Anything goes secular spirituality thread

Old 02-08-2009, 01:55 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I have to admit I have always hated the word spirituality, not because of what it means (whatever that is, did we decide?lol) but because of the way it is used.

When someone says I am a spiritual person I generally assume they mean they own lots of crystals, that is wrong of me I know and a gross generalisation.

However you define the word it is often used by individuals to let you know they are deep and intuitive and whatever, not like one of those silly scientists with their reliance on facts.

Im feeling pretty negative about everything at the moment so sorry if this sounds a bit spiteful.

Last edited by allport; 02-08-2009 at 01:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-08-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by allport View Post
sorry if this sounds a bit spiteful.

This is the "anything goes" thread. I do enjoy hearing so many different opinions and experiences.

It's fine by me.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:02 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

:ghug spite away ally! we can take it (grin)

yeah i get that...spiriutal often means "new age spirtual" and i don't care for that myself...it seems pretty ritualiztic and magic most of the time...though i'm sure not always (tenderly treads around the edges of a cliff) lol
Old 02-08-2009, 02:26 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

However you define the word it is often used by individuals to let you know they are deep and intuitive and whatever, not like one of those silly scientists with their reliance on facts.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:19 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by allport View Post
I have to admit I have always hated the word spirituality, not because of what it means (whatever that is, did we decide?lol) but because of the way it is used.

When someone says I am a spiritual person I generally assume they mean they own lots of crystals, that is wrong of me I know and a gross generalisation.

Im feeling pretty negative about everything at the moment so sorry if this sounds a bit spiteful.
The ones that really, really get on my nerves are the White Indians. You know, white folks who have embraced Native American culture to the point where it's kinda goofy. Sweat lodges, sage burning....oh man....don't get me started. LOL
Old 02-09-2009, 06:27 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
sentient puddle

From sam harris' "the end of faith", ch.7:

"it is difficult to find a word for that human enterprise which aims at happiness directly - at happiness of a sort which can survive the frustration of all conventional desires. The term "spirituality" seems unavoidable here, but it has many connotations that are, frankly, embarrassing. "Mysticism" has more gravitas, perhaps, but it has unfortunate associations of its own.
Our spiritual traditions suggest that we have considerable room here to change our relationship to the contents of consciousness, and thereby to transform our experience of the world. It is also clear that nothing need be believed on insufficient evidence for us to look into this possibility with an open mind.
Such an enterprise becomes irrational only when people begin making claims about the world which cannot be supported by empirical evidence.
There is clearly no greater obstacle to a truly empirical approach to spiritual experience than our current beliefs about god."
Old 02-09-2009, 07:02 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I think i would take it a step further...the "provable" knowledge must also match up with our own expereince of the world..reliance on other's experience is ok to get started..but if our own doesn't back it up we need to let it go
Old 02-09-2009, 01:33 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

LOL white indians, if you weren't already married Windy I would!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 01:36 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

and don't get me started on white rastas. oh my lawdy.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:55 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Zencat, first I've heard of Rogers, but I like what you quoted.

Kinda dovetails with what I've been reading on the Law of Attraction in a way. The too concepts don't contradict, that's for sure. Currently reading one of the, if not THE, founding book on the topic. Thought Vibration or the Law of Attraction in the Thought World. Written by William Walker Atkinson in 1908. It's out of copyright and available via Google Books free.

Don't go off on me Windy, it's not American Indian or Rasta. But if you do at least find a picture of a cutie like you did for Rasta. Funny how we're hard wired to forgive almost anything to a cute girl. It's not fair. In the long term it's not even fair to cute girls. But I digress. That's a whole different law of attraction.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:33 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
sentient puddle

Heh! I was bigtime into the 90's rave scene, there were dreadlocks everywhere!

It's true that too often "spiritual" ends up with someone banging on about crystal skulls / colonic irrigation / ufo's...
Old 02-09-2009, 03:48 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
and don't get me started on white rastas. oh my lawdy.

The solution:

Old 02-09-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Resident

I have been following this thread with intrest as I am considering some kind of secular step program. Considering that some of us at some time considered that spirituality was becoming a better, selfless, caring person. If I do get around to doing the step thing perhaps my HP will be the person that I want to become. any thoughts?
Old 02-09-2009, 04:37 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
sentient puddle

An aa-er would probably go mental at you for trying to be god or be self willed or something...!

I look at it this way - my ex-sponsor had me doing this thing of trying to get in touch with my HP - in any tricky situation, stop, pause, and ask for guidance - and an answer comes.

And it does work!

However i'm a rationalist and an atheist, and i am fairly sure that it isn't god talking to me... I know it's me... I think basically what's going on there is bypassing your id, or instinct, and listening to your conscience...

Another example is the HP of the angel on the shoulder and the devil on the other. I often felt like that was going on. I know it wasn't really an angel and a devil, but different parts of my consciousness. But it's tuning in to the right part and listening to and following that.

It doesn't mean it's completely all you, or you're doing it alone, because part of what informs and guides your conscience is the wisdom of everyone you've ever known, everything you've read or learned, etc etc.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:39 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn View Post
... my HP will be the person that I want to become.....
Thanks. I like that.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:43 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

It's just not me...

Old 02-09-2009, 09:05 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

LOL@colonic irrigation.

The girl is cute. I'd forgive her for the dumb hairdo. I'm cool like that yo.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:55 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Windy, you're pretty good with graphic design. Just for grins let's ....in a spiritual kind of way of course ...see if you can show us what your avatar looks like with dreads.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:53 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by joinedintime View Post
Just for grins let's ....in a spiritual kind of way of course ...see if you can show us what your avatar looks like with dreads.

I second that.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:43 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

When I say I'm spiritual, not religious, people think I'm like, a witch or something?!

I wish I had dreads. So practical.