Thought about going to an AA or NA meeting...

Old 12-23-2006, 09:05 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

If I heard the phrase "spiritually and morally bankrupt" again I was gonna have to vomit then jump off a building.

Maybe vomit again in mid-air.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:14 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by BSPGirl View Post
Most wonderful thing ever said to me in a AA meeting was 'you're too smart to get this program'. lmfao

Marte
In other words, you haven't drank enough to cause the required brain damage to believe in mythology and superstition.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:15 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
If I heard the phrase "spiritually and morally bankrupt" again I was gonna have to vomit then jump off a building.

Maybe vomit again in mid-air.
Word.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:30 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

neither AA nor NA make a lot of difference.
The plain fact is: People do it on their own. No one else can.
That is an empowerment.

One does not stay "in recovery" unto death, either.

If one wants peer support for a period of time, there are many options. Invest the time and effort necessary to find a group that fits your needs.

Determine what needs to be done; do it; and, get on with living life.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:15 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I'm probably a weak agnostic, and while some the steps and literature are dead-on about the attitude and warped perceptions of alcoholics/addicts, there are some steps I don't understand, especially Steps 6 and 7, about asking/having God (HP) "remove my defects".

How will I know all this has happened? What if I ask, and He says no? I have made the conscious decision to attend meetings, but I approach with trepidation. Does "take what you want and leave the rest" pertain to the Steps as well?
Old 01-01-2007, 04:22 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Stairmaster

Your parents left the program them, when we stop doing steps 10, 11, 12 for the rest of our lives ,not when we need it, for the rest...we will pick up a drink . Humble yourself go to different meetings in other areas and listen. Rehab is a great place to start the head clearing process, but what do you do when you hit the parking lot your last day? You will not keep sobriety if you don't give back FACT!!!!
Old 01-01-2007, 04:48 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

???
Old 01-01-2007, 05:25 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
To Life!

WElcome to SR, Rockjock, and New Guy!!!
And welcome to the secular forum!
I hope you will find a welcoming path here and learn to overcome your addictions in whatever way works best for you.

MCDO, this is the secular forum. You're welcome to share secular ideas of recovery here. Otherwise, the AA forum is up a few forums. Just go to the main menu and you'll see it. Thanks for your cooperation.

Shalom!
Old 01-01-2007, 07:02 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hi

I think that even some of the other foundations of AA hurt people.

Seems that the AA texts always describe the alcoholic personality as control freaks that always want to play God.

I know plenty of Alcoholics that drank who were not in charge of their lives and partially reacted to this by drinking more. There are plenty of people who are addicted partially because of depression or anxiety. I think the these "absolute scenarios" created in AA hurt just as many people has they help.

AB

Originally Posted by thenewguy View Post
I'm probably a weak agnostic, and while some the steps and literature are dead-on about the attitude and warped perceptions of alcoholics/addicts, there are some steps I don't understand, especially Steps 6 and 7, about asking/having God (HP) "remove my defects".

How will I know all this has happened? What if I ask, and He says no? I have made the conscious decision to attend meetings, but I approach with trepidation. Does "take what you want and leave the rest" pertain to the Steps as well?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:59 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I did dope in order to get high....not because I wanted to play god. It wasn't some character defect. I just liked the feeling. Pretty simple really.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:41 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by logo View Post
The facts are NA and AA has worked for thousands of people and is a proven way to stay clean and sober and find a new way to live. If it doesn't work for you so be it. If a person doesn't change there thought and belief process they are prone to keep making the same mistakes over and over. What ever you do come back in a year and let us know how it worked out for you. Love and Respect. p.s.The lie is dead we do recover.
Fabulous, I'm pleased that AA/NA has worked for thousands of people. I am genuinely pleased for anyone who finds peace and sobriety through it.

However, not attending AA/NA has also worked for thousands of people. The evangelical (ardent converter) methods of AA (I should say, some AAers) are very disturbing to those of us who have decided against it. I thought the 12th Step was about carrying the message to those who want it rather than implying to those who have made a conscious choice that they don't want it that they will be - what is it - locked up or covered up? - if they don't accept.

It endangers my own abstinence when it is implied that my choices are proven beyond question to be inherently wrong. I wouldn't do that to someone for whom AA is working because I respect that abstinence is so precious to all of us.

Other methods can work and people can be free not only of drink (or whatever your Beast is) but also of meetings. I get the impression that some (not all) AAers are afraid of those of us who make other choices. I don't see any secular non-AA people on the AA focused boards expressing anti-AA views.

Freedom of choice is paramount whether it be freedom of or from religion, freedom of speech and freedom to choose a recovery methods that suits one's own personal needs.

I would repeat - I am not anti-AA. I am anti closed shop.

Best wishes
Jane
Old 01-04-2007, 05:14 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Indian Givers?

Originally Posted by mcdo1268 View Post
You will not keep sobriety if you don't give back FACT!!!!
How very serene of you to share that message. I would hope that there is no element of schadenfreude to your statement.

Using your maxim I would like to extend the gifts of thoughtfulness, hopefulness and tolerance to all.