm not saying this med works for everyone, and definitely consult a doctor before trying this.

It's merely a tool, or a crutch to buy time till I finally realize that I cannot drink anymore. Abstaining means a lot of hard work, and I don't think it can ever be truly easy. Our health is so important, and any reason not to drink can help firm up our resolve.

One particular tool I really like from REBT is the CBA, or cost benefit analysis.

Using this, list a particular benefit or consequence(costs) of one's actions under four categories. For example:

1)Benefits of drinking

-I like the buzz
-Helps me relax socially

2) Consequences of drinking

-health concerns
-loss of job/spouse/self respect

3)Benefits of not drinking

-better health
-better personal achivement work/school/relationships

4)Consequences of not drinking

-feel left out socially
-how to occupy my down time and relax

It also helps to rate each point as minor or major and compare this to how you would prefer your lifestyle to be. Making a plan to deal with the major negatives is also helpful. An example, feeling left out socially. One can plan to change behaviour to turn this around, such as avoiding parties, or being sure to always have a non-alcohol drink at hand.

The CBA to me was very helpful, and the more personal it gets the better it works.

Anyway, good luck to you.

Keep well

Ron
Old 02-06-2009, 10:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Thanks, Mongo!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Bam, I've read this a couple of times now and I haven't responded only because I'm not sure I have anything helpful to say. I can certainly see your point, and part of me wants to say - whatever helps keep you sober. But I don't think you should use medicine as a crutch, at least not for too long. If it helps you get your brain used to the fact that you can't drink anymore, like Mongo said, then great. Just know that one day you'll be off the meds (hopefully!).

*hugs*

Edited to add: but absolutely it's great that you don't want to risk mixing booze and your meds! That's always risky, alcoholic or not. Better safe than sorry!!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard View Post
But I don't think you should use medicine as a crutch, at least not for too long. If it helps you get your brain used to the fact that you can't drink anymore, like Mongo said, then great. Just know that one day you'll be off the meds (hopefully!).

Yeah....

How many people get off of medication for high blood pressure?

Am I hopeless (I'm really fat and am still having trouble cutting out the sodium)?

I don't want to be on this for the rest of my life.

It's funny (off topic here as usual...)...I watch people come into the fast food restaurant in which I work...and a sizeable portion of them look like they probably have high blood pressure (big...they have trouble walking up to the counter...etc.)...yet they eat this food on a daily basis (and BIG portions). How do they do it? They have to be popping beta blockers...are they off-setting what they eat with the pills, thereby negating the effectiveness of the medication?

I'm only 28 years old! It's not like my pressure is sky high...but it's not good. I try to avoid fast food as much as possible (but I still eat some bad things that I can get at the grocery store...).

The food issue is by far worse than the alcohol problem. Maybe I should start hanging around more in the eating disorders section...I've been avoid it because I'm scared of becoming too overwhelmed between worrying about that and the alcohol.

I’m tackling the alcohol first because it’s been a problem for a shorter amount of time (plus the health concerns…although the food isn’t much better) and I honestly think that for me it’s going to be the easiest one to beat.

With alcohol, I simply don’t drink (and hang around SR all the time). I do not need alcohol to live.

With food………………I need food to live…….but not junk food to live…….and not many, many, many servings of food that’s good for me…………..I just don’t know what to do. It’s like I can’t stop eating once I start…it feels compulsive (though it’s probably not). ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, had to complain.

This is what lack of a proper sleep schedule produces...aimless rants from Bamboozle.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

You're absolutely not hopeless, Bam. Some people wind up being on blood pressure medicine for the rest of their lives. Others don't. If you can manage your problems through diet and exercise it's highly likely that you can come off the meds at that point. If you wind up having to take the pills for a long time, then so be it.

You're right that you need food to live, and you're also right that it doesn't have to be junk food. Actually, junk food can be just as harmful to your body as alcohol! Have you ever seen the movie Super Size Me? After only 30 days of eating nothing but McDonald's food, the doc told Morgan Spurlock that he had a fatty liver equivalent to what he is used to seeing in alcoholics after years and years of drinking.

