SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Ahh...safe! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/168295-ahh-safe.html)

Bamboozle 02-08-2009 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn (Post 2098259)
This really upset me. You mean Elvis is dead?:wtf2

I'm sorry I offended you...but you have to let him go. :sadwavey:

windysan 02-08-2009 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by doorknob (Post 2098302)
:lmao

What are his terms?

I haven't gotten that far yet. I gotta go read the cereal box again. :c011:

spark42 02-08-2009 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by ananda (Post 2098824)
my point is that you are all very intelictual and many people don't use these words correctly....
still...if X IS an apple, you are, your perception is just out of wack :)
My point....this of course helps me to understand how you use the word...but dictinaries don't mean crp...."they" is a big group with a lot of differnt udnerstandings of words....

hmm... if someone is critical of "organised belief in deities and the supernatural with all attendant dogma and reliance upon a holy book" or some other such description of religion, they could refer to it in that way, to avoid confusion, but if they want to be more efficient, they would call that "religion"...

It doesn't mean they're talking about your definition of religion... I could say that i define religion as "enjoying a cup of tea" but if someone says something negative about religion that doesn't mean they are criticising tea drinkers...

What a word means is important otherwise everyone gets confused (as i am now!) :)

Bamboozle 02-08-2009 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by spark42 (Post 2099100)

What a word means is important otherwise everyone gets confused (as i am now!) :)

Yeah, I think defining terms and agreeing upon a definition is essential. That's why I'm all confused about the spirituality thing...

spark42 02-08-2009 09:26 AM

Also, in the context of this thread, i feel we can safely discuss our sobriety and our secular rational approach to it without being told that atheism is an obstacle to sobriety, or that if you don't believe in the supernatural then you're not welcome... We can chat and debate stuff without it meaning we're full of resentment or don't have an open mind...

Just as if someone is religious or believes in god they wouldn't be told to go away, i'm sure they'd be welcomed, just that they should be prepared for the fact that people may well disagree with their view of the universe...

We're not all of one mind and we may disagree about stuff and debate it, but that to me is interesting and a good thing!

Fubarcdn 02-08-2009 09:32 AM

Exactly Spark.
The phrase non judgmental comes to mind.
We can debate and converse and agree to disagree without judging each other. That is what makes our little corner of this world so appealing to me.

Ananda 02-08-2009 11:33 AM

I feel safe here......(runs to hide from rotten eggs being tossed in her direction)

:lmao

love you guys :ghug

spark42 02-08-2009 12:32 PM

Right back at ya nands!:ghug3

Bamboozle 02-08-2009 01:08 PM

I like it here, too.

It's nice that things have been picking up around here recently.

Dee74 02-08-2009 01:13 PM

I'm 'religious' for want of a better term...:yikes:

but my recovery's not - I believe it's up to me :)

I feel happy here - mostly because the discourse is more often than not intelligent, reasonable and tolerant...it's a great forum :)

D