This is my hello of sorts...

Old 06-17-2008, 07:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is my hello of sorts...

So, I've been doing the whole sober thing on my own here for a little while with some success but I was told that participation in a group would help a lot. I gave AA a try but I definitely had some problems with their approach. The moment I saw secular in the title for this group, well, that was a really good start.

I've been doing relatively well cutting out drinking and learning my triggers. Unfortunately, I've had to cut off quite a few relationships as of late which has felt very odd. Additionally, those friends that are around really either do not or would not get what's going on. So, that's why I'm here.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to the forum. I believe recovery works best in groups. And it helps if many or at least some of the group members share the same thoughts about recovery. My thoughts are: no one recovery method is best for everyone and developing and working a personalized recovery plan is as good as any.

I like the secular humanism or a non-theist approach to recovery because of my horrific experiences with religion. I still get triggered by intrusive memories when I hear too much God talk.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah,Stamps,AA meetings can be irritating as hell, but Ive always found an individual or two, who I can connect with, share similar values, exchange jokes with etc. And its those few important connections that can replace your old get high buddies, and save your life.....also, most of my 25 years w/AA has been there are some meetings that I wouldnt take my dog too, but a different one on the other side of town is cool as hell..ps. more folks that appear on the surface to be God freaks, are really skeptics when you talk with them after the meetings
Old 06-18-2008, 11:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi stamps, welcome aboard!
Old 06-18-2008, 10:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome stamps

D
Old 06-19-2008, 05:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

hoe la
Old 06-20-2008, 07:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Stamps! I am a no meeting kind of person myself. In reality it is a personal decision and a personal choice. If you go to a meeting and choose not to drink/use you are the one making that choice. Likewise if you stay home alone...it is still all you. I feel like taking a nice aged cheddar to a meeting to go with the whine...LOL just my opinion folks...no flames, please..LOL
Find what works for you and work the crap out of it!
I drop in here now and then to read that it still sucks and what bbq windysan is eating lately...

T