Blogs

Notices

To My Secular Friends

Old 12-17-2008, 01:52 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll always back anyone up who's getting bullied, Allport.
You have a right to say what you think and be unmolested for it

D
Old 12-17-2008, 01:57 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Ive never actually been bullied Dee Im not brave enough to post anything controversial enough to upset people. lol

Im one of those sad people who apologises to people who bump into me. x
Old 12-17-2008, 03:29 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

perhaps we are related lol
Old 12-17-2008, 05:12 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by allport View Post
Ive never actually been bullied Dee Im not brave enough to post anything controversial enough to upset people. lol

Im one of those sad people who apologises to people who bump into me. x
LOL I didn't mean you specifically, J
but you have as much right to yr opinion as anyone else
D
Old 12-17-2008, 06:01 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by allport View Post
Luckily in England no one is mandated to attend AA although it may get you on the good side of a magistrate or judge.

I can imagine attending with people who are forced to be there is not much of a laugh, (depending on how seriously they take it) having said that why on earth should anyone be required to attend, surely its against one of your amendments (not sure what they are but I heard it on Law and Order. lol)

Ananda I have spent most of my life trying to fit in, different groups at different times, Ive changed my persona more times than my hair colour (and thats a lot, it was turquoise at one time!).

Ive never really felt accepted anywhere and I am trying to deal with that but I still have a lot of the non confrontational people pleaser in me.

I will get there one day, Im glad you are still sane (lol) I sometimes wonder if I am.
I think courts mandating people to religious programs is being challenged in a few places. Separation of Church and State should mean separation of church and state. LOL. People shouldn't be forced into religious programs against their will. I think it's really done a number on the effectiveness of AA/NA in some areas. Dope was being sold after the meetings I went to. I don't need to be around feral people so I split and never went back.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:24 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
I think courts mandating people to religious programs is being challenged in a few places. Separation of Church and State should mean separation of church and state. LOL. People shouldn't be forced into religious programs against their will. I think it's really done a number on the effectiveness of AA/NA in some areas. Dope was being sold after the meetings I went to. I don't need to be around feral people so I split and never went back.
The majority of my local NA meetings are in one building. My friend didn't understand the reasons I stopped going, until she saw our local NA featured on a MTV show, and there was the building. They showed the dealers outside of the meetings. This friend never questioned why I left NA for SMART after that.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:52 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

For me, its about actually recovering and not about being in constant "recovery". I am not "powerless" as is the AA motto. Even at my worst drinking habits I always had the ability to abstain, when certain family was around, etc. I just fell into some bad daily habits and felt a need to redirect my thinking. I think that for me AA represents "thinking" about alcohol all the time, life-long, and always being around others who cannot "be" around alcohol. I don't go to meetings and find myself thinking about drinking less and less. If I take a class at night (we are doing that come January) it will be printmaking, biology, art history, etc. Something constructive.

I had a bout with cocaine years ago for about 2 months...my boyfriend and I at the time got started at a party pretty innocently (I was only 19). After two months we were doing it every few days. I recognized a problem and fixed it on my own. Ended up leaving the boyfriend over it too. Never looked back or had a "relapse". A few years later I was at a party and people were using it...I politely declined but stayed at the party and had a good time. It wasn't difficult it was more like "ehhh...." It's not like I'm going to call myself a cocaine addict for the rest of my life, right? Doesn't make sense that I would label myself an alcoholic if I am no longer abusing alcohol. Can't I just be ME?
Old 12-22-2008, 07:03 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I don't believe that labeling oneself as an addict is absolutely necessary for recovery. Personally, I can take it or leave it. I drank and smoked pot daily for pretty much the last 20 years, and have spent most of the last decade trying on and off to quit with very limited success, so the label kinda fits, lol.

I had a bout with cocaine too, crack and powder. It's been 10 years since I've smoked crack and I still occasionally have dreams about it.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:15 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Talking

Hello. I'm Rayne and I'm a life-a-holic.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:46 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I'm meeting with a couple of gals who run a gymnastic club later this afternoon to discuss the possibility of joining their staff. I'm not sure how much to disclose about my situation. In the past, I've had a tendency to tell people too much...

What's going on:

1) I have OCD/anxiety problems.

2) I have substance abuse issues but am almost 90 days sober.

