Thiq is interesting

Old 01-20-2007, 05:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thiq is interesting

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but I find this article interesting.

http://webpages.charter.net/rfhale/thiq.htm

Apparently, research indicates normal rats placed in a cage with an alcohol solution ignored it. Inject thiq in same rats and they went to town on it.

Dormant thiq in the brains of abstaining alcoholics may explain the rate and severity of relapse.

If true, this may answer a whole lot of questions

Keep well

Ron
Old 01-20-2007, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Here is the original article the author of the link you gave was referring to.
http://www.nature.com/npp/journal/v2.../1300183a.html
It is still a theory as some studies have shown a link and others have not.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The book "Under the Influence" also references a study with rats. Apparently, they can "make" rats drink booze when they normally wouldn't.

Edit:

If the brain does not manufacture THIQ we cannot become alcoholic, even if we drink a freight train load
Well, he lost all credibility right there. The amount of alcohol one consumes in no way influences whether or not they are alcoholic.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by GlassPrisoner View Post
Well, he lost all credibility right there. The amount of alcohol one consumes in no way influences whether or not they are alcoholic.
It sounds to me like that is exactly what he is saying.

Personally, I believe lack of genetic predisposition can be made up for by repeated exposure to large quanities of alcohol. Body chemistry can be altered by abuse, just like with other drugs.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with doorknob. Sure, there's genetics at works, but it seems wrong to divide humans into two strict groups of alcoholics and non-alcoholics. If anyone drank a quart of vodka a day for a few years (say by being forced), you'd see an alcoholic at the end of that time. It is addict-ive... it can make you addicted.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

'This is a summary of research results, a compilation of observations of mine, all tossed together with speculations based on my education and expertise.'

lol, how scientific.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Genetics may or may not play a role in determining addiction. I think the issue is fairly complex.

Humans are thinking beings with free will. Hence, a genetic tendency to abuse a substance is far less important than the person's choices. A rat, a creature of instinct, is ruled by hard and fast rules of survival.

Addiction is likely the culmination of several factors, emotional, learned behaviour, and disposition. Although this THIQ is apparent in the alcoholic brain, it can't be the only reason for the progression of abuse.

So, although I may have increased the amount of THIQ in my brain, that by itself cannot be the reasons for my past relapses, or my addictive personality itself.

I doubt that there will ever be a magic pill or procedure to eliminate THIQ, and even if there were, this would not have much effect on a person's addictive tendencies.

Keep well

Ron