Spectacular Connections Check-in Part II

Old 02-05-2009, 06:08 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Thanks Furb for finding that post that DK asked about. I was off line for hours and missed the discussion.

My feelings about life and afterlife are much like yours Spark - I think we have to live it while we are here, love the people we can, do the best we can.. Maybe parts of us live on in others - or the stuff we leave behind (work, gardens, friends).. Hope your mom is OK.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:16 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hey, spark.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Hi y'all.

Well, hubby went to an Al-Anon meeting last night. For those of you who haven't heard this before, he's been VERY vocal in the past that he had no interest in going because of the 12 steps and the religious overtones. HE was the one who originally brought up going, then when I said I thought it was a good idea and would help him, he backed off and started criticizing it (without even really know what he was talking about). So, while I was encouraged that he was going, I was scared that he already had his mind made up to hate it and wouldn't give it a fair shot. He actually wound up going to the Al-Anon meeting that is part of/associated with the same AA group I used to go to.

Long story short, he didn't love it but didn't hate it and says he will go back. He said the people were VERY friendly and welcoming. He also mentioned that the one thing he got out of it more than anything else last night was a sense that he was very fortunate because what he was going through was nowhere near as bad as what the rest of the people there seem to be going through. It made him feel grateful that things for us didn't get as bad as they apparently could have.

This is all a good thing, right?
Old 02-06-2009, 07:22 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  
Resident

It is great that he is trying real hard to support you TSH. It is a good thing that the meeting went OK for him and he is willing to go back. He must really love you to do that. You are lucky to have him.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

TSH - sure sounds OK - good actually.

I had a past life in Alanon (adult children stuff but went to lots of meeting that were not just adult child meetings). I found it really different than AA mainly because it really did support the idea of "take what you like and leave the rest".. Some of the people were really "work the steps" people but others were really "leaving" a lot of what they did not like from 12-step and taking the support and commonality.

You and your husband sound like you are on this journey together. It sure sounds good - not easy but good.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

THC

Anthing that helps him cope with the changes is good
Old 02-06-2009, 10:52 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  
sentient puddle

I agree, i think it's a good thing your hubby is giving it a try TSH, if it gets all religious or full of dogma he can always change his mind... I think those close to us need support sometimes as it's difficult for them too. Plus it helps give them an understanding of what the problem is.

My mum came to an aa meeting with me once and found it very helpful.

On that note, mum's home today, they found no damage so have adjusted the medication slightly. It's a huge relief that it wasn't as serious as we all thought it might be - thanks for all your support. It really helped being able to share my thoughts with you all.

And i didn't drink on it - hurrah!
Old 02-06-2009, 02:07 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Sparkey!!!! I was just thinking of you..thx for letting us know.

the sold house is closed..now 2 weeks of peace before the next closing...god am i glad ... 1/2 way through

thx for the support

:ghug
Old 02-06-2009, 04:10 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I actually went and did gymnastics last night and my moobs hurt... plus I took a bunch of caffeine to motivate myself to make that long drive and didn't really sleep last night, and the only food I had yesterday was Doritos. I finally ate and took a little nap today. Still beat though...
Old 02-06-2009, 06:45 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  
lunarlovelunar

Just saying hello..catching up on the thread...you guys are insightful...give yourselves a pat on the back! (ok corny yea but I mean it) Things here are well, went to counseling for the first time since getting sober today and cried my little eyes out. Boy I didn't know all those emotions were in there...NOT. Anywho, another day gone by another chocolate bar eaten...I guess Im all right...
Old 02-06-2009, 08:30 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

DK...sounds like a very dangerous combination.....maybe a healthier diet would be better....just sayin
Old 02-07-2009, 10:18 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  
Resident

Good day all. I had McDonalds for breakfast and am having Eggs Benedict for lunch. That is about a million calories. I may have a healthy dinner but probably not. Those Doritos sound good.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:37 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I haven't been as out of control on the calories as I was about a week ago...so that's good....but my sodium intake is ridiculous.

I just spent over an hour in the grocery store scrutinizing labels in an attempt to find the lowest sodium items I can. I bought some Hunt's ketchup without sodium and it tastes metalic...but mixing in some Mrs. Dash improves the flavor (I can't give up condiments yet ).

I think I did pretty well...I bought some fresh fruit and some other non-processed/minimally processed things...I even found some peanut butter that has only 30mg of sodium per normal serving (and it tastes good...even though it's a little gritty...but that's okay).

I'll just have to keep tracking and see if what I bought helps to lower my intake.

Last edited by Bamboozle; 02-07-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:49 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Oh no - salt monitoring! I am a salt maniac (love it).

Doing pretty good and really good to have a secular spot in SR. I feel relief and acceptance here.. Thanks for that all of you!
Old 02-07-2009, 01:00 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Diets stink and so do Saturdays.

Can you tell I'm having a miserable day!!!

Laying in bed now watching a lovey David Attenborough documentary about Darwin, cheering me up a bit but I am so fed up at the moment and it doesnt seem to be going away.

Fortunately I don't feel like drinking but I don't feel like doing anything else either.

Just a quick whine, I might do a bit of primal screaming to get it out of my system.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:03 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by KindBird View Post
I am a salt maniac (love it).

So do I.

I'll miss you, Claussen pickles.

I'll miss you, Salt 'n Vineagar Kettle chips.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:24 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  
sentient puddle

Originally Posted by allport View Post
Diets stink and so do Saturdays.

Can you tell I'm having a miserable day!!!

Laying in bed now watching a lovey David Attenborough documentary about Darwin, cheering me up a bit but I am so fed up at the moment and it doesnt seem to be going away.

Fortunately I don't feel like drinking but I don't feel like doing anything else either.

Just a quick whine, I might do a bit of primal screaming to get it out of my system.
that's a great documentary. Attenborough is such a great presenter. There's gonna be loads of Darwin stuff on, with it being 200 years since he was born. Such a simple theory, yet it explains so much - amazing man!
Old 02-07-2009, 03:14 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Bam, Mrs. Dash is great. I believe it has NO sodium and adds lots of flavor. See, too, if you can find a grinder that has black pepper and garlic. The salt & garlic ones are very common but there are some pepper & garlic ones out there and those are really good to use, too.

Yep, get used to reading those labels. Good girl.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:33 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by KindBird View Post
Oh no - salt monitoring! I am a salt maniac (love it).

Doing pretty good and really good to have a secular spot in SR. I feel relief and acceptance here.. Thanks for that all of you!
Salt is killing me. I love it. Capers, pickled anything, olives, salty cheese. I love it too.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:33 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

just checking in

hope to get here more next week ending up with loads of time since i'm in a hotel with nothing to do all night...course i have to comute a ways to work and home...but all in all i think this will be a nice change for me.