I actually think Super Size Me should be required viewing for everyone over about age 8. Interesting reads are Fast Food Nation and Chew on This, too.

It's difficult to change eating habits, I know that. But it CAN be done.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I have Super Size Me and I've read through Fast Food Nation. I'm obsessed.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
sentient puddle

It's interesting, i can see how it (not drinking due to medication) might work, but it seems to me like fear based recovery, i'm not sure it's the best motivation for stopping, but of course i can only speak for myself. If it works and the person is happy with it then i guess that's up to them...

I'm not sure it necessarily always works as a deterrent- i remember George Best being on something that was supposed to stop him drinking, as it would be really painful if he drank - but he carried on drinking.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by spark42 View Post
but it seems to me like fear based recovery, i'm not sure it's the best motivation for stopping, but of course i can only speak for myself. If it works and the person is happy with it then i guess that's up to them...

It does work for me...at least when it comes to the topic of death. I am AFRAID to die. Always have been...can't change that...so I'm going to work with it.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Resident

I think being afraid to die would be a good thing.
Taking doctor prescribed meds to quit anything can't be bad either. If someone needs antidepressants for depression they should take them as they are really unrelated to the alcoholism.
I know people that had to take antabuse to initially stop drinking but no longer use it and have been sober without it for years.
The ends always justify the means.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sentient puddle

Yeah, i guess it's not that different from stopping drinking because because you don't want to lose your family / job / life etc.

I suppose what i mean is that somewhere along the way came the realisation that i am giving up drinking not just to avoid something, but in order to get something - a better, happier life.

For me it's a more positive way of looking at it, but that's just my opinion. Moving towards something good feels better than moving away from something bad to me!

But that's just me - i'm not judging anyone - if it works for you then i say good stuff.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i take antabuse each morning with the vitamins, had no cravings dont want to tempt fate, i cant see me ever stopping taking it, i cant be sure that in 1 month, 1 year, 1 decade i might not have that one crazy night where i drink so why risk it. Works for me. Apparently you can get an implant that lasts 6 months so the morning pill (still talking about antanbuse!) is not necessary.

I had a friend that was worried about the long term effects of the drug i just laughed, i'm an alcoholic recovering one day at a time, for the rest of my life, from an absolute living hell and at the end contemplated ending it all...wtf r u talking about buddy hehe

Take a pill, sing a little song, do a little dance, believe in pixies, just stay sober nothing can be more important than that surely?!
Old 02-07-2009, 05:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Resident

I suppose what i mean is that somewhere along the way came the realisation that i am giving up drinking not just to avoid something, but in order to get something - a better, happier life.

For me it's a more positive way of looking at it, but that's just my opinion. Moving towards something good feels better than moving away from something bad to me!
This is me too Spark but if something else works for somebody else that is cool too. And as you said getting there is more important than the way you get there.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I agree what ever works at first is helpful....I honestly have to say i haven't seen very many people stay sober long term on fear...I'm not being critical just saying what i've seen and expereinced.

Fear just won't keep me sober cause eventually for me the fear of life becomes greater than the fear of death. And regardless a life based on fear is what i am trying to get rid of.

It never occured to me not to drink on my blood preasure meds
Old 02-08-2009, 05:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Of course! I'm not always negative (although that's my natural disposition). I'm learning to be more positive. I do want a better quality of life because mine sucks right now.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Geez, guys...you're making me sound bad.

A little clarification here:

I don't live every waking moment in fear...it's not what motivates me to get up in the morning...it's not what makes me enjoy life...it's not what gets me through the day.

The medication is a little helper...not the end-all be-all route to maintaining sobriety...far from it.

I just don't want to make things worse than they are, that's all.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Bam...my words aren't functioning right today..just ignore me

You are a good egg and a positive one too
Old 02-08-2009, 06:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
You are a good egg and a positive one too

I'm full of cholesterol.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)