To My Secular Friends

Old 05-05-2009, 08:59 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Congrats on that week, DK.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:26 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
Also, I took a depression test and OCD symptom test yesterday at my therapist's and my scores were more than 50% lower than when I started seeing her, even with my short return to drinking.
I guess when you have lower scores on a depression test that's good?
What's OCD? Why don't I know any of this? Sorry I never learned abreviations.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:36 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

Old 05-07-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I went to karaoke last night (no drinking). There were some horrific singers that might have been more tolerable with booze. And people always talk about not being able to do karaoke unless they are drunk. OMDK...
Old 05-07-2009, 11:20 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  
Never settle.

I went to karaoke last night (no drinking). There were some horrific singers that might have been more tolerable with booze. And people always talk about not being able to do karaoke unless they are drunk. OMDK...

I always figured they knew no one wanted to listen to them sing until they were toasted, and then they didn't care. Because frankly, most of the can't do karaoke drunk or sober.

I'll never forget walking into a karaoke bar in Russia, on "Texas Night." Now THAT was some bad country music, sung off-key in broken English, by drunk Russians... wearing what I imagine they thought looked like somewhat authentic cowboy duds.... Yes, as much as I try, I will never forget that.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:44 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

I went for a drive in the country with the dogs. Got lost and found my way back. Phal, I had called to see if you could look up where I was at, lol... it sucks that it's all private property around here. The wasn't even anywhere to let the beasts run around...
Love the pics that show me what WA looks like - or even houses in WA. BTW, DK, what does that sticker say on your car about God?

I bought a couple of bumper stickers a couple of years back. My fave was "How did our oil get under their sand?" (got it at a 911 truth conference). I never did put it on, as I live in a conservative place and didn't want my car keyed, tires slashed, etc.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
Love the pics that show me what WA looks like - or even houses in WA. BTW, DK, what does that sticker say on your car about God?

I bought a couple of bumper stickers a couple of years back. My fave was "How did our oil get under their sand?" (got it at a 911 truth conference). I never did put it on, as I live in a conservative place and didn't want my car keyed, tires slashed, etc.
You should see Phal's pics... and the sticker.. "is just pretend".

Good news and bad news... I found an awesome place to take the dogs that is a really pretty drive and is only 20 minutes away. Bad news is, I wasn't expecting to find anything, didn't have my camera, and consumed a small amount of alcohol. It looks like it's gonna be a nice day today (it's been mostly raining lately and unsettled at best) and I got a nice headache for it. I'll never freakin' learn...

Last edited by doorknob; 05-08-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

You should see Phal's pics... and the sticker.. "is just pretend".
I actually have seen Phal's pics and they are awesome I just like seeing any pics of the Pacific NW. If it were not for SAD, I'd be living there. Curious, but have you gotten any reactions to your "God is just pretend" sticker?
Old 05-08-2009, 07:18 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I've often seen people reading and discussing it behind me, sometimes pointing, lol... the last one I had, when I was living in Leavenworth (WA), someone tried to scribble out with a black marker and it didn't have any corners left from people trying to peel it off.. also one guy started a discussion with me and a lady said she would pray for me, lol...
Old 05-08-2009, 07:26 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Geez.. someone lay into me already... the suspense is killing me.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:59 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

How did you just happen to have some alcohol on a drive with the dogs? You mean you went out and bought some?
I'd like to tell you it gets easier each time you stop, but it doesn't! And each time you start up again you feel worse and worse! But that of course you know I suppose.

Stop it! I need people to show me how it can be done, because I know how to foul myself up. And I really usually appreciate your input here.

Now if you're looking for a little tough love, I'll see who I can raise !
Old 05-08-2009, 08:02 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Old 05-08-2009, 08:16 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by californiapoppy View Post
How did you just happen to have some alcohol on a drive with the dogs? You mean you went out and bought some?
I'd like to tell you it gets easier each time you stop, but it doesn't! And each time you start up again you feel worse and worse! But that of course you know I suppose.

Stop it! I need people to show me how it can be done, because I know how to foul myself up. And I really usually appreciate your input here.

I did.. I bought a beer before I left town and a couple more when I got back.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Maybe I didn't read back far enough, but is this related to CP's post?

If so, I take the perspective of my therapist - it is what it is. I take this perspective as it's of no value of me to get lectured on what I do right or what I do wrong. Everything is relative.

Now, I've been smoking with bronchitis and asthma. A lot of people would call that stupid and lecture me. I think it's worse than having a couple of drinks. So no lecture from me. I go back to my chocolate cake analogy. I can have it anytime time I want so I don't. If you tell me not to eat it, I will go to the store and buy some. BUT - I will say that driving after eating chocolate cake isn't going to kill me or anyone else.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:31 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

CP's post was a response to that, yes.

BUT - I will say that driving after eating chocolate cake isn't going to kill me or anyone else.
That's why I only took a single beer with me.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:33 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by californiapoppy View Post

CP, I do appreciate your sentiments. I don't feel worse and worse each time. What I DO feel is sh*t, I'd better reign this in before something bad happens. As far as that old guilt stuff, I just don't do it anymore. I approach things from a pragmatic perspective. Alcohol will kill. Cigarettes will kill (four times as many annually as alcohol, yet people will advocate to keep smoking after quitting drinking). Being overweight will kill. Eating junk food will kill. So many things do kill. In my world it's about progress, not perfection and being safe. Both to me and others.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

CP's post was a response to that, yes.

That's why I only took a single beer with me.
Well, I know I will be the odd woman out, but you'll get no lecture from me over this. Now, had you taken more than one, I could see it. I so believe all of this is about responsibility.

Are you familiar with moderation management? NOT that I am advocating this. Rather, the founder of this movement (think in WA) went back to AA AFTER MM. Got drunk and killed people (drinking UTI) while a member of AA. Just an interesting note.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:38 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

How about I will pray for you DK? bahahahaha
Seriously? Insanity = doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results...
Bottom line. If you want a different life, you have to live a different life.
I think the world of you DK. You know I am an AA'er, so I will not bother you with my beliefs but just wanted to say I luv ya man
Old 05-08-2009, 08:45 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Well, I know I will be the odd woman out, but you'll get no lecture from me over this. Now, had you taken more than one, I could see it. I so believe all of this is about responsibility.

I was only trying to make him happy. How about this?
Old 05-08-2009, 08:46 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Thanks, TT. Right back atcha!