SMART Recovery

Old 11-07-2008, 02:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

SMART Recovery

I live in a major county without a non 12-step recovery (OC) but I live in South County. And on Friday nights, they have meetings in Vista. It is 50 miles away but there is Rock 105.3. And that drive is an easy drive.

I just decided to block out my social calendar for every Friday night for the next 6-12 months unless it is an out-of-town trip or BM (Burning Man) regional. I am losing the desire to drink socially even though my social life in high drinking scenes but I suck when I am alone. I do most of heavy drinking alone compared to social drinking. On social drinking, I am do not drink excessively but rather I drink alone.

Getting me involved that program is a good thing and plus I got no problem with AA so I can get to the AA meetings on the weekends.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Hey, Crisco. If you're going to that meeting tonight, please come back and tell us what it was like. I've been to LifeRing meetings, but never a SMART Recovery meeting. I hope it was worth your drive!

DK
Old 11-08-2008, 12:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I am McLovin'

BM (Burning Man) regional event?

That's funny, if you're referring to the same BM I'm thinking about. I thought I was probably the only burner on SR.

Anyways, suspicious that the OC (orange county) doesn't have any secular programs there, after all, you're closer to LA than Vista!
Old 11-08-2008, 02:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I went to BM in 2000. Really fun trip. I've been wanting to go again but I gots kiddies and junk.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found both Smart Recovery and LifeRing good - really good ideas there. Not as much recovery as AA but the basic ideas of how we get and stay sober seemed really good. I like the Smart Recovery handbook a lot - full of tools.

Lots of BM friends, never have been.