SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   moderation management (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/148142-moderation-management.html)

bob_sapp 04-14-2008 10:37 PM

moderation management

Moderation Management
What is the consensus on moderation management?

nolonger 04-14-2008 11:46 PM

Don't know about the consensus, but it wouldn't work for me, except to prove something I already know. That for me one drink leads to another to another to another to another: the brakes are faulty, and there's no fixing them.

StayinAlive 04-14-2008 11:58 PM

i think its for problem drinkers before they actually become alcoholics.

" there are four times as many problem drinkers as alcoholics in this country. Yet there are very few programs that specifically address the needs of beginning stage problem drinkers, while there are literally thousands of programs for the smaller population who are seriously alcohol dependent."

Dee74 04-15-2008 12:19 AM

Don't anything about the MM group beyond the usual scuttlebutt...not interested in repeating that.

As for moderation itself - never worked for me, or anyone else I know who eventually worked out they were an alcoholic, Bob.

D

windysan 04-15-2008 04:16 AM

I ain't an akaholic. I drink a few beers now and then and it ain't a big deal. I do stay away from dope though.

nandm 04-15-2008 10:21 AM

Isn't one of the big problems of alcoholics denial? I denied I was an alcoholic for years after I had evidence staring me in the face that I was an alcoholic. Although I believe there a normal drinkers out there I have to wonder if they are truly normal drinkers then why would they need to learn to moderate. None of the normal drinkers I know had to learn to moderate.

windysan 04-15-2008 12:15 PM

I know plenty of dopers who drink on occasion and don't turn into akaholics. I never met an akaholic who could control his drinkin, or a cokehead who could control his cokin....but then I don't know a lot of people either. I'm sure many can moderately drink. Because I was a doper and not an akaholic I saw in the Big Book of Akaholics where you could try some controlled drinking. I did that and I can take or leave the stuff. I'm thinking that if you're an akaholic then you prolly shouldn't try to moderate....do some controlled drinking like the Big Book says and see what happens. Prollems with work, family then quitting for good might be best.

Eroica 04-18-2008 05:22 AM

Moderation Managment is dangerous because it gives people who have a drinking problem the illusion/hope that they can somehow control their problem. People who drink moderately don't give a second thought about. Why torture yourself by "allowing" yourself two drink a day???? If that's moderation no thanks.

-Eroica

warrens 04-18-2008 05:35 AM

Been there, done that. It can be valuable, though. I removes any doubts one has about where the power resides.

warren

bob_sapp 04-19-2008 03:04 AM

What I don't get is why there is a program with rules for people who don't really have a problem. I mean, who else would looking at this program?

Eroica 04-19-2008 05:41 AM

MM does ask you to abstain from alcohol for 30 days before attempting moderation. Its step two of their program.

WhatisMM

-Eroica

Bel303 04-27-2008 02:08 AM

It sounds risky, but it probably has its place. I'm thinking along the lines of the way some people substitute one addiction for the other. Managing one addiction might be better than calling oneself `sober' only to become addicted to something else more harmful. For example I've known clubbers to swing between pills and booze. Booze was the lesser evil, for a time.

barb dwyer 04-27-2008 02:15 AM

It would be lethal for me.
I think Windy puts it best.

Zencat 04-27-2008 12:40 PM

Can't say I have or would try MM. I use to abuse and not using is my way now.

LosingmyMisery 04-27-2008 12:45 PM

If I could moderate, there wouldn't be a problem. It is a contradiction in terms.

Ananda 04-27-2008 12:59 PM

It wouldn't work for me....but I know people who went through a period of heavy drinking at one point in their life and weren't alchoholic. This program looked like a decent thing for people to try if they are not sure that they are alchoholic. It seemed to me that the page I looked at was very blunt about some needing to do something different like an abstenince program.

Fulldresser4 04-27-2008 03:16 PM

Just adding my two cents..I believe that the founder of "MM" was convicted of felony drunk driving and negligent homicide....I know it surely doesn't work for me.