SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   What is your favorite tool and why? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/151229-what-your-favorite-tool-why.html)

shockozulu 06-04-2008 09:38 AM

What is your favorite tool and why?

Many secular programs are made up of tools. I was thinking a thread listing our favorite tools might be helpful to all of us so I started one!

My favorite tool is still the CBA or Cost Benefit Analysis. I now use it for many things besides my addiction.

SMART RecoveryŽ - CBA Four questions about my addiction

CBA worksheet in PDF form

Tommyh 06-04-2008 10:52 AM

thank you Alera,thats a good tool
It is similar to a old ideas inventory I sometimes use.

GailJ 06-11-2008 04:24 AM

Just starting into smart recovery, I have been trying out the cba worksheet and now focusing on ABC while adjusting to being on meds again and waiting to see a counsellor.
I like the fact they have online meetings too for those of us who are no where near face to face meetings. I think they are excellent tools especially for us dual diagnosis individuals, the principals can be use to fight both urges, and anx/depression disorders. The REBT approach is amazing.

bugsworth 06-11-2008 04:30 AM

Great post Alera! I just started looking into Smart myself. I find its concepts very enlightening and am looking forward to learning more. Thanks for the links!

shockozulu 06-12-2008 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by bballdad
thank you Alera,thats a good tool
It is similar to a old ideas inventory I sometimes use.

Yes, it is similar to that, isn't it? I find it helpful in so many ways in my life. Even decisions such as dealing with school issues are helped by that tool.

GailJ: I also find the online meetings helpful. Since the meetings are focused around the tools, being online is not such a hindrance as it would be if the meetings were more "people" focused like AA/NA. I have received so much help from those meetings.

Bugs, I think SMART might be a good fit for you after reading your other posts. Also, you can work both AA and SMART which is wonderful for people that prefer a multifaceted approach.

windysan 06-12-2008 11:56 AM

The fishing rod and reel.

Because sometimes happiness is on the other end of it.

bugsworth 06-12-2008 12:08 PM

Alera, I think SMART is a good fit for me...I like what I have been reading seems to be more my style! I see much benefit from the CBA worksheet.

four812 06-12-2008 12:23 PM

i'm glad i opened this thread....i've not looked into 'smart recovery'.

the worksheet is pretty neat and I going to take a look at the website

thanks

shockozulu 06-13-2008 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by windysan (Post 1801676)
The fishing rod and reel.

Because sometimes happiness is on the other end of it.

A walk on the breakwater is where I find happiness. There are some wonderful fishermen there too.

LogCabin 08-21-2008 09:41 PM

Letting go of thoughts that are harmful is my favorite.

Bamboozle 08-22-2008 04:11 PM

The Three Stooges.

doorknob 08-22-2008 07:43 PM

This forum.. because it keeps my mind busy for long periods of time.