Blogs

Notices

I hate it when...

Old 05-10-2007, 02:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I hate it when...

...threads disappear overnight. I wish you would leave them up just so I could see why they're being taken down!
Old 05-10-2007, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What left? Why?

Was it the one that had all the good and often helpful stuff in it? It seems so, but I cannot remember the title (Something about atheists or something. I need a nap).

Last edited by andshewas; 05-10-2007 at 01:16 PM. Reason: questions, always questions
Old 05-10-2007, 11:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by paulmh View Post
...threads disappear overnight. I wish you would leave them up just so I could see why they're being taken down!
Next time you might want to PM a moderator. They can explain why threads disappear, and often it is not a personal reason at all.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Any thread starter on our forums can ask to have their thread removed. We allow this for all members. The thread starter requested that the thread be removed. We remove many threads for this reason. Sometimes we remove all the threads a member ever posted at their request.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by andshewas View Post
Was it the one that had all the good and often helpful stuff in it? It seems so, but I cannot remember the title (Something about atheists or something. I need a nap).
lol... Secular Humanism and "New Atheists." Was likely removed because the subject ran counter to a gentler, more neutral direction in which the forum is being directed.

And because the replies were getting too good.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am generally in favour of gentle, really, but sometimes the truth hurts. That wasn't very gentle, I know, but I will try to re-phrase it: There was not name calling, there was a good discussion. There are places to go specifically for spiritual or christian based discussions. I have not gone to either one, (for obvious reasons, though I am sure a lot of good stuff comes from those discussions, which is why they are there, so this is NOT meant as a slam or to start any kind of childish hoo and hah between the forumses) but wonder if they are held to the same standard? As in- would the Lutherans and the Catholics be required to keep it "non-denominational", or able to discuss the differences between their church views as it seems the Active and Passive (wrong word, I know) atheists are required to do?

I guess what I'm getting at (and I am willing to take your word for it here) is- are the same standards applicable accross the board, so to speak?

Again- some of the stuff we were discussing was very deep, and maybe not directly applicable to recovery except in that trying to apply your general views to recovery is going to happen no matter what your views are and I will re-iterate that finding people with similar views who are in similar situations can be very beneficial. The reasons are many, but one of the main ones for me is that you don't have to worry about saying something which is going to offend inadvertently (obviously, you should not be *trying* to offend)- your honesty with both your beliefs and situation are crucial to recovery. For many of us here, the god element is a drawback when trying to think about recovery. An honest recovery requires an honest life- be it recovery from addiction or co-dependent behaviour.

A safe and secure place is appreciated. Feeling that some things might just be disappeared right in the middle of provoking thought is a bit unsettling. ("Disappeared" might be a strong word. I have Argentinian relatives, so it is a bit of a sensitive issue. I am not comfortable with disappearances, people especially, but ideas as well.) (I am not saying I am traumatised, or that Peronists are running the board, but that it is uncomfortable.)

Last edited by andshewas; 05-11-2007 at 12:27 PM. Reason: mad typo skillz
Old 05-11-2007, 12:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think it is very interesting how the question "How is this recovery related?" only gets asked about "certain" post.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Doug and I are the current moderators of this forum. I don't believe either of us have asked if a post is related to recovery. I also don't feel there is a need to rehash old complaints.

In all honesty I actually found Marius' article quite offensive. I also find his avatar offensive. In order to remain neutral since I am a person with faith I asked two other moderators with neutral beliefs if they found it offensive. They did not find it offensive so I left it as it was. I try to stay aware of my own triggers when moderating this forum and do not hesitate to ask for opinions.

I will say again that the thread starter requested that the thread be removed. That is their choice whether moderator or member.

As far as other forums being treated in the same way I would say yes. In fact I think this forum gets more leniency since there is a tendency to see us as being unfair. If a post had been posted on the Christian forum that called atheism ridiculous quackery and called their leaders walking corpses it would have been removed. There have been posts concerning other religions removed from the Christian forum also even though they truly believe the other religion caused damage in specific circumstances.

I put this forum up personally so you would all have a place to connect. My main objective has always been to make it a successful forum. All other forums of this kind have failed due to heated debates and flame wars. If I try to steer everyone away from that it is with the sole purpose of keeping this forum open and successful.
There are no other motives or personal feelings involved. If I am triggered I put my personal feelings aside and ask for opinions.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for the more detailed answer. We do all have our triggers, and I appreciate your double-checking on yours. It's not always easy.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Feel free to re-post the topics you want to discuss on your own threads.