SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Secular Connections (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/)
-   -   O'Reilly to Interview Richard Dawkins (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/121403-oreilly-interview-richard-dawkins.html)

marius404 04-19-2007 02:34 PM

O'Reilly to Interview Richard Dawkins

Richard Dawkins will be interviewed by O'Reilly on Monday, April 23, 8:00pm EST.

I really think this is a bad move for Dawkins. O'Reilly will, most likely, not give him a fair shake.

I don't see anything good coming from this.But, ofcourse, I will be watching.And I hope I get proven wrong.

So...any predictions?

Will O'Reilly tell Richard Dawkins to "shut up"? and how many times will he tell him?

Will Dawkins let O'Reilly get under his skin or will he be cool as a cucumber?

Will O'Reilly yell "pull his mic!"?

What loaded/unloaded questions will O'Reilly ask him?(I betting on "Why do you lead a crusade against Christianity?")

Ten Chips Down 04-21-2007 04:12 AM

thanx!!!!

Originally Posted by marius404 (Post 1297100)
What loaded/unloaded questions will O'Reilly ask him?(I betting on "Why do you lead a crusade against Christianity?")

LOL

Marius... You're a true blue asset to this forum, mate.

All your guesses about O'Reilly are just dead-on.

To be sure, one must question Dawkins' decision to do this--yet, it's no secret who O'Reilly is, so in a sense R.D. deserves whatever treatment/publicity outcome he gets.

Thanks, I'm there on Monday!!

Ten

marius404 04-21-2007 12:27 PM

The only reason I can think of that he would want to go on the show is more publicity for his book....but how many of the people who watch fox news will be interested in buying it? I guess the way to look at it is if his message reaches even one person it is worth it. If it causes one person to question the validity of their beliefs it is worth it. Right or wrong, there are plenty of people out there who have never taken the time to research what they have been taught to believe. This is something I believe everyone should do.

Btw, I found a interview O'Reilly did with Sam Harris and was impressed. Sam did a great job getting his points across and O'Reilly behaved himself. So there is hope,hehe.

best 04-21-2007 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by marius404 (Post 1299976)
I guess the way to look at it is if his message reaches even one person it is worth it. If it causes one person to question the validity of their beliefs it is worth it. Satan is hoping for just that and Dawkins is his puppet Right or wrong, there are plenty of people out there who have never taken the time to research what they have been taught to believe. This is something I believe everyone should do. I have researched what I believe and I find dawkins to be a selfserving misguided person.

as you said...why would he go on Fox? To sell more books?
Christianty isn't out to sell more books. The bible is already at the top of every book list's number one seller.

marius404 04-21-2007 12:43 PM

Sorry Best, I am not in the business of feeding trolls. The Christians in recovery section awaits your return!

best 04-21-2007 12:47 PM

Can't accept both sides of things?
I am thinking O'rielly will cave and not hold firm.

andshewas 04-21-2007 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by best (Post 1299986)
as you said...why would he go on Fox? To sell more books?
Christianty isn't out to sell more books. The bible is already at the top of every book list's number one seller.

Dude! As a former bookseller I can tell you that the bible is a steady seller, but it is not at the top of every list. It has cycles (after tragedies, at confirmation/holiday times).

If Christianity is not out to sell more books, what's with all the Chicken Soup, and Christian Fiction stuff soming out in the last decade? To say nothing of the Left Behind series.....

The "Satan" stuff is not going to help turn anyone's head in this area, I am pretty sure.

best 04-21-2007 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by andshewas (Post 1300062)

If Christianity is not out to sell more books, what's with all the Chicken Soup, and Christian Fiction stuff soming out in the last decade? To say nothing of the Left Behind series.....

The "Satan" stuff is not going to help turn anyone's head in this area, I am pretty sure.

Why people write books is of their own agenda. Some do so for the money, some do so to share a message they want to share with people... could be why dawkins is doing it but the thing that drives him and others...the root reason... pride, greed, compassion for others...If a person is selling a book and they are doing so for the sake of Christianity... they would be doing so for compassionate reasons. I know that many do sell books in the namesake of Christianity and do so for other reasons beside compassion for others. I have issue to some degree with some who say they are sharing for the sake of Christianity but are the first in line when it comes to yelling about copyrights. But that is another subject.

As for the satan stuff... You are right. It doesn't sell well. It never sold well for me either... still though... as I study and understand what is written in the bible, I find that statement to be truth...even if it doesn't sell well.
Anyway... Come Monday I will need put claim to one of the TV remotes at 8PM and see what happens. Should be interesting either way.

Sunflower 04-21-2007 03:36 PM

I always love a good debate----Bill will be fine....

best 04-21-2007 03:37 PM

To say nothing of the Left Behind series.....

The book, the movie or the Left Behind video game? *LOL*
I can't know another persons heart 100% but from what I have read and heard from the Left Behind authors... I hope their agenda is what I am seeing and not that of greed. From what I see, they do so for the sake of sharing a message.

andshewas 04-21-2007 03:48 PM

I am going to follow the lead of Masrius and not feed you. He is right- there is, after all, a specific area for Christian-related things.

doorknob 04-21-2007 04:12 PM

It gave me a chuckle...

I'm sure either FSM or IPU could handle Satan, so I'm not sweating it...

:doug

I know how it may seem, but Best is a good guy and has always offered me support when I was down, even when I posted my distress in Secular Connections. And he's never pushed his beliefs on me in doing so. He may like to stir the pot a little but I wouldn't say he's a troll. :D

marius404 04-21-2007 05:18 PM

I'm sure either FSM or IPU could handle Satan, so I'm not sweating it...

....Satan is the invisible pink unicorns puppet!!!!!!!!!!!!

historyteach 04-21-2007 05:22 PM

What's FSM or IPU??? :dunno

Shalom!

Sunflower 04-21-2007 05:23 PM

I have read the ''left behind''series--they were great! fiction/not fiction?
Even to an atheist they would like the read.
it can be preachy in the later books but it gets it message across that way....
do you have to believe everything you read to enjoy it????

marius404 04-21-2007 05:42 PM

One of my favorite authors is J.R.R. Tolkien. I enjoy reading stuff like that when I have time. A long long time ago I read the first 6 books or so of the left behind series.Obviously, I got some enjoyment out of it or I woulda quit after the first one :)

doorknob 04-21-2007 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by historyteach (Post 1300301)
What's FSM or IPU??? :dunno

Shalom!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_Pink_Unicorn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

historyteach 04-21-2007 06:01 PM

:haha:

Thanks, DK! :lmao:

Shalom!

Sunflower 04-22-2007 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
lighting a candle for you all lol

marius404 04-23-2007 08:04 PM

The interview is already on the net. I just watched it. Not much to say really. Papa Bear's main point was that he was gonna believe in jesus cause christianity has a story that explains the existance of the universe. Satan's puppet, ahem, I mean, Richard Dawkins simply said that science does not have all the answers yet(as to the origin of the universe) but that god of the gaps doesn't quite cut it.

The interview was short. Too short for either side to explain there position properly. All in all I am unimpressed. I do hope it will sell a few more copies of the god delusion though.