SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Anything goes secular spirituality thread (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/168311-anything-goes-secular-spirituality-thread.html)

Bamboozle 02-02-2009 04:27 PM

Anything goes secular spirituality thread

Wow...does that make any sense? Secular spirituality? I don't know... :) ANYWAYS...

Here it is: a place to speak about what spirituality means to you, if anything at all.

This can be in regards to recovery or day to day living.

Sometimes when I hear or see the word "spirit" I view it in a religious context. Other times it reminds me of a cheer: "We've got spirit, yes we do! We've got spirit...how ‘bout you?"

…anywho…

I used to be a Christian (if I have to go by a label now, I'll say I'm an agnostic atheist), and I was spiritual as a Christian, so I do have experience with spirituality (at least within the context of my experience of Christianity…and it is very difficult to explain what it felt like).

At the time, I believed it came from my belief in the divine--now, I think that it came from my mind....but what an amazing thing the mind is! There is a ton we don't know about the human brain...

Now.....I don't have the door completely shut to the possibility of spirituality--that’s the reason I started this thread. There are people here who are spiritual but DON'T believe in a personal god. I’m very interested in reading what these folks have to say, but everyone is welcome to comment, of course.

Have at it!

doorknob 02-02-2009 04:32 PM

Well... if there is some kind of supernatural realm or dimension, I ain't seen evidence of it. But, my gf makes me watch Ghost Hunters quite often... http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/sp...smiley-020.gif

Bamboozle 02-02-2009 04:38 PM

Ghost Hunters....what network is that on?

I like watching the UFO shows and whatnot on History and the Discovery Channel.

joinedintime 02-02-2009 04:38 PM

Bamboozle, are you familiar with the Law of Attraction?
Seems to be spiritual and secular at the same time.
That's what I have off the top of head for the moment. I'm leaving that other stuff at the bottom of my head alone for now!

Bamboozle 02-02-2009 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by joinedintime (Post 2090732)
Bamboozle, are you familiar with the Law of Attraction?

Why doesn't that work for money? ;)

Wait a minute....it does, but always in a negative sense. Argh!!!!!!

Bamboozle 02-02-2009 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by joinedintime (Post 2090732)
That's what I have off the top of head for the moment. I'm leaving that other stuff at the bottom of my head alone for now!

Anytime you want to say more, go ahead. I love this subject...I don't know why.

:wavey:

doorknob 02-02-2009 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bamboozle (Post 2090730)
Ghost Hunters....what network is that on?

We watch it on Hulu.com. We don't have cable, so the computer is our television.

spark42 02-02-2009 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by doorknob (Post 2090724)
Well... if there is some kind of supernatural realm or dimension, I ain't seen evidence of it.

almost word for word a han solo quote...:c029:

to me, spirituality is kinda opposite to selfishness. Everyone i know who's on a spiritual journey, either through a religion or not, is sort of seeking a similar thing. Getting away from selfishness and greed, going towards generosity and kindness.

I sort of look at my recovery as part of a spiritual journey too - although i don't attach anything supernatural to it. A rational spiritual journey perhaps!

There is some really interesting stuff that goes on in meditation for example. I don't doubt that there is a rational explanation for it, something to do with blurring the subject / object duality, it encourages this feeling of one-ness with everything, quite amazing really.

I don't think understanding something, or believing that there is a rational explanation for it. takes anything away from it.

spark42 02-02-2009 05:18 PM

Also, i thoroughly recommend "the end of faith" by sam harris... Although the bit where he seems to condone torture makes me uncomfortable, it's still a very good book - but the idea of rational / atheist spirituality made me think of the last couple of chapters - chapter 6 "a science of good and evil", and chapter 7 "experiments in consciousness". :)

doorknob 02-02-2009 05:25 PM

I'm a huge hip hop head, and I went nutz when I first heard this dude...

Greydon Square - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can hear a lot of his music on his MySpace page.

spark42 02-02-2009 05:30 PM

Looks really interesting mate, i'm keen to hear his stuff - in town tomorrow, so will have a look for some cd's...

Richard Dawkins is a fan? Just can't imagine him playing hip hop! :eek:

Bamboozle 02-03-2009 01:36 AM

I just spent almost 2 hours watching a debate on the existance of god...I found it based upon your link, DK. I can't go to sleep.

Bamboozle 02-03-2009 01:42 AM

Geez...now I'm gonna have to find his album. I can listen to that.

Bamboozle 02-03-2009 02:44 AM

I need to sleep...

stone 02-03-2009 02:49 AM

Go to bed Bam! http://i40.tinypic.com/24pf67o.jpg

:)

Fubarcdn 02-03-2009 06:08 AM

I am an atheist and believe when you are dead you are dead.
I really like Spark's take on this. Spirituality is a quest to be a better person. By being a better person you connect, in small ways, to other humans or animals and that enhances your sense of well being.
By working towards being more selfless than selfish one can experience that connectivity and thus become more at peade with the world.
Thanks for helping me clarify things for myself Spark.
I am not a deep thinker. I prefer to keep things light and amusing.

windysan 02-03-2009 06:54 AM

?

I like turtles.

http://www.horribledeath.com/slobble...iketurtles.JPG

Bamboozle 02-03-2009 07:18 AM

Windy...did you draw that? :lmao

windysan 02-03-2009 09:18 AM

Nope, I'm not a good drawer. I do have clean drawers though.

PaperDolls 02-03-2009 09:28 AM

I have a problem. I can't define what spirituality means to me.

Spirituality: This term is defined quite differently by monotheists, polytheists, humanists, followers of new age, Native Americans, etc. A common meaning is "devotion to metaphysical matters, as opposed to worldly things." Another is "Activities which renew, lift up, comfort, heal and inspire both ourselves and those with whom we interact."

"Being spiritual" may aim towards:

* simultaneously improving one's wisdom and willpower.
* achieving a closer connection to Deity.
* developing a connection between one's self and the natural world
* removing illusions or "false ideas" at the sensory, feeling and thinking aspects of a person.

I like all of these but I like this one from Wikipedia the most.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Secular spirituality as a cultural phenomenon refers to the adherence to a spiritual ideology without the advocation of a religious framework. Secular spirituality in principle might embrace many of the the same types of practices as religious spirituality, but the motivation is different. Clearly, since belief and dogma are absent, the emphasis is likely to be on practice rather than belief and on the inner peace of the individual rather than on a relationship with the divine. Proponents make a case for a form of secular spirituality in which the motivation is simply to live happily, which demonstrates how such a motivation can lead to a spiritual life based on the development of qualities very like those prized by many religions.
Either way, I still can't put it into words. Ug!