quantum theory, jerry lewis, and drinking

Old 05-04-2007, 10:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

quantum theory, jerry lewis, and drinking

So, the many-worlds interpretation claims to resolve all paradoxes of quantum theory by allowing every possible outcome of every event to exist in its own history or world (paraphrased from wikipedia.)

This means that there's a universe where I'm not an alcoholic and Jerry Lewis never existed. At this point I'll settle for one where I'm still a drunk but there's no Jerry Lewis. Right now Jerry seems like a bigger threat to my well being.

I like old movies and there's one w/ Dean Martin on right now but Jerry is in it too and he's just agitating as hell, which is a bummer cause Dean sings really well. Sigh.

Seriously, the point I've lost my way in making is what seems like the un-avoidability of this 'disease.' I mean, by the time it occurred to me to change I was well past the point of doing so comfortably. Not to imply that I'm dwelling on the past, but I'd just to ask the versions of myself in alternative realities, "when and how did you stop, and is Jerry Lewis a universal plague?"

Perhaps I can be comforted by the notion that there's a version of me in another reality, already intoxicated to a Friday night standard, who gives me freedom to be sober in this reality. Thanks for reading and good luck.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ghost,

I firmly believe we all have a say in constructing our reality, and grabbing the 'change' wheel, whatever the skid we're in...

if that's not true, and everything is unavoidable, then there's probably a reality where you *are* Jerry Lewis.

Scary.

D
Old 05-05-2007, 09:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GhostInTheRuins View Post
So, the many-worlds interpretation claims to resolve all paradoxes of quantum theory by allowing every possible outcome of every event to exist in its own history or world (paraphrased from wikipedia.)

This means that there's a universe where I'm not an alcoholic and Jerry Lewis never existed. At this point I'll settle for one where I'm still a drunk but there's no Jerry Lewis. Right now Jerry seems like a bigger threat to my well being.

I like old movies and there's one w/ Dean Martin on right now but Jerry is in it too and he's just agitating as hell, which is a bummer cause Dean sings really well. Sigh.

Seriously, the point I've lost my way in making is what seems like the un-avoidability of this 'disease.' I mean, by the time it occurred to me to change I was well past the point of doing so comfortably. Not to imply that I'm dwelling on the past, but I'd just to ask the versions of myself in alternative realities, "when and how did you stop, and is Jerry Lewis a universal plague?"

Perhaps I can be comforted by the notion that there's a version of me in another reality, already intoxicated to a Friday night standard, who gives me freedom to be sober in this reality. Thanks for reading and good luck.
LOL, funny post!

Don't forget, there's a universe in which you drink and are not an alcoholic!

Frankly I find much of quantum theory an area of great interest to sit around and ponder but to apply to something as tangible and real to me as everyday life? Mehh.

I don't extract much usable philosophy for living from knowing that subatomic particles have superposition attributes--that's ability to be both "here" and "there" at the same time. lol

Thx - enjoyable, Ghost

Ten
Old 05-05-2007, 10:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Sorry ghost.....

I am Jerry.....

Love,

:andy:

Sherry
Old 05-05-2007, 10:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Are you Jerry or Sherry...
Old 05-07-2007, 12:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
IO Storm

How far down the rabbit hole do You want to go?
Old 05-07-2007, 05:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Jerry Lee Lewis? The Killer?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Haaa Haaa

Windysan..you're as funny as your pic!

IO
Old 05-07-2007, 11:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IO Storm View Post
How far down the rabbit hole do You want to go?
Oh, crap. i get it now duhhh. Went right over my head!! You are sharp, Jerry!
Old 05-08-2007, 03:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If anyone is interested in M theory and multiverse stuff I came across this video the other day.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...uration%3Along

It is pretty interesting.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Supercalifragilistic!

Cool post. I just watched What the bleep, down the rabbit hole, the other night. It made me think about addiction in an entirely new light. Remember the explanation given at the wedding party? It's as if our brain cells have their own consciencness and don't want to face extinction. Just like those damn AGENTS in the matrix.

I call my addiction "Agent" LOL
Old 05-11-2007, 12:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
On a tear

I love science fiction and the idea of many-worlds. I suppose in one, Jerry is not the ambassador of France... in another world, perhaps I am not a high-bottom drunk, but someone who progressed all the way to death, with every stop in between.

Heinlein wrote a funny novel about many-worlds, called Job: A Comedy of Justice, that I found pretty entertaining... you can probably pick up a used copy for a penny plus shipping on Aamazon... kept me smiling.

And might even explain the Plague of Lewis... in some version.