Old 02-03-2009, 12:08 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Thanks, Donna.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

:ghug3

Congrats on the sober days, Congrats on the good experience with the doc, just CONGRATS all around.

Changing your diet is hard. I know, I've attempted it. I say "attempted" instead of "done" because I stuck with it for about a year or a year and a half and then slowly started slipping back into my old bad habits. I'll be happy to give you suggestions for things that worked for me and helped me. Food is a VERY important part of my life and I enjoy it immensely, so I take it very personally when I have to try to change that aspect of my life.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:50 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Sure, TSH. Anything you got.

Right now I'm busy eating breath mints. It's part of my new strategy, but I keep chomping them down. If I end up going through a couple of packs a day that's going to defeat the purpose of using them.

My diet was very good this time last year...I need to slide back into it. Once I'm on it for a month...I'm okay....as long as I don't slip into the fat/salt/sugar crack.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:50 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

How's everyone doing tonight/today?

Old 02-03-2009, 03:39 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Im in a really horribly bad mood, a shouting at the tv and hating kittens kind of mood, but i'll get over it.

Glad to hear about your cool doctor Bam, its time someone took your worries seriously although I dont envy your new diet. :ghug3
Old 02-03-2009, 07:20 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I'm in a really, really bad mood. Not like angry and grumpy, but like heartbroken and depressed. I've been crying for pretty much 2 days straight now. I can't take much more of this.

Bam, I highly recommend that you go to Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople and sign up. Whether or not you're interested in tracking calories, you can get A TON of nutritional information and food suggestions from that site. Also, you can customize your setup so that it tracks things like salt for you (it automatically tracks calories, protein, carbs, and fat). It REALLY helps you get a handle on exactly what you're putting in your body - as long as you log on daily and input what you ate. Didn't take me long to get used to doing that, though.

Secondly, buy a kitchen scale. Doesn't have to be the fanciest or most expensive, but it does have to be accurate. Preferably it will measure in grams AND ounces. MEASURE ALL OF YOUR FOOD. Every bit, at least for a while, until you learn what a true portion size is. I was SHOCKED.

Thirdly, two different personal trainers both told me this: don't eat 3 meals a day. Eat 4 - 6 smaller ones. They told me I should be eating approximately every 3 hours, approximately 300 - 350 calories each time. Oh, and they said I shouldn't eat after 8 p.m.

I know this stuff isn't geared toward cutting out sweets and junk, but if you're tracking what you eat sometimes it's a huge eye-opener and you start to WANT to cut back on the bad stuff all on your own. And it's incredibly useful to have your protein/carbs/fat/salt tracked for you.

Good luck! If I think of anything else I'll let you know.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:24 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Thanks, TSH...just registered.

Lets hope I stick with it and go to the site and hold myself accountable (even if I completely bomb my diet on occasion). I don't really have an excuse if I don't....I mean, I go to SR everyday.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:57 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Wow...there's a lot on this site...I'm going to have to take some more time to look at it after work.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:46 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Yeah, it's an awesome site. I can't believe it's free. You can track your exercise there, too, and get an idea of how many calories you're burning. And the groups... don't even get me started on the groups. LOL Lots of recipes and very helpful articles as well.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:59 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  
Resident

Good morning all.
I was just having a little fun on the outgrowing AA thread. It is amazing how many fanatical visitors we get when they see the AA word. It pisses me off that a lot of them, even though they will never admit it, wish that secular people will fail so they can keep living safely in their world believing that nothing else can work.I want to clarify that this isn't all of them and maybe not even most of them but it only takes a few of them for me to not want to have to deal with any of them. I hope that makes sense. Anyways that is my secular whine for the day. Off to the gym and will check in when I get back.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:04 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

DANG!!!!!! i get busy for the past few days and look how this section bloosoms!!!!!

Maybe i should stay away (LOL)

still no time to catch up... ticks me off...but GOOD NEWS....

I move to the hotel tonight and then I will have evenitngs to be here again!

then in 2 weeks total chaos again as we mve to the new house....

My meds are straight so i am sleeping better, still a little off on sleep...and I am not runing like crazy blithering like i'm on speed anymore...

Such a releif to feel somewhat normal.:ghug
Old 02-04-2009, 02:36 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Glad to hear that Nans!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:28 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard View Post
Yeah, it's an awesome site. I can't believe it's free. You can track your exercise there, too, and get an idea of how many calories you're burning. And the groups... don't even get me started on the groups. LOL Lots of recipes and very helpful articles as well.

I won't have any time for SR if I immerse myself there....WOW there is a lot of stuff! I canít thank you enough for pointing me thereÖIím surprised Iíve never heard of it before.

I hope I can stick with it...I just put in all of the food I ate today (even breath mints). It's a little tedious...but I think I need to do this. I don't like being organized (my outward appearance shows that.).

Iím okay on everything today so far except for sodiumÖI completely blew that. Oh, well. Baby steps.

Hello, everyone!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:29 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Are you feeling any better today, TSH?
Old 02-04-2009, 04:23 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Ive just joined up to the spark site too Bam, you are right it looks great but I will need to stick to it for more than my usual week.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:30 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Bam, I'm so glad you like the web site.

I'm a little better today. My husband and I had a much more calm and rational discussion last night (after his failed attempt at going to an Al-Anon meeting - THEIR failure, not his). So, things are a little better today. We'll see. I did at least manage to get some birthday shopping done for my son!
Old 02-04-2009, 08:02 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

TSH, how does your husband feel about 12-Step concepts? My gf went to Alanon once and never went back.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:10 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

He despises them. It's been quite an issue, actually. I was already skeptical of him going to the meeting last night because I was afraid he was going to go with his mind already made up that it would be pointless and useless, based on things he's said in the past. But then he went and it was a CUB SCOUT meeting, not an Al-Anon meeting... Figures. He says he's going to try again tomorrow (different meeting, different location). We'll see.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:19 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Yeah... he's probably not gonna like it too much. It's basically the AA program for the SO's "disease".
Old 02-04-2009, 08:52 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

sorry guys.... my hotel room connection isn't working...day shift will fix it....i am soooo far behind you all now I'm using the hotel loby computer and the writing is so small on the screen and i can't change it...will post in the am, but won't get lots of time till they turn on my room after 7 and then i go to work

Please think of me (hug)