Any Rational Recovery Types? Or all 12 Steppers?

Old 12-01-2006, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any Rational Recovery Types? Or all 12 Steppers?

I was wondering if everyone here is a twelve stepper, or are there some "Rational Recovery" types. I don't want to start a big debate. I think there is some validity in each method, and the important thing is what works for you. A lot of the RR theories make sense to me, althought I still find some flaws in the authors logic.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I think most on this board use SMART Recovery techniques. There are a few secular 12-Steppers, and several DIY (Do It Yourself) or eclectic recovery people, who borrow ideas from an array of programs and philosophies. I find myself mostly drawn to LifeRing, which doesn't have meetings in my area, but is very big in The Bay (Oakland native here).

Welcome to the board!

DK
Old 12-01-2006, 03:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh, I see my thread was moved.

Thanks for the links. Interesting stuff.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I started out doing AA.....sure saved my ass early on in the game. Now I'm just a do-it-yourselfer.

The religious stuff makes me nervous......and when I get nervous.....I want nervous medicine. mmmmhhhmmmmm

Old 12-01-2006, 05:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I started out as a member of AA and CA but I do not consider myself one anymore. I've been a DIY for over a year but I am interested in SMART.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I do SMART. I feel it takes the best from RR without all the AA bashing.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi

I go to 12 Step meetings and survive it

I know that a lot of the 12 Step Programs are just stuff made by the founders or are ideas borrowed from the Christian religion or borrowed philosophy & old sayings. Add to this the ideas and experiences of the membership and there is something beneficial for people to receive.

Just filter out all the negativity, biases and false statements in the older messages.

AB

Originally Posted by Swimming View Post
I was wondering if everyone here is a twelve stepper, or are there some "Rational Recovery" types. I don't want to start a big debate. I think there is some validity in each method, and the important thing is what works for you. A lot of the RR theories make sense to me, althought I still find some flaws in the authors logic.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

swimm wrote
I was wondering if everyone here is a twelve stepper, or are there some "Rational Recovery" types.
well swim... today, i believe i'm a rational person... thanks to my emotional re-arangement... i learn from all...
my real beliefs go way back before AA, NA, CA, RR, LR, Smart, and Aunt Tilly lol!

a belief in life, real honesty (self with self/others) and freely helping another...

good wishes swimm............................... xxoo, rz

ps, i do like the words and wisdom of old poems, prayers and blessings...
Old 12-03-2006, 05:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

DIY I guess.

Did AA/NA for a bit - faked it, made it, still felt fake and so I left it behind a few months ago. Just like stopping using, I've yet to regret it.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am mostly DIY. SMART Recovery was/is very helpful.
I did not go to any meetings.
SMART on line provided me with the human contact that I needed; and, the cognitive tools that I needed.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Started out with AA, hang around with SMART Recovery but am currently losing my interest in that too as it gets all too uptight, so basically most of it is DYI for me and some SoberRecovery thrown in the mix, of course.

Marte
Old 12-16-2006, 09:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I like RR. It brought back a sense of personal power to me which I really needed. SMART is really similar and I like it too. I found it only after reading about RR. I thought before that, AA was the only choice. Which I participated in at first but, for me it was hard to digest.

I tend to stay away from group meetings of any type because I agree with RR's analysis of the dysfunction this can create. I disagree with a few things in RR as well.

I guess I'm an ecclectic DIY-er. I tend to be this way in almost every aspect of my life really...
my 10cnts
-moni
Old 12-17-2006, 08:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I went thru rehab,enforced AA/NA..kinda fell itno place in NA for the first month out of rehab then someone I went to rehab with got me into rr which made so much more sense then na, to me at least..now I would say more diy..its all got good and bad points so I just personally come around when I need a pick me up, or to remind myself where I dont want to be again..