To My Secular Friends

Old 08-09-2008, 11:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Dang, doeknob !! I had a bit of that OCD when I was doping. Checking the locks and the stove and the lightswitches and stuff. I didn't have it too bad though. I quit doping and it went away. I wish you could get a job putting puzzles together...that way when the puzzle is done then it's done. I have a friend who sells books on half.com and ebay. She does pretty good with it and she hits garage sales and thrift stores for books. What about UPS or Fedex? Those loaders make good money and that seems like it wouldn't get you a'countin and whatnot.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Some stuff I do is a lot like tweekers. I have really bad cleaning rituals (if I decide I'm going to clean) and wash the hell outa my hands. I get stuck in rituals where I have to look at things a certain way for a certain length of time, and I have to pick the best looking package of whatever I'm buying, which reminded me of your annoying stoner post involving picking out eggs. Except I get worse when I put down the dank & drank. I'm just a freak, dude. Not a bad idea about loading trucks, except from where I live it would be about a 40 mile commute. If I don't find a way to start making some scrilla soon, I'm gonna have to start selling stuff I don't want to sell!
Old 08-09-2008, 12:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Do they make medication for the OCD? It sure sounds like a pain in the ass. Does the weed make it worse or better? Sorry for the questions but it is interesting. I do still have a bit of the OCD lingering around but I've had that since I was a kid. I got these really bad headaches, hallucinations, and floaters (eye floaters and not turds) when I was a kid. For a while they thought I might be ******** or autistic. Anyways, I'd do some counting and I hadda get it right or I'd do it over again. I still like to get the nicest package of whatever I'm buying. LOL. Now when I get the urge to pick out the best package I'll pick out a crappy one on purpose.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

They use SSRI anti-depressants for OCD, but effective dosages are usually very high and for me the reduction in symptoms are very slight. And the side effects of most of the SSRI's (Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, etc.) at maximum dosage are pretty unpleasant. As far as the direct effect on symptoms, weed can help me get unstuck from something I've been obsessing on, but also leave me more vulnerable to getting pulled into new rituals, atleast until I get too tired and lazy to do anything. If anything it just makes me more accepting of my situation and the way I am so I'm not motivated to really try to get better. It also helped keep my alcoholic drinking in check. Anyway, I pretty much lost access to the stuff with my move, and hey, it's been over 48 hours since I've had a drink. I'm wanting to try life with a clear head again. I passed up beer that was offered to me last night while my gf was having an audition with a band and am kinda proud of that. But I had way too much caffeine and thought I was gonna lose it for a bit. I could still feel it when I woke up this morning. I need to leave that stuff alone too.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Congrats on the two days doorknob!

I have a neurological condition, and a portion of it includes symptoms very similar to OCD. I found good ol' Vitamin B helps me. Not the B-6 but a single complex in the morning.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:14 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As you are in a farming community....is there a harvest
coming up you could day labor on?

Not a long term solution but it's cash.

Welcome back ....
Old 08-09-2008, 04:23 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Thanks, Carol. The only thing they grow here is wheat. Miles and miles of it. I'm not sure what harvesting wheat involves or if it's something I could do. I had inquired about a ranch hand job and was told I needed experience. I'm seriously thinking about applying for SSDI, getting a lawyer, etc.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Alera View Post
I have a neurological condition, and a portion of it includes symptoms very similar to OCD. I found good ol' Vitamin B helps me. Not the B-6 but a single complex in the morning.
How long did it take for you to feel the effects of this? I know my eating habits have much room for improvement.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
I would love to get to know you better!
That's what you think! J/K

Old 08-10-2008, 06:57 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
I'm seriously thinking about applying for SSDI, getting a lawyer, etc.
I'm on SSDI now. Without it there is no way I could afford the medication. Especially the way health care is for workers, like myself being without the job skills to stay out of minimum wage jobs. Plus its is giving me the time I need to work on myself.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:18 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

How long did it take for you to feel the effects of this? I know my eating habits have much room for improvement.
Noticed small improvements within 24 hours, and it got much better within a week.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:16 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by zencat View Post
I'm on SSDI now. Without it there is no way I could afford the medication. Especially the way health care is for workers, like myself being without the job skills to stay out of minimum wage jobs. Plus its is giving me the time I need to work on myself.
I've never had a job that was significantly above miminum wage and I've never had one that offered health coverage. It's not that I don't want to work. I would hope that I could work some hours and not be disqualified (assuming I could even get on it in the first place). I've worked since I was 15 (I'm 39 now) and it's just gotten harder and harder. And now I'm living in a place where there aren't many jobs to start with... and in WA you can't get any medical help unless you are disabled. If you're able to work in any capacity all you qualify for is food assistance.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:55 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I hear in the news that plenty of minimum wage workers in CA have no health insurance. I was on a county program before getting medical-medicare. The psych drugs available to me then was severely limited to just a few.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:58 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Well.. I let my emotions get the better of me again. Drank a 24 oz can of Mickey's last night. I'm fine though, atleast for now. I went to an unofficial all inclusive 12-Step meeting today at noon. There was only two other people there. One guy was very cool and very serene and I liked him right off, the other I managed to tick off in the first 5 minutes, lol. I almost bounced, but I'm glad I stayed.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:59 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hey DK,

Too bad you aren't on the west side of the mountains, I might be able to help you out with getting work, but I did want to say hi from a fellow Washingtonian. If you are ever in Everett or vicinity, give me a shout.
Jim
Old 08-12-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Hiya Jim, yeah, we were in Peshastin (Leavenworth), now we're really far away! But give me a hollar if you're ever in the Spokane area or out on lonesome Highway 2. A guy on SR is gonna hook me up with some work I can do on my computer, so that should help. And then if I can find a part time job working a couple of days or evenings a week, even if I have to commute, that would be okay. Plus a little bit of eBay, assuming I can keep finding stuff to sell. I like to mix it up a bit. It keeps me from getting bored. But hey, thanks for the shout out. Right back at ya! DK
Old 08-13-2008, 08:02 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

It's a beautiful day here is Eastern Washington. Great day to be sober. I woke up with a mild headache almost like I had drank last night. Funny, cuz even though I had drank that big beer the night before I woke up feeling great yesterday. All I had was ice cream last night. I've heard that can give you hangover like symptoms (although I've never experienced that before) and I ate it right before I knocked off. But, it's not the type that takes half the day to shake like a 4 beer night is for me. Hope everyones day is off to a great start!

DK
Old 08-13-2008, 09:52 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hey Doornob...just thought I'd mention, it might have to do with the sugar content. when my sugar levels bounce around it can cause headaches and other problems.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:42 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hiya Jim, yeah, we were in Peshastin (Leavenworth), now we're really far away! But give me a hollar if you're ever in the Spokane area or out on lonesome Highway 2. A guy on SR is gonna hook me up with some work I can do on my computer, so that should help. And then if I can find a part time job working a couple of days or evenings a week, even if I have to commute, that would be okay. Plus a little bit of eBay, assuming I can keep finding stuff to sell. I like to mix it up a bit. It keeps me from getting bored. But hey, thanks for the shout out. Right back at ya! DK

I'll be sure and do that, DK. I hardly ever get over the mountains anymore. Like you said, the price of gas has a lot to do with where I go these days.

I think the last time I was on the dry side was a couple of years ago when I went to Chelan and then to visit a friend in Twisp.
Jim
Old 08-15-2008, 08:16 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Alrighty! It's Day 4 again...