Sponsors in AA?

Old 02-11-2007, 07:31 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

The rules are very reasonable.

A discussion of whether atheists are able to use 12 step programs or not in their recovery should comply with the rules so long as it is conducted in a respectful manner. It is a huge issue for atheists since 12 step programs are the most recognized and dominant method for addiction treatment.

As an atheist who used to be a member of AA and who still has friends in the program, I find the discussion of others' views and experiences very helpful.

Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Sober Recovery expects only that folks follow the rules. The rules that were agreed to upon registering, and that they use a little common sense, and mutual respect.

None of that has anything to do with religion, spirituality, atheists, book thumpers, or loners.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:12 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi Paul

Do you ever lead at your group? What do you do when the subject is one of those that insinuate that Higher Power is a must, do you read it anyway? I simply skip the meeting and have even left before the meeting started if I just learn the topic of the night.

AB

Originally Posted by paulmh View Post
And my SECULAR RECOVERY is undertaken in AA. I'd be grateful if you could remember that, too.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:29 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
To Life!

AB,
That's probably the best thing to do, if you need to.
Others can leave that part alone.
Each of us is individual. Do whatever works for you. The goal is staying clean and sober.

Shalom!
Old 02-11-2007, 08:35 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

We don't have "topic" meetings anywhere that I go AB. I don't know of any anywhere in the UK. I'm sure if I did go to one I would enjoy it. I don't have to agree with everything that's said in a meeting. Part of my recovery is learning how not to wig out when people say things I don't agree with.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:50 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Theology is always debatable. There is always a way to do it respectfully. People invest a lot into their beliefs and it may become heated. It's a discussion worth having. Over and over if need be... It's thought provoking and valid IMO.

I'm starting to feel like the AA point of view receives preferential treatment at times. Personally, I've felt a lot of condescension from aa's when people want to discuss the program in unflattering light. I wish that weren't true, but it is. I don't like seeing people getting shut down, just for being real and sharing what they think or what they've experienced. (negative or positive)

Aren't we more evolved than that? Why must it be assumed that discussing these things will turn into a mud-slinging free for all?? I wonder why people that believe so devoutly in a higher power would concern themselves with the secular portion of this site??? I thought there was a place for us here.

I hope none of the secular 'regulars' go wandering into the christians in recovery, or spirituality section to criticize what they're talking about over there.. I know I don't!

I just wanted to get that off my chest. sorry...
Old 02-11-2007, 10:06 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
To Life!

The title of this thread is Sponsors in AA.
It's not a debate about theology.
Please lets stay on topic.

Shalom!
Old 02-11-2007, 10:25 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Teach, I apologize. I thought I was going with the flow of the conversation. I just thought I'd share my feelings on the direction of the thread. I didn't mean to start anything.
sorry,
M
Old 02-11-2007, 10:37 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
To Life!

No problems, wandergrrl!

Shalom!
Old 02-11-2007, 10:49 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hi Paul

I should have used the word topic. What I meant is that if I find out that I am scheduled to read Chapter 4 of the BB or Step 2 (or anything like it) I just skip the meeting.

AB

Originally Posted by paulmh View Post
We don't have "topic" meetings anywhere that I go AB. I don't know of any anywhere in the UK. I'm sure if I did go to one I would enjoy it. I don't have to agree with everything that's said in a meeting. Part of my recovery is learning how not to wig out when people say things I don't agree with.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:01 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hi HT

"Yes others can leave that part alone"

But

Most Atheists condemn AA's stance and ideas on Atheism. Funny that non-Alcoholic Atheists are even more vocal than Atheists in Recovery. Atheists that function in AA are in no way a large percentage of Atheists.

Being a drunk is not the only way a person can degrade themselves, it is often a experience in sobriety.

I use AA but I do not view it through Rose colored glasses. Still I would say to a newcomer Alcoholic Atheist that AA is better than being a drunk.

AB

Originally Posted by historyteach View Post
AB,
That's probably the best thing to do, if you need to.
Others can leave that part alone.
Each of us is individual. Do whatever works for you. The goal is staying clean and sober.

Shalom!
Old 02-11-2007, 04:34 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
To Life!

"If you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth."
Ghandi

The majority is irrelevant. What matters is getting sober for the alcoholic. Nothing else. Because you're right; it's better than being drunk. Do what you have to do.

Shalom!
Old 02-11-2007, 07:22 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.

---Martin Luther King, Jr.. Baptist minister who led the civil-rights movement in the US, 1929-1968

Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly. I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality.

--- Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-68), African-American reverend, civil rights leader

Most Quotable statements will weigh against prejudice teachings.

AB

"If you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth."
Ghandi

The majority is irrelevant. What matters is getting sober for the alcoholic. Nothing else. Because you're right; it's better than being drunk. Do what you have to do.

Shalom!
Old 02-12-2007, 02:24 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
To Life!

We've been here before.
And it's been made clear to you that this fight is NOT what this forum is for.

If you read what I said, I AGREED with you!
I will NOT continue this rediculous arguement. If you want to focus on a miniscule section of the entire program, you pervert the entire program.
But, do not continue the bashing here.

Furthermore, 1,000 other quotes do not take away the truth of this one by Ghandi.
(That's rather the point of the quote, btw... )
Did you know ML King Jr studied Ghandi?

Shalom!
Old 02-12-2007, 05:37 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi

Yes I know the King Ghandi connection

Basically what I have been saying is that what we say and write stands on its own. Please do not minimize my point, this is the entire AA stance on Atheists, it would be different if somewhere in the Literature being taught there was a decent comment directed towards Atheists.

Simply do not answer this and the discussion is over and this is not bashing it is part of the Foundations of AA.

AB

We've been here before.
And it's been made clear to you that this fight is NOT what this forum is for.

If you read what I said, I AGREED with you!
I will NOT continue this rediculous arguement. If you want to focus on a miniscule section of the entire program, you pervert the entire program.
But, do not continue the bashing here.

Furthermore, 1,000 other quotes do not take away the truth of this one by Ghandi.
(That's rather the point of the quote, btw... )
Did you know ML King Jr studied Ghandi?

Shalom!