To My Secular Friends

Old 05-09-2009, 01:17 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Ka...dee, ka....deee, Ka..deee, that's stupid. Sheesh!

I would lecture, but I'm tired and I wouldn't know where to begin... :-)
Old 05-09-2009, 01:29 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Hey Doorknob,

Might be a silly question in that, if it were that easy, but anything in particular keeping you where you live now?
Old 05-09-2009, 03:06 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Sorry I still haven't been able to find anyone to volunteer for the tough love. Do you want me to give it another try? Here goes !

Stop feeling sorry for yourself.

That's the sentence that someone threw at me 6 years ago that got me sober at that time for 6 months, and that still runs through my head now. I tend to wallow in alcohol and self-pity.

Tough love is not my thing. But I tried !
Old 05-09-2009, 06:56 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by gerryP View Post
Might be a silly question in that, if it were that easy, but anything in particular keeping you where you live now?
A lease, money, and mostly tough decisions, I guess. I'll go into more detail when I'm a little more awake.

I have a job interview on Monday. The location is between Spokane and where I am living now, which is good, especially if I like it and then decide to move. However, it sounds extremely physical and I'm not sure if I still (or ever did, lol) have what it takes. If I get hired, I'll try to hang as long as I can.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:55 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
A lease, money, and mostly tough decisions, I guess. I'll go into more detail when I'm a little more awake.

I have a job interview on Monday. The location is between Spokane and where I am living now, which is good, especially if I like it and then decide to move. However, it sounds extremely physical and I'm not sure if I still (or ever did, lol) have what it takes. If I get hired, I'll try to hang as long as I can.
hard @ss work is really hard for the first couple months. then your body sweats out the toxins, your body gets strong, and you'll feel great. if it's construction or some other "leave the job at work" job then it'll help in all kinds of ways.

just for you doknob i'm leaving this sentence unfin.....
Old 05-09-2009, 12:57 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Ah...just all the life stuff that keeps us where we are Doorknob.

Hey though, best to you on Monday!
Old 05-09-2009, 01:56 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Ka...dee, ka....deee, Ka..deee, that's stupid. Sheesh!

I would lecture, but I'm tired and I wouldn't know where to begin... :-)
Well, to each his own, respectfully said. Where is the value in lecturing? It has never done me any good. I seek to support and accept no matter where someone is at, unless I see that person drinking heavily in which I will give a big lecture! However, it still isn't my place to try to control. Much like Alanon, I guess.

My BF is really pretty hands off and doesn't bother lecturing me anymore. He did that for a long time and all it caused was a problem. It didn't help either of us one bit. He works in mental health with plenty of people with SA problems and knows it's up to the person to take the bulls by the horn. So I come from this perspective

Last edited by Katie09; 05-09-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:27 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Lecturing doesn't work for me either, probably never did.

So true about everything being up to the person to get things done with change. No one can do it for anyone but themselves.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:35 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  

However, a lecture doesn't seem like a lecture if it's from someone who really does care about you and have your best interests considered really...does it? "Lecture" seems to have a negative connotation.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:55 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

[QUOTE=windysan;2222924]
hard @ss work is really hard for the first couple months. then your body sweats out the toxins, your body gets strong, and you'll feel great. if it's construction or some other "leave the job at work" job then it'll help in all kinds of ways.
It's a place that stores documents, so it involves packing away boxes of paper, climbing up on ladders, etc... I'm tryin' to psych myself up. I did grunt labor on a construction site last spring and summer, and when we moved out here, my back was toast. I have to be somewhat careful with an injury (gymnastics mishap) I've been nursing since high school.

Oh no you didn't...

Just for you doorknob, I'm leavin' this sentence unfinished.....
There, fixed if for ya!

Old 05-09-2009, 04:57 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
No lectures DK - just an observation....my lifes pretty crappy too - hasn't changed much in that material way at all....but I just don't drink anymore.
How do you deal with the sucktitude?
Old 05-09-2009, 05:00 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

However, a lecture doesn't seem like a lecture if it's from someone who really does care about you and have your best interests considered really...does it? "Lecture" seems to have a negative connotation.
My dad was the king of lectures. He'd go into this broken record mode and repeat the same sh*t over and over until you'd want to take yourself out South Park style. On and on to the break of dawn...

I don't think it was effective.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:04 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Anytime someone tries to tell someone what to do, that to me is a lecture. Let's not forget this is the Internets (thank you George). As such, best to tread lightly, IMHO. We're adults here. Like my BF says, you're a big girl and can make your own decisions.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
Let's not forget this is the Internets (thank you George).
That right therre is funny.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:17 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Buy the way, Dee... not sure how, but you were in a dream I had last night. You were teaching gymnastics at a place I was also teaching at. Don't ask me... :wtf2
Old 05-09-2009, 05:20 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  
Administrator

How do you deal with the sucktitude?
As goodly or badly as anyone else ...

I'm by no means a yogi or a swami or anything LOL...sometimes I can do a mental 'gratitude list', sometimes I can distract myself with music or a movie, and sometimes I'm just an insufferable a$$hole to everyone, I kick walls, or powerwalk for friggin miles and end up in bed for two days....

I just know that, for me, to drink is not an option because it never makes things better - it always makes things way worse.

I didn't work that out by my own genius tho - I drank until I had no choice really - it was either stop, or go on and die. Not being melodramatic either.
Even I finally got that through my thick skull, I guess LOL.

The longer I'm here the more I realise I dont really know what to say to someone whose cost benefit analysis is a little greyer - I just hope you stop DK (cos I know you want to).... and I hope you never end up where I did, man.

D
Old 05-09-2009, 05:22 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  

That right therre is funny.
On the same page After all, I am a librul.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:23 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  
Administrator

Buy the way, Dee... not sure how, but you were in a dream I had last night. You were teaching gymnastics at a place I was also teaching at. Don't ask me...
that is f@#$%d up right there, DK
Old 05-09-2009, 05:39 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
that is f@#$%d up right there, DK
You were a comedian that I saw on TV who has CP. I think I only saw him once, and it was quite a while ago. Of course, I thought I might just be trippin', so I had to look him up.

This guy is funny. I hope you know I mean you no disrespect, Dee. I'm not trying to stereotype or make fun or anything. H*ll, I'm a guy who washes my hands so much my skin is all dried out and get into fits of repeating things because they don't "feel" right.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's pretty spookily like me actually LMAO
He's great!

thanks DK!
no offense at all btw LOL

D

Last edited by Dee74; 05-09-2009 at 06:12 PM.