SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Ahh...safe! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/168295-ahh-safe.html)

Dee74 02-03-2009 04:08 AM

^ :eek13:

D

windysan 02-03-2009 06:52 AM

Spirituality is not for dumb@sses like me. :c009:

Bamboozle 02-07-2009 02:40 PM

I have to get this out after I read something that upset me:

It does not take any amount of "faith" to be agnostic or atheist. Agnostics and atheists rely upon concrete proof for their beliefs or lack of belief in fill-in-the-blank.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Thinking that invisible unicorns and little leprechauns in the 3rd dimension do not exist and that Elvis is dead is not predicated upon faith, but instead upon the presence or absence of observable and testable evidence.

Why are we so misunderstood?

There....maybe I can feel better now and move on. Peace.

doorknob 02-07-2009 02:57 PM

I hear ya, Bam. I only believe in one less god than they do...

Dee74 02-07-2009 03:02 PM

Hope it was nothing I wrote elsewhere that upset you Bam.

My journey is my own - but I try very hard not to impede anyone else's, whatever that may be :)

D

spark42 02-07-2009 03:12 PM

"calling atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair colour." - don hirschberg

"to say that atheism requires faith is as dim-witted as saying that disbelief in fairies or leprechauns takes faith. Even if einstein himself told me there was an elf on my shoulder, i would still ask for proof, and i wouldn't be wrong to ask." - geoff mather

"he that will not reason is a bigot; he that cannot reason is a fool; he that dare not reason is a slave." - william drummond

"atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make when in the presence of religious dogma." - sam harris

Bamboozle 02-07-2009 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 2098176)
Hope it was nothing I wrote elsewhere that upset you Bam.

My journey is my own - but I try very hard not to impede anyone else's, whatever that may be :)

D

Oh, no, Dee. Not you....not even close. :)

I'm trying to let it go now.

Bamboozle 02-07-2009 03:29 PM

Thanks, spark. I needed the chuckle. :)

Dee74 02-07-2009 03:31 PM

good LOL :)

D

Fubarcdn 02-07-2009 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bamboozle (Post 2098149)
I have to get this out after I read something that upset me:

It does not take any amount of "faith" to be agnostic or atheist. Agnostics and atheists rely upon concrete proof for their beliefs or lack of belief in fill-in-the-blank.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Thinking that invisible unicorns and little leprechauns in the 3rd dimension do not exist and that Elvis is dead is not predicated upon faith, but instead upon the presence or absence of observable and testable evidence.

Why are we so misunderstood?

There....maybe I can feel better now and move on. Peace.

This really upset me. You mean Elvis is dead?:wtf2

spark42 02-07-2009 04:23 PM

I've noticed that any mention of atheism gets people directed here quite often - does that happen a lot? There seems to be a bit of religious self-defence that kicks in any time someone mentions that they don't believe in god...

I really am glad this sub-forum is here anyway! :)

I do find it odd that atheists are accused by the religious of not having an open mind... The scientific position of scepticism is truly open minded. I'm open to the possibility that my view of the universe is wrong, and if evidence contradicted it i'd concede i was wrong.

The religious however will not change their beliefs no matter how much evidence contradicts them - surely that's not very open minded?

Evidence and reason help us get to the truth - religious dogma and faith are contrary to that imho...

Not believing in god isn't a faith position. It's not that i "believe" there is no god. It's just that i "don't believe" there is one. It's a lack of a belief. If that makes sense! No faith required!

windysan 02-07-2009 04:28 PM

Shame on you, Bamboozle !! Instead of living life on your own terms you should be living life on the Lucky Charms Leprechaun's terms.

http://www.grudge-match.com/Images/lucky.gif

They're magically delicious !!

TryingSoHard 02-07-2009 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn (Post 2098259)
This really upset me. You mean Elvis is dead?:wtf2

Tell that to all the Elvis impersonators walking around!

doorknob 02-07-2009 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by windysan (Post 2098266)
Shame on you, Bamboozle !! Instead of living life on your own terms you should be living life on the Lucky Charms Leprechaun's terms.

http://www.grudge-match.com/Images/lucky.gif

They're magically delicious !!

:lmao

What are his terms?

Ananda 02-07-2009 08:29 PM

OK sparkey..you asked for it :P

I have to say that my religion doesn't require I believe in anything but my own reason and expereince. Religion doesn't HAVE to be the way people often portray it...and words are just words ...the expereince is what maters and we each have to have our own experiences and logic our own way through it.

Not to throw a wrench in the works here, but just cause i have always felt i am welcome in secular despite my "religious" beliefs
:ghug

doorknob 02-07-2009 08:35 PM

Personally, I don't consider Eastern philosophy to be religion. Religion, to me (and in cultural anthropolgy), is "belief in the supernatural".

Ananda 02-07-2009 09:39 PM

aw dk...i think we have disucssed this before haven't we...i don't care what the "dictiionary" definition is...its what we mean that matters.

If I call X an apple and you call X a bannana....it's still X

(I hate bananas by the way)

spark42 02-08-2009 03:29 AM

Ah yes but if i criticise X, and i mean bananas, that doesn't mean i'm criticising apples...

So when i speak of religion and faith i specifically mean belief without evidence in the supernatural...

A rational secular approach to spirituality is a different thing imho... If you choose to call that religion then you must know that when people criticise religion they are talking about something else...

Ananda 02-08-2009 04:02 AM

my point is that you are all very intelictual and many people don't use these words correctly....

Ah yes but if i criticise X, and i mean bananas, that doesn't mean i'm criticising apples...
still...if X IS an apple, you are, your perception is just out of wack :)

So when i speak of religion and faith i specifically mean belief without evidence in the supernatural...

A rational secular approach to spirituality is a different thing imho... If you choose to call that religion then you must know that when people criticise religion they are talking about something else
My point....this of course helps me to understand how you use the word...but dictinaries don't mean crp...."they" is a big group with a lot of differnt udnerstandings of words....

:ghug2

Bamboozle 02-08-2009 05:22 AM

All this talk of fruit is making me hungry.