Blogs

Notices

To My Secular Friends

Old 12-12-2008, 08:38 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

my head hurts
Old 12-12-2008, 09:18 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

DK, wasn't that a line from Guns N Roses?
Welcome to the bunghole, it's gets worse here everyday...

Try that at karaoke one night
Old 12-13-2008, 04:50 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  

how is everyone tonight????

I'm off to a meeting hope to see some of you around later....

have a good sober Saturday night and a hangoverless sunday morning 8
Old 12-13-2008, 04:58 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I was thinkin' about drivin' to a meeting, but there's drifting snow... I might anyway.. but I'm not drinking the punch!

Last edited by doorknob; 12-13-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:02 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
I was thinkin' about drivin' to a meeting, but there's drifting snow...

How much snow?

And how cold is it there? That crap is moving east. Maybe it'll fizzle out by the time it gets here.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:10 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

We've probably gotten close to a foot in the last two days and it's 18 degrees. Supposed to get down to -3 overnight...

Old 12-13-2008, 06:21 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I decided that I'm just chill out in da crib tonight. Got my atheist & agnostic meeting tomorrow morning and the weather's not good. Not that it will be any better tomorrow, but daylight makes a big difference. I'm gonna make a quick Slaveway run though. Need junk food and beverages...
Old 12-13-2008, 08:01 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

yuck meeting...probably my attitude...
Old 12-13-2008, 08:07 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

No... it prolly sucked.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:58 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

AA just made me wanna puke today... I get so sick of people praising the program as their savior... every share sounds like an exact copy of the previous one... wtf is wrong with an original thought??? Sorry, just had to get that out...
Old 12-17-2008, 02:54 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Im not sick of AA (probably because I havent been for a while) but I am getting the feeling at the moment that when I log on Ive made a mistake and joined the AA is the only answer forum.

There is a thread active about someone who feels uncomfortable about going to AA and they basically got shot down from all sides.

I may be feeling paranoid (dont think I am) but its come to point that I dont want to post about my problems because I know the replies will be along the lines of it works if you work it.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:35 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I know what thread you're talkin about and how you feel about redundant 'it works' replies. That's why I sometimes stick to just posting in this forum. I have a hard time relating to folks who see life only through AA glasses.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:20 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Just one of the reasons I quit going to meetings.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:33 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Even some (not all, or I'd be gone) of the people at the atheist & agnostic meeting are still trying to conform. Mostly the newer ones who are also going to traditional meetings. I felt like saying, "c'mon people, step outside the box. We are not Borg..."
Old 12-17-2008, 10:23 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

ah...um...ahh wait a moment while I take off my glasses

Sorry folks...I couldn't help it

I think I get it....but I do figure people share what works for them to stay sober...just happens alot of people find AA helpful.

I like to "think outside the box" myself, but as you all know I fall into it sometimes...and of course there is also the little Aiethest/agnostic box that I can get trapped by too

Old 12-17-2008, 10:51 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Ananda I love people sharing their recovery storys no matter what has helped them through, Im not even particularly anti AA, I just dont like the feeling that everyones feelings and views are to be respected except if you dare to express something negative about AA/NA, then you are fair game.

I dont bring my atheism into conversations unless it is relevant to that subject, I think that I fear even mentioning it sometimes because people accuse me of being obsessed, yet many people have religous or AA quotes as their signatures.

I have been guilty in the past of saying to others dont give up on AA without giving it a real try, when I think about this I dont believe its sensible advice for everyone, I spent (wasted) a lot of time trying to contort my thinking in order to fit in and it left me emotionally devestated.

I respect the right of others to recover in whatever way suits them, I just wish I felt as if I was given the same right.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:17 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

I dont mean I havent got the right to choose my own method of recovery, I mean I dont feel as if I can talk about the fact that AA has at times been harmful to me, and that I feel it excludes those who are not willing to conform.

Saying anything like this on other forums brings accusations, of not wanting sobriety enough or putting off other newcomers or arrogance etc.

I am non of these things Im just a recovering alcoholic, trying my best to get a handle on life and sobriety whilst remaining true to myself and my beliefs.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:44 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

hey alport (hug) yeah i do get it....Honestly I love your signature line and often consider stealing it!

I'm glad you are talking about this in this forum. I have at times been harmed by some of the AA talk, of course ..for me I have also been helped at times. There are those who I think are not at all benifited by AA, and unfortunately I don't really have a way to tell who will be helped by what...so I try (and screw up regularly) to talk about what works for me right now, in the past, etc.

I really really love all the non-program people here at SR because you are HUGE in helping to keep me from sliding into fitting into the crowed instead of coming to terms with my true belief and expereince....cause i have this problem...i do want to fit in pretty despeartely at times

I don't expresss myself very well at times...but I do know that you all are saving my but on a regular basis...no preasure or anything....
Old 12-17-2008, 12:29 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Toward the end it was difficult for me to determine "real members" apart from the court-mandated knuckleheads.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Luckily in England no one is mandated to attend AA although it may get you on the good side of a magistrate or judge.

I can imagine attending with people who are forced to be there is not much of a laugh, (depending on how seriously they take it) having said that why on earth should anyone be required to attend, surely its against one of your amendments (not sure what they are but I heard it on Law and Order. lol)

Ananda I have spent most of my life trying to fit in, different groups at different times, Ive changed my persona more times than my hair colour (and thats a lot, it was turquoise at one time!).

Ive never really felt accepted anywhere and I am trying to deal with that but I still have a lot of the non confrontational people pleaser in me.

I will get there one day, Im glad you are still sane (lol) I sometimes wonder if I am.