SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   Help Secular People! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/156486-help-secular-people.html)

Live 09-11-2008 09:17 PM

Good gravy, Charlie Brown! okay, i was swearing like a sailor reading this thread.

I just get UPSET. Why can't I say that I am an agnostic and others not understand that I do have a belief system and that is what it is called?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can tell what is going to happen when I die......any usable organs are donated, then my body goes to science research and they burn up what they didn't want or use and dispose of it legally.

I get upset at the proselytizing. Religious and Approved Group. I can't say what I really mean by that last euphenism. That pees me off too.

Best off staying down in the basement of mental health where I belong, knowing that my disease is never going to be removed and we all are on DRUGS.

I tried to explain earlier this week that without my drugs I will die. And it seems that some would rather have me "clean and sober" which would quickly result in my hospitalization and if I remained drug free I would die. DIE. Which arrangements I have made as mentioned above, but I would like to live and with some quality of life for awhile.

I qualify due to a crack addicted stepson for the families groups but I visit only rarely because of these issues.............religious and approved group.

The first time I have vented about all this in a very long time.

sorry, if I hijacked.

Bamboozle 09-11-2008 11:50 PM

Hey, my post got removed from that thread along with the post that really ticked me off(don't know if anyone saw it...I already apologized to Carol (I didn't name call or belittle but I was "shouting"...I got a little upset and posted out of character.)).

Usually I can handle flamers, but for some reason it touched a nerve today. There are good people here trying to better their lives and help people out, and they get slapped in the face for doing so. I don't know how to handle this. If I see much more of it, I'll have to leave SR. I love you people, but I'm in a fragile state right now and I don't want to screw up my sobriety. I'm close to relapsing again--maybe a couple of days? Weeks? I'm not sure, but I feel it coming...I'll probably have to change my routine again.

Dee74 09-12-2008 12:47 AM

I hope you stick it out Bamboozle - the thing is...this is a big board - you're always going to get some people who have The Answer, whether it be a program or a philosophy...I've seen them in all shapes colours and sizes.

But all of them, for whatever reason, have one thing in common - they just can't get that one size *doesn't* fit all....:hmmm:

They're actually rather few in number when you look at it - they just make a lot of noise about it.

But that's all it is - noise.

It's annoying, sometimes maddening - but if you let it drive you away, or overshadow the very real good things this place offers, then the zealots win....you lose the support you get here, and we lose one more intelligent reasonable voice...

and that, would suck.
D

Ananda 09-12-2008 05:25 AM

I missed something here, but I sure hope everyone just hangs in here! And if you are struggling on a post, always feel free to pm me...i'm here quite a bit.

Oh...and i have surgery a week from monday and will be on pain meds after words for at least a few days...so i will probably just do a quick check in those days as i don't wanna be weird on line :)

Just wanted to let you know so you wouldn't worry!

doorknob 09-12-2008 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by liveweyerd (Post 1906383)
I get upset at the proselytizing. Religious and Approved Group. I can't say what I really mean by that last euphenism. That pees me off too... <snip>

<snip> ...I qualify due to a crack addicted stepson for the families groups but I visit only rarely because of these issues.............religious and approved group.

I know exactly what you mean, and if the word is the one I am thinking of, the term sociologists use is new religious movement. I have a hard time venturing outside this forum for very long because it just becomes overwhelming. I would really like to go to a meeting tonight to get away from this computer and talk to some people f2f, but I know how I will most likely end up feeling. Either :rolleyes: or :lala.

doorknob 09-12-2008 08:47 PM

I went anyway...

Ananda 09-12-2008 09:03 PM

I'm glad you're back DK....i like having friends around!:ghug

SelfSeeking 09-12-2008 11:36 PM

Hi my secular friends... I am freaked out... I actually asked someone to be my sponsor :yikes:

I just thought... what the hell.. I'll stick my toe in the water. But if she's too heavy on the HP talk, I'm sprinting for the door. I am expert at fleeing religious scenes.

Do I still get to post here? I don't want to turn in my membership card!

Dee74 09-13-2008 12:09 AM

just...breathe, Self...it's gonna be Ok...
:lmao

and yeah we let anyone in here...even AAers ;)

joke! *joke*! :05:

sounds like a good move...
D

SelfSeeking 09-13-2008 12:16 AM

Hehe. Who's hysterical? *looks around*

Overman 09-13-2008 02:34 AM

I think a lot of BB thumpers really feel they've found the Way,

That, IMHO, is the rigid style of thinking that leads to absolutes...and is partially responsible for the addictive behavior in the first place.

Although I'm friendly to the concept of HP, I consider myself secular in orientation. 'God' and prayers are irrelevant to my personal sobriety. My sobriety is largely based on my own behavior, the choices I make, the ppl I surround myself with, and the community that I serve.

However, I find it hard to get upset by all the proseltyzing that takes place. I guess I see it through a different lens...ie, part of their 'disease'.

:puppet

Overman 09-13-2008 02:39 AM

@ Self-seeking

A sponsor can be very helpful, but it all depends on the fit. Some ppl just have a personality conflict.

I think some people become 'sponsors' for the wrong reasons. It's more of an ego thing (and we all know that addicts have inflated egos!).

SelfSeeking 09-13-2008 06:33 AM

This person seems like a very kind, intelligent person... not real worried about it overman but thanks :) She's also got over a decade of sobriety, so obviously something's working for her. She's where I'd like to be 10 years from now. I guess that's why I asked her.

Dee74 09-13-2008 06:36 AM

I trust you to make an informed choice SelfSeeking ;)

D

Live 09-13-2008 06:43 AM

LOL...............and I went to the Dr's!

My grandson will be having open heart surgery and they told me they would pray for us.
I said thank you very much.

dancinggirl 09-13-2008 07:38 AM

liveweyered: I'm so sorry your grandson is going through that! I'll be thinking of you and him and wishing all the best!

Ananda 09-13-2008 07:52 AM

hey selfseeker...if you work the steps in a secular way with your sponsor...be sure to utilize the secular 12 step thread cause I really need support on that and it doesn't get used much....

And don't anyone take that wrong!!!!! I just love all of you. And you help and support me so much! Just think it would be good to use some 12 step stuff there for those who do choose to do that.

SS - maybe your sponsor should call my sponsor for help in how to deal with us strange AAs! :lmao

SelfSeeking 09-13-2008 07:59 AM

Ha- ananda, I dunno, she hasn't officially accepted yet! I need to call her today and talk about it. She doesn't know I'm a heathen :D I hope if she doesn't feel like she can be my sponsor she's gentle... But if that's the case I know there are plenty of other heathens around, I'll find one of 'em.

Just found a Unitarian meeting that I want to visit. It's not in my town but I bet it'd be worth the drive.

Dee74 09-13-2008 04:08 PM

thinking of you and your grandson too, liveweyerd :)

D

SlvrMag 09-13-2008 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by SelfSeeking (Post 1907945)
Just found a Unitarian meeting that I want to visit.

What is that?