3) I'm currently on temporary mental health disability.

Any feedback and/or experience would be appreciated.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  
Resident

I am not anti AA either as I agree that whatever works is good. I do get annoyed at people that think AA is the only way as this has been proven npt to be the case.

I have never gone to an AA meeting and I compare it to different bars.
I never went to country bars, gay bars or the union type bars where all the union brothers went to complain that the $X per hour wasn't enough for turning that bolt.

I have nothing against those bars but I wanted to spend my time at places where I would enjoy the company and the music. This is how I fwwl about AA.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:13 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

I went to an AA meeting yesterday. It was a tag meeting. I sat there the whole freaking hour (almost)trying to figure out how I'd introduce myself if called upon. I finally came up with "I'm Katie and I'm just here to listen." This was true. It was an open meeting. Talk about a stupid way to spend 45 minutes - wondering if I had to use their label or be true to me. I am not going back.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
I went to an AA meeting yesterday. It was a tag meeting. I sat there the whole freaking hour (almost)trying to figure out how I'd introduce myself if called upon. I finally came up with "I'm Katie and I'm just here to listen." This was true. It was an open meeting. Talk about a stupid way to spend 45 minutes - wondering if I had to use their label or be true to me. I am not going back.
Just my opinion -- Always be true to you. My therapist is always telling me I need to learn to be genuine. It's not always easy for me being a good little codie.

May be check out another meeting? It took me like, 10 year, to find a meeting that I loved. It's diverse and very few of them are "my way or the highway" sort of people. I tend to tune those people out any way.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Oh, what's a tag meeting?
Old 01-27-2009, 04:10 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  
sentient puddle

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
I'm meeting with a couple of gals who run a gymnastic club later this afternoon to discuss the possibility of joining their staff. I'm not sure how much to disclose about my situation. In the past, I've had a tendency to tell people too much...

What's going on:

1) I have OCD/anxiety problems.

2) I have substance abuse issues but am almost 90 days sober.

3) I'm currently on temporary mental health disability.

Any feedback and/or experience would be appreciated.
i can really relate mate as i am in a similar boat - i've just come off of a long time on mental health disability (over 3 years) with depression and anxiety (still on medication) and am now looking for work again.

I also have a mild ocd! It's only started since trying to give up alcohol - my counsellor says it's something to do with trying to regain control of my life, which kinda makes sense, i expect you know about it already, i'm not patronising you!

i'm also in relatively early sobriety.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  
sentient puddle

Sorry, ran out of text space!

Anyway what i'm getting round to saying is, *in theory* it should be ok to disclose these things without an adverse reaction...

But in practice i'd say it's best not to share it with them unless you feel it's really necessary.

I wouldn't advocate lying. If asked directly or if it came up, just be open and honest. But if it doesn't come up then there's no need to.

Just my humble opinion, that's how i'm going to treat it myself and i have similar issues.

I just think there's a lot of misunderstanding of mental health / substance abuse / addiction by people who haven't been there or who don't have some sort of experience of it.

Just imho of course!
Old 04-25-2009, 04:56 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Wow, I'm feeling super crappy that my thread got closed, even though I requested it, and there were some posts that I was going to revisit over the next week, so I'll answer here if that's okay.

Peace,

DK
Old 04-25-2009, 05:23 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  
lunarlovelunar

DK~

Sorry your thread took a turn...

Seems to happen quite a bit lately...

I really enjoy your presence here.
I hope that you figure it out soon....for your own health and sanity.

I wish for you all the best. :ghug3
Old 04-25-2009, 05:49 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  
☯ ⓌⒾⓁⓁ☯

That's way okay Paul. Move along as you feel moved to do...I don't see recovery as some sort of an inquisition lead by probing questioning with right or wrong answers....LOL. Its a process...distinctly your processes...I'm only here to help you (as you see fit) not judge you...you know bro.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:04 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I apologize if I contributed to the down-slide of your thread, Paul. That wasn't my intention. Sometimes I get frustrated and puzzled over certain struggles and I'm not referring to you in any way. I'm here to offer support in any way possible. We don't have all of the answers. I know that for certain. I do know plenty about the struggles and know a bit about the solution. That is for today, there are no guarantees for tomorrow. Nonetheless, keep pressing forward.