My theory....what do you think? Opinions needed

Old 05-09-2012, 03:35 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Just read this through. Well done Brae! I actually noticed a difference in your language as time went on. Sounds like you have it together now. I sometimes wonder if I'll be able to have a bong or a joint 'recreationally'. It's been almost 3 years since I last 'indulged' (or overindulged). The thought doesn't last long. I might be going through a rough patch from time to time, but to do that would mean the insanity would come crashing in. Life has it's difficult moments but I don't need to make it worse.

Good for you!
Old 05-19-2012, 02:17 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

In my case I chose to pick up that first drink and I chose to stop at 3-4. It was all a choice! That is why the belief in powerlessness doesn't work for me. If the 'goal' of powerlessness is to teach people to have humility, then choose another belief than powerlessness...choose humility, or less ego or something else. But to say I'm powerless just fed into my already feeling of helplessness. It would just make me feel more stuck. But if people need to feel helpless to get help then whatever works do it.

My drinking has been a strange pattern which has made me wonder if I'm an 'alcoholic'. It was everyday at its 3-4/day. I always stop at 4 max because I just get tired and want to go to sleep. I would never black out, throw up or feel like having one when I woke up in the morning.

I didn't start drinking a bit more regularly until my late 20s. I'm 44 now. It was slow to the point of starting to drink daily after work. And instead of it being progressive, I actually cut BACK about 4 years ago and drink LESS than I did then which was more like 5-6/night and a stronger alcohol 7% vs 5%. Never had blackouts, threw up, lost a job, DUI or any major consequence, but a slow eroding of my self esteem and fully using my gifts/strengths to contribute to the world. I've been playing small.

So what to make of that. Yes, I've used alcohol to self medicate (moods/emotions) but that is different than 'alcoholism' perhaps? Can anyone clarify? Why its important is that I understand there are different approaches to addressing depending if someone is an alcoholic or not. My hunch is that I should address the how to more healthily address moods/emotional life as the core. I know I just want a healthier alternative to drinking to relax, feel better at the end of the day.

Thoughts? Advice?
Thanks!
Old 05-19-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I writing the first time here. I have quit drinkinking beer probably 50xs. I blackout when I drink too much beer or whatever, jails, mental hospitals um wakeups in alleys jails and hospitals again. Im 38 years old and Beer has proven I cant ever drink it safely again becauze it changes my thinkinking pattern then I crave it and Bam instant blackouts wrecked cars, DUI X 3 GOTT OUT OF 3 MORE BY RUNNING ON FOOT. ASSAULT CHARGES
= FELONIES DRUNK IN PUBLICS JUST GOT ANOTHER ONE 4 DAYS AGO WITH A BATTERY CHARGE. I dont want to add on to my story so just dont take the first drink and U cant get drunk, blackout thanks for being here
Old 05-19-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by chalaido
I've been playing small.
I love this. Great way to say it.

Why its important is that I understand there are different approaches to addressing depending if someone is an alcoholic or not.
"Alcoholic" or not, the only way for one to not be dependent on alcohol, or to ensure that alcohol won't cause problems is to not drink it. Abstinence. Anything less means there's a possibility. Some people are willing to take that gamble, some aren't.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Edward73

D
Old 05-19-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Welcome to Secular Connections Edward.

Chakaido, for me, I can't take the first drink. I don't want to take that risk of being dependent on alcohol.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Chakaido View Post
Why its important is that I understand there are different approaches to addressing depending if someone is an alcoholic or not.
It is not important.

A well rounded treatment approach will include all facets of alcohol addiction, from the worst to the least of cases.

A more black and white thinking way to treat alcohol addiction will invent a diagnosis to fit the the recovery plan. You either fit the criterion (alcoholic) or not (hard drinker), no shades of grey.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:25 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I'm thinking that IF drinking or any other addiction (e.g. ice cream, shopping, gambling) is a symptom, then the key lies in addressing the underlying issues for that particular person.

I'm trying to discover what direction the underlying issues might be so I can get support for that specifically. Just showing up at group meetings and hearing stories about others experience isn't enough. Professional support is needed and you don't get that going to 80 meetings in 80 days (for example). So I'm still prone to look for 1-1 support as the answer vs. just group meetings.