SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   The Big Book (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/121516-big-book.html)

marius404 04-20-2007 09:20 PM

The Big Book

I am curious. What is the relationship between the big book and AA? Is AA based off of The Big Book or is the book based off of AA? When going to AA is reading and following the guidelines off this book the basis of the program? Are there AA groups that do not use this book?

How much relivance does the book have in the AA comunity?

GlassPrisoner 04-20-2007 09:33 PM

AA is based on the Big Book.

It was orginally written for those who couldn't find fellowship due to distance, and AA being a fledgling orginazation.

Supposedly, an Alcoholic could get everything they needed from the Big Book.

Even today, every 12 step AA study or workshop is based on the 1st 164 pages.

Ten Chips Down 04-20-2007 10:00 PM

little history fer ya

Hi Marius,

Copyright 1939, The Big Book is actually titled, "Alcoholics Anonymous." The term "Big Book" came into use because of the original stock used to print them in the 40s. The pages were thick and the books quite large as a result. Program and book are pretty much "based off" each other, since they are inseparable.

"When going to AA is reading and following the guidelines off this book the basis of the program?"

Absolutely. There are different types of meetings--such as Open Discussion--in which the BB is seldom used during; however it still forms the backbone of the program.

"Are there AA groups that do not use this book?"

There are no Alcoholics Anonymous groups which do not use its founding text, Alcoholics Anonymous as a core guide, as GlassP said.

Hope this helps!

Ten

Zencat 04-20-2007 10:43 PM

There is an agnostic meeting in NY that doesn’t use the big book that often. They have their own 12 steps, and are recognized by the AA WSO as an AA meeting.

zencat

marius404 04-20-2007 10:49 PM

Hey Zencat, if you have anymore info about this group I would love to learn more!

Zencat 04-21-2007 12:04 AM

Here you go, all that I know about the group is their web page. I have often thought starting a meeting like that of my own.

http://www.agnosticaanyc.org/home.html

Ten Chips Down 04-21-2007 04:03 AM

The Agnostic Preamble
This group of A.A. attempts to maintain a tradition of free expression, and conduct a meeting where alcoholics may feel free to express any doubts or disbeliefs they may have, and to share their own personal form of spiritual experience, their search for it, or their rejection of it. We do not endorse or oppose any form of religion or atheism. Our only wish is to assure suffering alcoholics that they can find sobriety in A.A. without having to accept anyone else's beliefs or having to deny their own.

Holy Moses!! That's interesting. If you'd told me this as kind of a "rumor" and said they were still official AA, I woulda laughed. lol

Very interesting Cat - thanks!

Leo_the_Cat 04-21-2007 05:56 AM

That same group has compiled a list of other agnostic AA meetings.

http://www.agnosticaanyc.org/worldwide.html

windysan 04-21-2007 08:07 AM

i always found the big book funny and cornball with it's old 1930's jargon.

Getting "tight", "wet blanket".....and so on.

marius404 04-21-2007 12:33 PM

Seems like this progressive AA group got it right and figured out the right way to be able to include everyone with out prejudice. A very positive example. I hope groups like this spread!

historyteach 04-21-2007 12:56 PM

Marius;
You can start your own atheist AA group, you know. :yup:
Contact the main office, and there's rules you must comply with in order to do so, but, I think it would be a fabulous idea for you or any of our secular group to do so. That's exactly how it WILL spread, as a matter of fact! :e058:
Think about it and let us know what you decide!

Shalom!

marius404 04-21-2007 02:16 PM

I would not want to start an atheist AA group. I don't see how belief in a HP one way or the other should matter. What matters is helping everyone who wants to be helped.

historyteach 04-21-2007 04:40 PM

Marius;
An atheist AA group wouldn't hold to the HP concept.
Did you read any of the link?
It is held WITHOUT those ideas!
So, helping everyone who wants help is the whole idea! Including those who have difficulty with a HP. It wouldn't be an issue in an atheist AA. There is none there.

Shalom!

doorknob 04-21-2007 04:54 PM

It would probably make more sense to call it a secular group. IOW, it wouldn't matter whether you are religious/spiritual or not, because for the purpose of the group that wouldn't be relevant. LifeRing and SOS both operate on this principle. There are some religious folks who also prefer that format because they feel that their beliefs are a separate issue from their recovery.